• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 Exhaust

1944mb

Okay so I'm curious as to everyone's input. Looking for exhaust ideas on how to build a correct complete exhaust. I have some patterns on some pipe from 08. But I was curious if anyone knew of a more correct exhaust clamp than a V-band clamp like used on modern turbo diesel trucks. I found after a quick search that vband clamps, with both weld on flanges are available and here is an example of that https://www.levelxms.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=v+band I realize this is a much heavier duty clamp and flange than the original g749 exhaust clamps. That is one of my questions. Second where could a fellow procure the flex pipe going from under the cab to the stack? In the process of finding a decent muffler that could be used, and didnt know everyone's opinion. I see plowboy solved this problem of the muffler awhile back, but his supplier didn't want to jump through the hoops to export. My truck doesn't have a complete exhaust system thats original, and looking to the future for a game plan.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm exhausted from unloading a bunch of those clamps into the sea-can. Let's dig up the exhaust schematic and do an inventory of the parts you need. I'll PM you on the mufflers.

P3250232.jpgP3250234.jpgP3250228.jpg

1944mb

So 08 and I were visiting today regarding g749 exhaust and he mentioned that he thought in the TM the early exhaust tailpipes looked similar to what is on my truck now in some respects. After looking over the tm it appears there was a straight pipe going up the cab, a curved pipe that terminated about cab height and one that was significantly Higher than the cab. It's just a partial suspicion that perhaps the higher reaching tailpipe was used more predominately in Canada although I have no proof of this.

Attachments

Last edited:

1944mb

And of course a truck of plowboy's demonstrating the significantly taller stack-look how much taller above the cab it is compared to the TM pics. Is this a later style; or is it Canadian vs. early US trucks? I tend to like the higher stack.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the Schematic out of the ORD 9 SNL G-749 manual. It shows a short pipe. This is the same book that shows short stacks on the trucks.

P4190316.jpgP4190315.jpgP4190314.jpg

It could have been an oversight until the first troops rode in the back. Most of the shop vans had tall stacks but it does make sense that they could keep a short stack on the M215 dump or the M221 tractor. Even Papabears M220 came with a short stack but there is a mix of short and long through both the U.S. and Canadian trucks, through all the years. Here's an archive photo from Wetaskiwin Civil Defence days so it's likely this truck is factory.

wetas cd old m135 124.jpg

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like the lower pipe is different on the tractor. I don't see the bend to get the pipe away from the spare tire just above the flex. I had a heck of a time recreating that one. Had to weld 2 bends as they were too close for the bender. Also, I have in hand 3 different expanded metal lower shields that mount on the side of the cab. Some smaller diameter and some much larger.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plowboy, I did not see the exhaust doughnuts the first time I looked at your posts. I purchased some off ebay that were "g749" that were obviously modern Walker ones. They were much thicker and would not work with the correct band clamps. I had to reform all of my flanges and forced the band clamps on. the installation would have been a cake walk with the right ones. If you know of a source for the right size ones please share that info. My stack extension band is wedged on so tight I'm afraid to take it off.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the original questions about flex pipe and v-band clamps- I purchased 2 different style flex pipes on ebay. One was an original looking accordion style and the other was a double braided flex connector. Both were 2.5"x12" with straight exhaust pipe ends welded in from the factory. search "flexible exhaust connector".
I took them to a friend who has an exhaust bender. He flanged the ends to match the originals so the original vband clamps would work. Both worked fine, one looks original. We made everything except the muffler.
The v-band clamp in post 2 looks like mine. the v-band clamp in post 3 looks like the one for the air intake system not the exhaust system.

https://www.levelxms.com/ohne-2-5-stainless-steel-v-band-exhaust-clamp This may very well be the correct one. I see it is out of stock.

Last edited:

1944mb

It looks like the lower pipe is different on the tractor. I don't see the bend to get the pipe away from the spare tire just above the flex. I has a heck of a time recreating that one. Also, I have in hand 3 different expanded metal lower shields. Some smaller diameter and some much larger.
Interesting to note that there are three different expanded metal shields-I'm assuming you mean along the cab going vertical?

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes vertical, and it keeps the stack from becoming a grab handle. They all came from g749s of various years. One may be M135, one was a M211 and I don't know what the other was as I purchased a cab only. I've noticed a few minor differences between years on other things as well.

1944mb

I think I'd opt for the v-band with flanges like used on a modern turbo. They are a tight fit, yet they still separate after long periods of use. And best of all it sounds like there is no hassle with finding the correct donut the mate up to the flanges. I would definitely like to find the accordion joint-just looks like it belongs better compared to a braided one, although a braided one might be more functional for vibration-Id opt for an original look. I'm feeling like I'm jumping the gun-gotta make sure this engine I have even runs, and that this transmission even shifts. Oh well, many problems to correct, but thats the joy of it.

1944mb

I don' t really know too much about its past. Underneath the green is red, and havent seen anywhere on it where there is a color underneath the red. Bought it from a kid-like didnt even have a drivers license yet, but was hoping to drive it to school. The seized engine let the wind out of his sails. I shows up with my M35 to pull it home and I could see he really wanted a ride so we went for a quick spin. I think he wasn't ready for how loud and obnoxious a M35 can be in the passenger seat from the exhaust. He said prior to that the guy he bought it from said it ran great-not sure why he didnt run it when he bought it??:shock::shock::shock:

It does have a sticker on the door about farm chemical spills so I'm wondering if it wasn't used as a deliver truck? Love your 220. Would be neat to find one of those

USMC 00-08

I used these exhaust donuts on my original exhaust system without issues. Maybe plowboy can post up some measurements of the ones he found so we can compare?
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FPB60986

It does seem there were quite a few differences in these trucks from early to late. I recently picked up a copy of TM 9-819 and comparing it to TM 9-8024, there are a lot of differences.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exhaust G749

I used these exhaust donuts on my original exhaust system without issues. Maybe plowboy can post up some measurements of the ones he found so we can compare?
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FPB60986

It does seem there were quite a few differences in these trucks from early to late. I recently picked up a copy of TM 9-819 and comparing it to TM 9-8024, there are a lot of differences.
MEASUREMENTS,

I did everything except measure. Grabbed a pic of the seal napa offers, it's the big one on the right.....looks just a little bigger than 1/4". Our original exhaust seals, left, are around that 3/16" width so enough difference to make it difficult to get an original clamp over.

P5050129.jpg

I haven't looked to see if we can get a wider V clamp so it's either that or a guy bends the flange a little deeper. Just not seeing a lot of the narrow seals falling off the shelf so it's good to have some options.

As for pipes, I see nothing. I know we got one from the Cold Lake haul last year but the other ones that I thought were original were fabbed. Looks like an after market flex piece then a wonky bend to a straight pipe up the cab. We'll look at the north trucks in a few weeks and keep trying. Unless someone comes up with a warehouse full of NOS exhaust, we may need to start fabricating.

P5050142.jpgP5050143.jpg

1944mb

One was an original looking accordion style and the other was a double braided flex connector. Both were 2.5"x12" with straight exhaust pipe ends welded in from the factory. search "flexible exhaust connector".
henderson- are you able to locate any of the accordion style exhaust flex connectors anymore? I've been searching for one and have not been able to locate anything that is that long. I was able to find this material at the local parts store. I think it looks a more correct for the vintage of these trucks then a braided connector

dave-I've got a good pattern exhaust pipe. Any possibly on tracking down some mufflers?

Attachments

yodraino

M135/m211 Exhaust

20170513_133801.jpg20170513_133841.jpg20170513_133833.jpgHi for what it is worth I found this Donaldson part #M085207 muffler that has the inlet and outlet on the same end . My truck had no exhaust past the driveline so I couldn't find anything for it so I winged it and built what you see from pictures in the manual. All the stainless pipe and vband clamps came from AceRace Inc .

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks