• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925a2 Power Surge

74M35A2

Heading that way. I've got the ride, so you be the pimp. :driver:

I just want it to look respectable when it is kickin' grendel and Simp's you know whats.

Last edited:

74M35A2

I'd believe you, because ratchet straps got me home last time (torque rod bushing failure). So, polished aluminum for the masses.

I had to do something to keep all the tools from continual endlessly asking "Is that a multifuel?".

Last edited:

grendel

See, in order to kick our assets, the motor and trans will actually have to be in the truck. :) We all know you'll be researching, polishing and painting this time next year. I pulled that transmission for you and talked you into it 2 years ago - Luv ya, one disco balled brutha from anutha mutha, but you aint the fastest. Sometimes you just have to get into it.

All I have to do is fuel line mods now... and this is the third truck i've modified. So which one are you going to beat? The M816 that will soon have the Cummins ISX?

74M35A2

See, in order to kick our assets, the motor and trans will actually have to be in the truck. :) We all know you'll be researching, polishing and painting this time next year. I pulled that transmission for you and talked you into it 2 years ago - Luv ya, one disco balled brutha from anutha mutha, but you aint the fastest. Sometimes you just have to get into it.

All I have to do is fuel line mods now... and this is the third truck i've modified. So which one are you going to beat? The M816 that will soon have the Cummins ISX?
I guess you are 3 times better than me then.

74M35A2

Reassembled the turbo and did some test fits last night. Was able to clock this VGT to the orientation I wanted, to put it similar to how my 8.3 exhaust position is. This turbo seems higher, but the ISL has a much shorter valve cover.

IMG_4017.jpgIMG_4020.jpgIMG_4022.jpgIMG_4023.jpgIMG_4024.jpg

74M35A2

For the A/C compressor, the spacing of the bolts don't match the mount. But mount has additional material to accomodate, so just need to drill and tap for 2 holes after confirming belt alignment, but looks OK by eyeball.

Alternator is a riot, figures I'd be cursed. Mount holes aligned, but alt sits too far rearward for belt alignment. There are 2 bolt width spacing configurations on the mount (6 holes total), but the pulley sits rearward of the belt track. Need to figure this out. Typically most pad mount accessories are common fitment.

Delays delays delays.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

It all sure does look "pretty". [thumbzup]

That turbo seems to sit kind of high (compared to the rest of the block), are you needing to build out a spot for that or will it all snug under the hood okay?

74M35A2

It is not as high as it looks. This is its position in the MRAP this engine is also used in. If we make the valve cover taller, it does not look so high. I can drop it back low too by simply flipping the exhaust manifold over and re-indexing the turbo again. This is just where I think it will be closest to line up to the truck exhaust. We'll see, and no big deal if not.

Got the alternator figured out, had 6 groove pulley on it, which has a much different offset to it. Busted that off and fed it to the neighbors dog. Snapped the correct 8 groovy on there, and we are downtown. Now just need to attack the Sanden A/C compressor mounting. Tried a NOS Valeo MRAP compressor (TM-21 HD), and it fits all 4 pad mount holes, but it has a 10 groove pulley that does not line up. UGH! Called Valeo, they don't sell parts. Seriously? After insulting the guy and his mother's cooking, he politely says that other compressor maker's clutch parts fit their clutch. Interesting. A quick check of a clutch bearing shows the same part fits multiple branded compressor clutches. Also put in some low ball offers on used eBay Valeo compressors with the 8 rib clutch pulley, will try to just swap out the pulley. If the Valeo guy's story really holds water, then the clutch pulley or entire clutch from the Sanden I have may fit onto the Valeo compressor?

Next up is to get the compressor finalized, get the front and rear crank seals replaced, then swap out the oil pan for the 939 one. Make turbo oil, turbo coolant, and VGT air acruation lines since turbo position now changed. After that, stab the 13 speed tranny onto the back of it, and we should be ready to drop it in? I think?

Edit: Valeo A/C compressor clutch source found:
http://www.autoaironline.com/seltec-tm-21hd-clutch-kits-24-volt

Last edited:

74M35A2

Stock a2 fan clutch test fit checked out OK. Thanks smittyjr355 for the borrow of one, I did not want to remove mine just for test fit, but will once I pull engine to transplant it and keep it in use on the truck. I prefer this over the electric fan clutch that came with the engine on the RV (for sale if anybody wants to switch their fan to electric clutch, easy to switch on/off). ISL fan mount on block uses larger bolts, so will have to drill mine slightly, but mounting hole and belt alignment both checked compatible.

Ordered 8 groove A/C compressor clutch from above website. If anybody needs a 10 groove, they can have mine for free (it does not align with an 8 groovy system), or I will feed it to the dog also.

Making -10AN male adapter (flare fitting) for turbo oil outlet so can use stainless braided Teflon flex hose vs re-bending the stock hard steel tube. Need to make custom turbo coolant, oil supply, and air actuation hoses also, will use all same stainless braided crap (thanks Loren @ PRT [Plymouth Rubber and Transmission]).

Next up: Change front and rear crank seals, swap engine oil pan to 6CTA8.3 mil one, then jamb this together with the trans.

74M35A2

Front and rear crank seals are too big. Came with spedi-sleeves to install on crank, so seals are oversized. Ugh! Just needs stock size seals to renew. PITA.

IMG_4038.jpgIMG_4037.jpgIMG_4036.jpg IMG_4041.jpgIMG_4040.jpgIMG_4039.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks