• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locker owner opinions?

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
My fingers are crossed that it's worth the cost. I have gone as far as thinking of swapping axles. I have property where a locker may be required to get access to, due to the condition of the road and steep terrain. This years rains however the road may no longer exist. As soon as a cabin gets built then my truck will transform into an expedition camper? Hopefully that is.
So here we are in 2019, Detroit lockers are once again available and this post died almost 2yrs ago....

Any updates or feedback? As per post #1

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I like it. I dont really feel it too much when driving around on the road. I think the truck being awd helps. I have not had a chance to go offroading with it since there really isnt anywhere near me that I wouldnt end up stuck between two trees.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just purchased one ( thanks Steve6x!). The local differential shop will install it if I bring them the 3rd member. Technically, that should be easy. Practically, we'll see. I get the truck off camber often, its a must-have for me.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
None of the fmtv class of vehicles came with a locker. A member on here has had some made for our axles. I think they were in the $800's. I installed one in the rear when I did the gear upgrade. Taken it into some sloppy areas getting firewood, so far so good. Not looking forward to the day I get this thing stuck

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also upgraded to the locker with the gear swap. It’s been raining here in NC for what seems like forever. If you’ve ever gotten into red clay after weeks of rain, we’ll you know what I have here. Got into my lower pasture and need to climb an incline of about 10% maybe more. Slowed me down but never stopped- was nice seeing both rear tires slinging mud happily. Very very happy with adding it in. Once in awhile I feel it on the road, but not bad. Thanks Steve!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
The reason I asked is that MTP installs a aftermarket locker for $500 plus the cost of the locker. So there must be a readily available locker but who makes it?

coachgeo

The reason I asked is that MTP installs a aftermarket locker for $500 plus the cost of the locker. So there must be a readily available locker but who makes it?
two venders sell this locker.... both are / were based out of Florida so that puts it at a 50% chance it is a machine/tooling company out of FL.? One of those vendors (Bryce) is now in LA so odds are MTP is getting them from Bryce but that is just a guess.

That being said....... both Steve and Bryce's price is very reasonable... sometimes your better off to support your vendors.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installing it isn't too bad. Just time consuming and heavy parts. Took about 3 hours with a center section already out. Just make sure you look at the gear paterns before you take it all apart to you can return to the same wear patterns. Also helps that I have all the measurement tools needed. There is also a meritor setup guide online someplace for re assembly.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was watching the video of the guy doing his diff. Looks like this job is best left to the Pros.
Installing gears and lockers is a bunch of work, but isn't too far beyond mechanically inclined people. In simplified terms, you put the gears in there, smear the teeth with colored grease, look at the wear pattern in the grease as you turn them, take it back apart and adjust, then repeat. It's like anything else - it seems daunting the first time you do it, but then you figure out how it works and you realize it's not that bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks