• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925a2 Power Surge

74M35A2

No large updates, and transplant will happen after August, as I don't want the truck down for the upcoming 1 million people event of Woodward Dream Cruise that I attend. Meanwhile, I am awaiting the turbo compressor housing (cover) to be mirror polished. I will next check flywheel and clutch fit, and change the front and rear crank seals.

The RV ISL came with a 90 degree down facing coolant inlet pipe, and I need it straight out. The straight one was over $110 from Cummins, so I cut the curve out of the one provided and had our local TIG expert re-attach the end portion with bead onto the flange as a straight piece for $20 instead.

Also shown is how the oil filter and factory spin on coolant filter option are neighbors. There is room for this deep of an oil filter, as I will be removing the transmission heat exchanger cooling unit.

IMG_2999.jpgIMG_3089.jpg

Last edited:

74M35A2

I know. Me too bud.

I'm bummed about the 2200rpm limit, that is the same as what I have now. If I turned up my 6CTA8.3, I could reach 3000rpm or higher. But, with the OD 13 speed trans (0.89:1 I think), I'm hoping it will make up for it. I have not found a reasonable way to get additional RPM re-flashed into the ISL ECM, yet. I think it is limited to 2200rpm in most all applications. :/

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know. Me too bud.

I'm bummed about the 2200rpm limit, that is the same as what I have now. If I turned up my 6CTA8.3, I could reach 3000rpm or higher. But, with the OD 13 speed trans (0.89:1 I think), I'm hoping it will make up for it. I have not found a reasonable way to get additional RPM re-flashed into the ISL ECM, yet. I think it is limited to 2200rpm in most all applications. :/
Have then put the Canadian program in. With the exchange rate that should put
you around 3,000 I would imagine.

74M35A2

The ISL is from an RV, so you may be spot on, but I think vs your old 250 wheezer, it may look a little more like this:

IMG_3203.JPG

74M35A2

Thread from the dead.

Summer cruises are over, so now back online with getting the ISL and 13 speed married and swapped out into the truck. Just ordered some long full threaded bolts from McMaster-Carr to mate the SAE #2 clutch housing to the ISL flywheel housing, and the dual disc clutch to the dish type flywheel. VGT turbo compressor housing came back from getting polished, now painting turbo center section dark green along with the valve cover lettering "Cummins" and "ISL" on the front timing cover. Exhaust manifold is high temp grey, rest of engine is gloss black for easy rinse-off's. Nothing crazy, just enough to speak for itself that it is likely not stock.

Looked at installing Jake brakes onto this engine since it was an option and used parts are somewhat available, but would exceed $1,300 in used part pricing, so really can't justify it, until something lower cost shows up. Was not a priority anyway. Looking for more go, not more stop.

Relocating turbo from original RV low-rear mount position to high-center mount, so my exhaust is relatively close to line up. This will cause a change in turbo coolant and oil lines, but easy to address with new SS braided Teflon lined hoses.

Will post a pic or so as these parts start coming together.

Last edited:

74M35A2

Piecing together the pilot bearing, clutch bolts, silly stuff like that.

Painted mil oil pan, installed oil heater in it, painted exhaust manifold, turbo center, turbo exhaust housing, and finally received turbo compressor housing back from being polished. Trimmed out the Cummins lettering in Hunter Green, same as the turbo center. We're just about ready to test fit it all together. I had bolt lengths too long first shot.

IMG_3979.jpg IMG_3978.jpgIMG_3980.jpgIMG_3981.jpgIMG_3988.jpgIMG_3987.jpg

Last edited:

74M35A2

Nope. Just stories. We want a dyno slip and a pic of your 9 on the rollers.

ISL can go to 450hp, so you'd better buy my 8.3L P-7100 12mm pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks