• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925a2 Power Surge

red

Nice find. That's similar power numbers to the older Cummins 400 big cam. Since you run empty most of the time the motor should live a long life. The 'short life' of those is what, expected for 300-400k?

The engine computers are usually voltage specific.

Other than that the engine electronics are pretty compact like you said.

Oh, upgrade the fuel filter setup. Cleaner fuel is always better but it's even more important with the common rail engines.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pressure filter on the engine will be fine, just make sure you install a good rock catcher filter. And stay with Fleetguard filters. And, I think you can go to 450 HP with that engine.

74M35A2

10-4, my 925a2 is one of the few that did come with the larger frame filter additionally which is usually found behind the driver front tire of previous gens. I'll have to go electric lift pump I am guessing, no big deal, kind of wanted to anyway.

CSM, I scored the engine literally a few blocks from you I believe, was an interior burnt motorhome. Hopefully not an insurance job because the motor is toasted. Guy bought it from auction for the diesel genset. It was one of the $400,000 type models. So, I'll be heading down there, maybe I'll stop and say hello, you can punch me in the eye or ask for a date with my sister.

red, yeah that is what I am thinking. Typical medium duty life expectancy is 600,000, so even if I cut it by 2/3rds, we are still at 200,000, or 100,000 remaining. Good enough.

450hp, that would be enough to drag grendel and Simp down the street sideways simultaneously, especially once we are sporting the 915 t-case. :deadhorse:

74M35A2

Cute.

Just need to pull my tank apart and make a new dip tube, or tighten the depth adjustment on the fuel gauge. First time, gauge did not work. Replaced gauge and sender. All times after that, trucks runs out at higher and higher gauge levels. Was first 1/4 tank, then 1/2, most recent 3/4. So, the dip tube is either dissolving, or the level gauge is dropping lower and lower into the tank.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Cute.

Just need to pull my tank apart and make a new dip tube, or tighten the depth adjustment on the fuel gauge. First time, gauge did not work. Replaced gauge and sender. All times after that, trucks runs out at higher and higher gauge levels. Was first 1/4 tank, then 1/2, most recent 3/4. So, the dip tube is either dissolving, or the level gauge is dropping lower and lower into the tank.
Maybe you should just make it easy on yourself. Drill a hole weld a half 3/8" fitting to the tank. Top and bottom Install a clear tube so you know how much fuel you have by just looking in the mirror. It's for those special people.

Sent from the seat of M923A1 with it's Rainbird Ram air intake system.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine you will be getting has a lift pump on it, if it is common rail, that's something I forgot about that will need to be trade out for a 24v one. The pump stops running after a few mins and the gear pump on the back of the HP pump does all of the work after that.

74M35A2

I need to pull and check the pickup tube, have not done yet.

Cummins usually uses a standard Carter vane pump, at least on their ISX, so that should be easy to get, if I am running it off 24V, depends if ECM can handle it or not. Cummins would want more for a new ECM than I am getting the entire engine for. So, if it requires a different ECM to run 24v, it will stay a 12v powered engine. ISL transfer pump may be different though. We'll see when we get it.

Anybody else done any engine transplants in an M939?

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ECM Should be GTG for 24v. You will need another lift pump. No Carter pump, it is a piston type and mounted behind the ECM....change it BEFORE you install the engine!

Attachments

74M35A2

Still learning. The ISL comes with steel dome topped 2 piece pistons. There goes EGT concerns. Was wondering how they squeeze 400-450hp from a stroked 8.3L, reliably.

I really need to figure out how to retain and pull my transmission modulator cable when using an electronic accelerator pedal.

IMG_2314.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks