• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locker owner opinions?

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just saw this thread and thought I'd share my M37 w/Detroit experience. I'm sure Detroit makes decent products. The one for the M37 just might not be one of them. I tried, twice, to run one. Finally gave up on them, went back to open, and have been happy enough with it that way to never look elsewhere.

ramdough

Just saw this thread and thought I'd share my M37 w/Detroit experience. I'm sure Detroit makes decent products. The one for the M37 just might not be one of them. I tried, twice, to run one. Finally gave up on them, went back to open, and have been happy enough with it that way to never look elsewhere.
Why were you unhappy?

That may help the discussion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow did I have to think back on this! It’s been 10+ years since I went back to open.

The first go, I wound up with snapped axle shafts. Maybe it’s me (!), maybe they were tired as they were the originals from ‘51.. Ok. Chromoly shafts in, all was good for maybe 250 miles. Carrier failed. Ok, maybe the first failure did more damage than was obvious. NOS carrier freighted in, new locker purchased. Both installed. Professionally this time (I’m shade tree). Same result after maybe 750mi - locker failure. At this point I swapped the carrier back to open. Same everything ever since without issues.

I should add I’m no angel with the truck- it goes places. But I built it and I respect it. That and I can’t stomach the cost to keep repairing something I’ve already sunk $10k in: 318, disc brakes, electrical, tranny swap out, ...

If I “needed” lockers for some reason, I’d probably either a)use my SEE or 2)go with another truck as the base and build that up.

Just my 2c.

ramdough

Has anyone with an LMTV/MTV had a locker fail or any other part break yet that could be caused by the locker?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sgt Jiggins' experience certainly seems atypical, and not worth basing the decision on. If every locker was destroyed within a tank of gas, they would never have kept being made. So the vast majority of people who have them clearly get the expected long service lives out of them.

Not definitive proof, but I don't think I've seen any posts speaking negatively about the LMTV lockers. I've got one going in soon myself.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone with an LMTV/MTV had a locker fail or any other part break yet that could be caused by the locker?

I don't have many miles on mine, but they have all been hard. From putting 9000lb of gravel in the truck, to pulling a ton of logs out of the muddy woods where the locker was the only reason i could get into the location. Each load of logs was at least 6000lbs. I have had zero issues so far.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday I dragged a 20ft container in red clay mud. The container weighed appx 10K. Only reason I could get the truck there and move it was the locker combined with "mode". Absolute animal in less than stellar conditions. It does announce itself to me sometimes on turns if I'm under power, but other than that I don't know its there until I need it, then I KNOW!

ramdough

Yesterday I dragged a 20ft container in red clay mud. The container weighed appx 10K. Only reason I could get the truck there and move it was the locker combined with "mode". Absolute animal in less than stellar conditions. It does announce itself to me sometimes on turns if I'm under power, but other than that I don't know its there until I need it, then I KNOW!
Which truck has the locker? Looked at your signature and you have too many options. That must be awful .

ramdough

Found it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks