• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing new horn s404.1 unimog

ckwatson

Okay,

Just got the new horn. Need guidance about how to install it - the wiring.

Wire coming out bottom of steering wheel cut off. Which terminal on the new horn - no markings - just 2 small screw connections on the bottom. I assume the ground is the chassis, so which of the two connections on the horn should the wire from the steering wheel connect to?

There is also a separate wire I think going to the ignition switch that had been connected to the old horn - left hand terminal. Nothing seems to have ever been connected to the right hand terminal.

Tried to test the new horn but couldn't get a sound out of it - it's NOS so if correctly connected I hope it will work.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 404 horn is isolated from ground so those two terminals are the inputs, not the frame. There is no polarization so either term can be hot, or ground.

The wire going up to the steering wheel is the ground side but is only grounded if the horn button is pushed. The second horn terminal goes to the main dash switch, from which it gets power.

Suggestions: get the horn working on the bench first. It will work on 12v for testing, just not well. Positive to either terminal, negative to the other. Don't drop it when it squalls in your hand ��.

Test horn button by verifying continuity of horn wire to ground when button is pushed.

Verify 24v on both horn terminals before horn button is pushed, then one side pulls to ground when button is pushed.

Obviously, there is power at the horn all the time the main switch is on.

Bob

ckwatson

Bob,

Thanks, the horn now works great, and I see what you meant about the sound.

Tested it at the auxiliary power outlet by the drivers door; great access to 24 volts.

And another project is completed.

V/R,
Chris

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks