• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need information on two data plates on a 44 CCKW 353

b17goinmyway

Hi, I have two data plates on my 44 353 that I would like to get some information on. The first is located on the top left corner of the dash and has english on the top section that starts with the work Overdrive. The bottom section is written in possible German or Dutch or ?. The last word appears to be Werden. The tag is very faded and hard to make our the words. The other tag is a rebuild tag that has what appears to be an ordnance bomb emblem on it with the words "Rebuild by K C and then I think the words "Fairfield Ordnance Center" Also has the words " Rebuilt R.F.I. then 15 10 49 which I take to be 15 Oct. 1949. The tag with the foreign langage on it leads me to believe that this truck may have been sent to Europe during the war. I do not know were the rebuild took place and would like any info on that rebuild tag. This truck is not a recent return (90's) as one can see in the photos. Is it possible that some trucks were return the US say with in the first 10 years after WW2?. Anyhow any information on these two tags would be helpful and interesting. thanks Dan

April 1 2017 012.jpg April 1 2017 018.jpg March 25 2017 083.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Data plate with "overdrive" says in German that 5th gear is locked out. Your truck was rebuilt by the US Army in Germany and returned to the US before being disposed.

b17goinmyway

Wow, thanks NDT. I did not think that any CCKWs were returned back to the US unless imported by private collectors later on once these trucks were surplused out by the various countries that we gave them to after the war. Do you know where the rebuild depot was in Germany? Interesting to know that this truck was in Europe. thanks

b17goinmyway

Also would you know the approx. date of delivery based on the serial number. Unfortunately the data plate with that information is missing from my dash. I was hoping that with other known DOD and serial numbers that an approx. DOD time period could be determined. My serial number is 407275. I was assuming that this number, from the frame was a sequential production number. And one more question while on the subject of serial numbers. The number stamped on my engine block is SG 270444381 (see photo). I believe the 270 references the cubic size of the motor, but would I be correct that the 444381 number would have been a production serial number from another CCKW made after mine? I understand that the engines would have been switched around as needed and during depot rebuilds as well. thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The motor number and frame number never matched at the factory to the best of my knowledge. The VIN plate is not on the dash, it is on the firewall, in the center. Lots of times it is painted over and hard to see. Your frame VIN is in the correct range for late war production, I'll verify tonight.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi NDT, Did you know where the rebuild plant K/C in Germany was located? thanks

Dan
Hmm, the bomb symbol is Army Ordnance. K stands for "Kaserne" which means barracks. Looking at the Wikipedia reference on US Army installations in Germany, it might be Kaserne Conn or Coleman, not sure. The US Army had a huge presence in Europe during that era.

b17goinmyway

Ok that will give me some intel to reference. The emblem also had what I believe to be the words. "Fairfield Ordnance Center" on the bottom part of the circle. Hard to read but that is what it looked like. You can see the large K to the left of the bomb symbol and the C to the right with the works Rebuilt By just over the top of the Circled emblem. Interesting. thanks Dan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks