• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

McGuyver's M101 trailer project

McGuyver

Thought I'd start a thread to consolidate all the previous posts I have made about this.
Wheel studs:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=165717

Axle capacity:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=165796

Brake parts:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=165746

Wheels:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=165342

Axle swap:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=162634

So I swapped axles on my M101A1, over to an A2 axle. I bought new parking brake cables from Saturn Surplus. It's not the same part number that is listed in the TM, But the guy I spoke to says he's been selling them for M101A2's for ~20 years. So I went ahead and bought a pair. They arrived, and I compared them to the rusty seized up one I am replacing, and it's the same in every other respect except that it's about 6" longer. :/
So now I have to decide how to remedy this. I could drill a hole on the frame 6" back from where it currently mounts as I've seen some mention of here before (not a big fan of this option), or I could shorten the cable by 6".
Has anyone tried this latter option? Did you do a lap joint using two cable crimp connectors, or did you use just a single butt connector?
If you did a single butt connection, can you share a link to the kind that you used? I haven't found anything that is an exact match to the one that is on there presently.
The cable size is 9/64" (.141).
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

McGuyver

Some pics of the axle swap

Some pictures of the axle swap. It lowered the trailer ~2.25" going from the 9.00-16" NDT tires to 235/85R16 tires. I then decided to swap to a pair of 265/75R16's that I liked better that are pretty much the same height as the 235/85R16's.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job on the swap.
Plans to install the surge brake coupler?
Trailer brakes are always nice.

The green wheels are definitely a different shade.

McGuyver

Yeah, I may do the surge brake, if I can do it affordable. The paint on the wheels is just krylon cammo paint from Walmart. It was less than $4 a can. I figured it was better than leaving them white. You're right about it being lighter than the 34094 forest green. I'll probably order some of that, but for now this works.

McGuyver

I got the correct cable length now and the parking brake is all installed and working without drilling any new holes or making any modifications. Very glad to have that resolved, since that is one of my favorite features of this trailer.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flat black works wonders
Would look like an A2 with them black.

Croft trailer supply has all the surge brake parts if you can't find them used.

McGuyver

Yeah I knew about croft, but going new would run me about $450. Would be better if I could find a setup used in good condition.
I might go flat black on the wheels. Then again, this color of green is kind of growing on me. And it's cheap. We'll see. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The one in the link actually looks more like the early DRASH style to me. Identical from what I can tell to the m101a2/a3 style, but it has reinforcements that wrap around the side of the trailer frame. I think you can actually cut all that stuff off and it will be the same as it's just an m101a2/a3 style welded to another plate.

The m101a2/a3, m416a1, and early DRASH trailers all have similar surge brakes that share the same/interchangable parts but with slightly different outer castings.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need the lower casting that the surge brake assembly bolts to , I have NOS ones in the classifieds.......

Z

McGuyver

Yep, I bought one from you a few months ago, thank you. Looking for the rest of it now...

Last edited:

McGuyver

The one in the link actually looks more like the early DRASH style to me. Identical from what I can tell to the m101a2/a3 style, but it has reinforcements that wrap around the side of the trailer frame. I think you can actually cut all that stuff off and it will be the same as it's just an m101a2/a3 style welded to another plate.

The m101a2/a3, m416a1, and early DRASH trailers all have similar surge brakes that share the same/interchangable parts but with slightly different outer castings.
I see what you mean now. I found some pictures for comparison:
TA6_R_Ind__87032.1345060146.370.350.jpg

McGuyver

I am in the process of converting my M101A1 to an M101A2 configuration. I already have the axle and parking brake installed. I have acquired a surge brake actuator and other parts to install. I'd like to know the best way to run the hydraulic lines along the frame under the trailer. I've studied the diagram in the TM, but it doesn't have all the detail I would like. Will someone with an A2 take some pictures for me of the hydraulic lines under their trailer, particularly at any corners, junctions, or passage through frame, etc. Thanks!

McGuyver

For the cables, I just kept looking on Ebay until the right PN for the right length came up, and then bought them. Basically I just got lucky.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks