• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help figuring out these 10 issues I have with my 404s

Another Ahab

The saga continues.
Forum Mods, let me know how I should proceed here, should I be posting a new topic each time I add a new question to my plight?

Item #20:
Headlights - I went to address a crack in my right front head light. It appears so though the 2 screws are just spinning in place that hold the thread cap on. Just old I guess. Suggestions on where to read up on opening the headlights without breaking them?
I think the format should maybe be separate volumes in folio-bound editions (with "cheat sheet" summaries in pamphlet form). :naner::beer:

Having once been in the same shoes as you with a new old and not working wrecker I would suggest the following:
Focus on safety and operational items first. All cosmetic items are low priority.
In order of priority
1.) Brakes
1a.) Steering
2.) Engine fluids, filters, belts
3.) Fuel System
4.) Axles, bearings, grease etc. Tires
After you have dealt with the mechanical items then worry about anything else.
ps. by my estimates that would be about 3-6 months of work playing around after work etc. Start by ...
1.) Reading the TM's on brake systems then track all components
2.) Go in TM to troubleshooting guide and follow along to identify each part they call out in a troubleshooting situation.
3.) Then go to the maintenance TM related to the item and perform the maintenance.
4.) Ask allot of intelligent questions on here
Once you have done this for the 4 items above you will be confident in the truck and yourself.
pps. This is my opinion :)
Hey Swiss,

I have since printed out your post and stuck it on my wall and have setup my agenda to do just this. Many other folks I talk to around town who are interested in the only Unimog in town all asked the exact same list of priorities you said and almost in the same order!

I realized after posting my TLDR post that I needed to go read the forums (all of them actually) and not just the manuals. I've been reading every post on this forum starting with the oldest post and and working my way back, taking notes as I go. A few hours every night make for some interesting reading. I have a long list of other Unimog Forums I have found, and a few email lists that apparently are no more.

My 404 came with the workshop manual, and the original manual which is pretty darn good too, got some additional texts from Scott at Expedition Imports and United Parts Service has a few more in German that I want to read. All in All your post is excellent advice. Should be a sticky post IMHO.

Thanks again.

Take that k&n air filter off and try to find original air box
Today I got a package on my door step with a complete Air Filter set from Scott at Expedition Imports!

Will be putting that in this week or weekend.

Can anyone tell me the size of the screws needed for mounting it to the air intake vent on the right side of the engine compartment?
Any tips or suggestions for installing or handling of the oil bath air intake?

UPDATE: I have to apologize, I'm a Quality Assurance Tester by trade and one thing I always say is one issue per entry and here I have like 30 things in one thread. Geesh. As a few months have passed, I thought I would provide some updates to anyone crazy enough to read this far in in case they are curious about any of this stuff and if I've had any success (or failures).

With no prior training in this sort of thing I am a noodler by trade so I will figure it out eventually. Going back and re-reading previous posts are among the most helpful (not that others aren't btw).

From Coffey1 on Page 1 of this thread:

C1: Sounds like air draw to me, Not any kind of rod knock (and in another post)

Me: You're right! I appear to have a slow leak somewhere, the truck will replenish air tanks as I drive (maybe that's normal after some braking applications). However the other day I started her up and she was warm, but there was no air pressure. Had to adjust the throttle up while idling to build pressure. Maybe my idle is set too low to build pressure. (TenMogger mentions this in this thread). Need to set idle a little higher than where it's at. (guess I just answered my own question).

C1: Valve Guide Seals are Leaking

Me: Right you are, this is probably the hardest thing I will try and conquer working on this truck. RockyMountainMogger has a good guide on how to access and check these with the cab on. I believe that's here: http://www.rockymountainmoggers.com/valves.html, if I'm looking at the wrong info, I have the workshop manual which I believe has this info as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks