• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925a2 Power Surge

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a 12L made too. These actually work very good. Rated at 400-450 hp. They will pull down to 1200 RPM and chug along all day. Swift and a few other OTR companies use them, very little issues with them

Attachments

74M35A2

Getting warmer, but uses conventional diesel.

Vapor fuel engines run much hotter as liquid fuel engines have some cooling as the liquid fuel flashes to vapor (like aerosol deodorant is cold when applied). Not uncommon to see cracked exhaust manifolds and such.

Csm Davis

ISL G, they are all the rage! Then he'd be green AND clean, The libtards would want to incorporate this mod into every tactical vehicle around. See your future, be your future. Same footprint, it will bolt right in.
There is a 12L made too. These actually work very good. Rated at 400-450 hp. They will pull down to 1200 RPM and chug along all day. Swift and a few other OTR companies use them, very little issues with them
Will do you remember the old conversions that they ran on some of the old stationary engines for natural gas?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Csm Davis

Getting warmer, but uses conventional diesel.

Vapor fuel engines run much hotter as liquid fuel engines have some cooling as the liquid fuel flashes to vapor (like aerosol deodorant is cold when applied). Not uncommon to see cracked exhaust manifolds and such.
So what about the new CNG engines don't they inject it liquid?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember the old 1710s running on NG and being used for cogen to heat the water in hotels.

There are a couple of different types of NG fired engines, CNG and LNG. CNG is vapor, LNG is in a liquid form at like -200 degrees in the tank and is then converted to vapor to run. Wectport/Cummins made a diesel fired liquid NG injected ISX15 a few years back, don't know if they are still doing it, they worked well. It worked by firinh the cylinder on diesel and then hitting it with the liquid NG through the same injector, it was kinda cool but a techno blimp. Made good power on the dyno.

I'll venture another guess.....
3116 CAT from an Stewart and Stevenson M series truck

74M35A2

Vending machines are everywhere here, they love them. Every floor at work, and every street corner in the city. These guys are obsessed with ice-coffee. The outdoor ones sell beer too. I don't think any kids in US would abuse that?

Another Ahab

Vending machines are everywhere here, they love them. Every floor at work, and every street corner in the city. These guys are obsessed with ice-coffee. The outdoor ones sell beer too. I don't think any kids in US would abuse that?
Where did you ever get THAT idea?!

ABC.jpg

74M35A2

I just gave a deposit on the engine, so I guess I will spill the beans. It is a 2005 Cummins 8.9L ISL 400hp engine from a motorhome. WillWagner had the closest dart. Loved the slant 6 guess though, amongst others.

The 8.9L ISL is a stroked version of the 8.3L. It also consists of several modernizations over the older 8.3L, such as a 24 valve head, variable turbo, roller cam/lifters, high pressure common rail electronic injection (multiple pulses per combustion event), and the motorhome engines typically consist of an engine compression brake (Jake brake), which can be configured to use 1-6 cylinders during activation. The ISL is not as popular as the 8.3L or "C" series engines in the market, as the ISL was typically reserved for higher HP needs of larger and heavy vehicles such as RV's and fire trucks. It is rated for GVW up to 60,000lbs, and has the highest power/weight ratio of Cummins engines, but likely also a much shorter life due to the same reason. But considering how far we drive our hobby MV's, that is not a concern here. The engine has 77,000 miles on it.

It is electronic, and does have an ECM, wiring, all that, but Cummins runs their packages as self contained as possible. You really only need to feed the engine ECM power, ground, ignition command, and convert to an accelerator pedal sensor (drive by wire) vs conventional cable. I will need to devise a good way to still have this pull the transmission modulator cable as long as I retain the automatic trans. I need to see if it would require a different ECM to feed it 24V, and if so, then I would just run the engine as-is off of 12v. She runs about 33lbs of boost across the majority of the RPM sweep thanks to the VGT. Cold starting should be even easier with the intake air grid heater (there goes my ether system) and EFI.

We don't know how the transmission and transfer case will hold up, but I do run empty 99% of the time. If it takes out the trans, then that is the time to switch to a manual gearbox. If it takes out the transfer case, then we will look at maybe an M915 type of t-case or...? I considered grabbing the 6 speed Allison with it since it is rated for the power and likely the same size, but I really want a manual. Engine torque rating is 1200ft-lb @ 1400rpm. The latest ISL can be had as high as 450hp. The 2005 may be reflashable up to 425hp, I need to check by serial number, but the 450hp rating requires a different high pressure fuel pump and injectors, so I don't see that happening. Aftermarket companies can add 52hp to this engine by faking out the fuel rail pressure sensor, which then commands a higher fuel rail pressure than normal (more fuel delivery per spray). So, I could go as high as 450hp, but this module is $500, so we'll hold off for now.

Large benefit of using an ISL is the same external dimensions and pattern as the 8.3L. Absolute worst case is to run an earlier 24 valve ISL cylinder head which used mechanical injectors, and a P-7100 pump can be easily adapted. I will lose the ability to increase RPM over the factory 2100-2200 if I stay with the EFI, but 67mph on the truck is fast enough I guess, considering tire ratings and all that, unless I go 395's. I could crank it higher than 2200rpm if I use the mechanical P-7100 pump with an aftermarket governor spring kit.

I have been watching people turn up their 8.3L fuel, and then battle high EGT's. By going the ISL route, I am hoping to have a factory certified smoke free 400hp, without even needing an EGT gauge. I will need to add a front mounted charge air cooler, but no issue there, already purchased and was going to do anyway.

Below is a picture of an 8.9 ISL that has been converted to a conventional P-7100 mechanical pump. You can see beside the wider 24 valve cylinder head, this is the same as an 8.3L engine. My stock 8.3L engine will be available for sale after the conversion is complete, along with one of the two P-7100 injection pumps I have acquired. I wanted to go big bore engine like a 14L 550hp Series 60 (good guess, red), ISX, or the like, but it was hard to pass up one that bolts right in, especially if I need to move the radiator back 2.5" for the full size Volvo charge air cooler (thanks 4xdesign for your work and photos on this). Plus I like the lighter weight of the smaller engine, along with the modernization of the mechanicals.

I'll update this thread once the engine is acquired and able to run on a stand. Yes IGM, I have not replaced my broken back window yet. Priorities....

This 6 pot should be able to pull some strings, 400 of them we're hoping. Simp, come get some... fat lady sings

ISL P Pump.jpg

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Even with all that power you have to have some type of way to get it to the ground. The 654 will not hold up. Doubtful the transfer case will either. Just remember you said it. Your ISL will need to be on the stand for rebuild a few times before the old 250 will.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks