• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locker owner opinions?

ramdough

I noticed that a single thread like this did not exist yet.

I would like to ask the people that already have the Detroit Soft Lockers installed in their trucks a few questions:

1. Has anyone experienced a failure?

2. Are you happy with them?

3. If you have an MTV, which axle(s) are they installed in?

4. How do they behave on paved roads?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The no spin has been has been used on heavy duty trucks forever. Very common in the dump truck world as well. They used to be known for a harsh lockup, but new spring style and a change to the locking teeth interface they are now softer in lock up. I hope to have mine in the truck this weekend and will give everyone my experiences with it. A negative to locking up, can be on ice the tendency for the rear end to go down slope. Or not unlock in corners and try and push you straight, but being that the lmtv is AWD, will help keep things less chaotic than only rear wheel drive.

coachgeo

I'm hoping to hear how they do in snow myself. Also, for the few who do lockers front and rear..... how well in snow and other conditions. Who is doing front and rear?

If recall right.... Steve6x6x6 said he's run them in large military trucks for years in both front and rear without issue. He lives in FL, but that does not mean he has done so for ever. So did inquire if he ever used them in any snow areas but have not heard back on that yet. Hopefully, he will respond.

expeditionnw

Seth (adventuredriven) has been speaking with ARB about building a select-able air locker. They need a 50 unit minimum to consider it. Ill let Seth share what he knows. IMO, selectable is the only way to go.

ramdough

Seth (adventuredriven) has been speaking with ARB about building a select-able air locker. They need a 50 unit minimum to consider it. Ill let Seth share what he knows. IMO, selectable is the only way to go.
That is interesting. That is the best option if it ever becomes an option.

ramdough

The no spin has been has been used on heavy duty trucks forever. Very common in the dump truck world as well. They used to be known for a harsh lockup, but new spring style and a change to the locking teeth interface they are now softer in lock up. I hope to have mine in the truck this weekend and will give everyone my experiences with it. A negative to locking up, can be on ice the tendency for the rear end to go down slope. Or not unlock in corners and try and push you straight, but being that the lmtv is AWD, will help keep things less chaotic than only rear wheel drive.
I look forward to your review. Hopefully soon there will be additional people to post their personal experience with the Detroit Soft Lockers on FMTV's.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There will be a considerable amount of machine work to make the ARB likely have to start 8"+ diameter steel billet, basically a whole new ring carrier and modify the housing for an air line. It would be awesome, and the best option but will be the most expensive.

expeditionnw

There will be a considerable amount of machine work to make the ARB likely have to start 8"+ diameter steel billet, basically a whole new ring carrier and modify the housing for an air line. It would be awesome, and the best option but will be the most expensive.
Not sure I get what your meaning. Yes, a ARB locker will mean a new ring carrier. That is what an ARB is. When installing any selectable locker, a hole will need to be drilled to allow the power supply to reach the new carrier. the hole would be drilled in the third member, not the housing.

The pricing I heard was very reasonable.

Im sure we are saying the same thing here, but I wanted to clarify for anyone who may have got the wrong idea.

coachgeo

.... That is what an ARB is....The pricing I heard was very reasonable. ....
ARB makes lockers for Rockwell axles so hopefully, they would not have to reinvent the wheel here. Just rework some tooling of existing assembly setups and whip them out. That seems to match the request for a lot of 50 orders. If that is the case... this will keep cost from being astronomical.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of wehring's posts describe the locker he put in the rear. Basically, in an off camber situation, you no longer get stuck.

ramdough

One of wehring's posts describe the locker he put in the rear. Basically, in an off camber situation, you no longer get stuck.
Was that with a Detroit? I know he once had the prototype locker of a different type (can't remember the type).

ramdough

For all of the people out there that are buying these lockers, I am surprised that no one has provided their personal experience as requested in post #1.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For all of the people out there that are buying these lockers, I am surprised that no one has provided their personal experience as requested in post #1.
That's what I was thinking. Has everyone just bought them and not installed them yet? (I know I have a pile of such projects around, myself.)

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck doesn't fit in my garage, and we have had only a couple rain free days this year. These are new, expensive and a pain to install. Very few have them in hand. So in the lmtv world they are as rare as hens teeth. This time last year they didn't exist. Or you could read how they perform in the trucking world. Loggers and dump trucks swear by them. Take a chance and buy one, or have some patience and I will tell you all about it in a few weeks. I took the take a chance route, hopefully it works as advertised.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's one of the reasons I started the install thread, there wasn't one for me to read. Hopefully my install thread will help others, and I plan on a lengthy write up on the performance with both pro's and cons of the setup.

ramdough

It's one of the reasons I started the install thread, there wasn't one for me to read. Hopefully my install thread will help others, and I plan on a lengthy write up on the performance with both pro's and cons of the setup.
I look forward to it!

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My fingers are crossed that it's worth the cost. I have gone as far as thinking of swapping axles. I have property where a locker may be required to get access to, due to the condition of the road and steep terrain. This years rains however the road may no longer exist. As soon as a cabin gets built then my truck will transform into an expedition camper? Hopefully that is.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are new, expensive and a pain to install. Very few have them in hand. So in the lmtv world they are as rare as hens teeth. This time last year they didn't exist. Or you could read how they perform in the trucking world. Loggers and dump trucks swear by them. Take a chance and buy one, or have some patience and I will tell you all about it in a few weeks. I took the take a chance route, hopefully it works as advertised.
I'm not nearly as curious about "how lockers perform in an LMTV" in general, as I am about the quality of THESE brand/design/quality. Are they "Detroit" lockers as in "they follow the general detroit locker design", or are they actually manufactured by Eaton (or whoever owns the "Detroit Locker" trademark/name)? Some of that is a question for Bryce, but I also want to hear third-party input.

Overall, I don't think these are overly new (year), expensive, or complicated to install, especially considering the scope of everything else in this hobby.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks