• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck-Lite LED Headlights----Finally Ordered a set.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The upper plastic insert for the headlight adjustment screw is a total POS.
Both needed and were replaced with new when first got truck.

Went to adjust new headlights tonight, didn't even get one turn with the screwdriver and it stripped.
Other did same thing.

Definitely need to improve that setup.
Cheap China plastic isn't cutting it.

So much for the night drive.
Now I get to fix it in the morning.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GM doesn't make them anymore.
Only choice is cheap China now.

Anyone have a better idea that works I'm all ears.

cucvrus

Take every one you see at the YOUPULLIT. I take every headlamp bucket I see. I just snagged 2 sets of Astro van seat base pedestals to mount in some M1009's. The original ones are to high for the GM seats out of the 2017 vans. But finding the correct thread nut sert would work or just getting some new one from Dorman. I think you can easily fix that issue.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a very easy fix.
Just a pain.

The Dorman cheap plastic doesnt hold very well against the bucket spring tension.

Adjust it and leave it.
Touch it again and it strips out.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put a little never seize in the threads. Because they rust on me over time. Then later when I need to adjust them the screw isn't stuck to the plastic making them strip. This lets me adjust them again.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's fixed
New inserts installed

Found the main reason why they strip so easily

The headlight bucket rides on 4 slightly raised sections or tabs pressed into radiator support frame.
Kinda like a bowl, and it only contacts those four raised areas.
That way it can be moved up, down, left, right, without the bucket hitting the entire cutout portion of the support
The bucket/bowl is steel.
The support is steel.
Old truck and add some old paint.

With the bucket spring tension, it could not move freely anymore due to age, etc.
Wasnt rusted, just weathered.
Steel on steel and no new smooth paint or lube.
Way Way too much friction for the inserts to overcome.

Removed and Cleaned them up
Fresh lube applied.
Problem solved.

Works beautifully now.

Did a semi rough adjustment and it was butter smooth!!

Final adjustment tomorrow
As soon as the cucv headlight issue was fixed, had to work on a tractor.
That ate up rest of day.
Im done for today.

cucvrus

I was going to tell you about the lube on the buckets and support but I thought you already knew that. The bolt and nut method would be a PITA to do slight adjustments for inspection. We have Pennsylvania state safety inspection and headlamp adjustment is part of that. I found that once must vehicle have the headlamps adjusted with the projectors they never need adjusted again till the headlamp is changed or damaged. Now with the composite lights adjustment has become a thing of the past for the old Hoppy headlamp projectors. A wall chart or wall work well. Good to hear you fixed it. You were asking a lot from the plastic inserts if the were dragging over 2 rusty surfaces.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly
Asking wayyyy too much!
They weren't rusted, but dry metal to metal.

I will always remember to keep it lubed now.

milmad

Hi
First - sorry for my english :). Could you get me somethig tips - where can i order this lights ( of coursee in good price ) and what exactly i'll need to replace this lights in my cucv. I have to order all what i need for first time because shipping coast from US to Poland is very - very high.

Thanks for all

cucvrus

All you need is the lights. they are available on Amazon and they are a direct fit. You remove the existing headlamps and plug these LED Trucklite head lamps in and reinstall the headlamp buckets. That easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks