• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flu419 air pressure regulator

wallybob

I recently won an auction for a flu419 and it was delivered a few weeks ago. After changing the batteries and fuel lines I have it up and running.

flu419-2_zps7aeklj5o.jpg
flu419_zpsrslvi6pz.jpg

The issue I was having is the air pressure regulator kept blowing off before it built any pressure in the tanks. The line from the regulator to the tank was very rotted and plugged. I used a Parker hydraulic fitting 6-10LXHU86-S this will convert the metric compression fitting into a -6 JIC fitting.
pluged line 2.JPG

I also replaced the air pressure regulator I converted it from a Bosch to a wabco regulator.

https://www.amazon.com/World-American-WABCO-GOVERNOR-UNLOAD/dp/B00IVQOFO2

This regulator has all the same dimensions and operates the same as the Bosch unit but cost $84.

air brake regulator.JPG
air brake reg installed.JPG
flu419 pressure.JPG

peakbagger

Nice fix, definitely a big thumbs up on figuring out an alternative air pressure regulator.

FYI, The crap in the cross body line has probably made it farther into the air system. I strongly recommend taking the air system apart up to the tanks and cleaning out any grit that has built up. There are a couple of check valves that had a lot of crap built up in mine. I am guessing that most of the grit settles out in the bottom of the air tanks.

Another FYI, I have posted this before but be aware that the differential locks in the axles are supposed to be drained and lubricated on yearly basis. On my SEE and I expect a lot of others the drains on the axles were painted over with original factory paint meaning it never was done. The military manual doesn't tell you how to do it or mention that it has to be done. I have a manual from a similar vintage 1300L and it does include the procedure in the owners manual under routine maintenance.

It may be worth your time going through the various technical service bulletins that the military issued on the SEE. I combined a bunch of them that someone else collected into one PDF document and stored it in the Misc TM section of the forum. It may now have moved off the first page. In theory the mechanics should have done all the modifications but given that the air line replacement is one of them (unfortunately that one I not in the document) it may be worth reviewing them.

FarmMOG

I also replaced the air pressure regulator I converted it from a Bosch to a wabco regulator.

This regulator has all the same dimensions and operates the same as the Bosch unit but cost $84.

Does this replacement regulator just bolt in place of the original? My regulator is not working and will over pressure the system if I don't continually release air pressure. I am trying to decide on either buying a new one or rebuilding the current one. Thanks.

alpine44

Does this replacement regulator just bolt in place of the original? My regulator is not working and will over pressure the system if I don't continually release air pressure. I am trying to decide on either buying a new one or rebuilding the current one. Thanks.
If you read the TMs you will see that both type of regulators were used and serve the same purpose. You may have to adjust the regulating pressure via the screw on top of the spring housing but that is easy.

I bought one of the WABCO units just in case but my original regulator turned out to be fine. If you want to buy the new WABCO (adjusted to the right pressure) from me, please PM.

FarmMOG

If you read the TMs you will see that both type of regulators were used and serve the same purpose. You may have to adjust the regulating pressure via the screw on top of the spring housing but that is easy.

I bought one of the WABCO units just in case but my original regulator turned out to be fine. If you want to buy the new WABCO (adjusted to the right pressure) from me, please PM.
Thanks a million for letting me know the regulator is adjustable. I thought it was factory set since it has a pressure reading on it, and was ready to buy a new one and replace it. I was able to adjust mine tonight and everything works great. Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks