• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All 5-tons: Heavy Duty Torque Rod Ends

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes and i am testing 4 dogbones fitted with them as we speak. I tow heavy and haul heavy with mine so i will have a good understanding of their durability. They do have some lateral movement especially with a heavy trailer and emptu bed.
I won't disclose the part number or supplier till i am sure they are worth it. I installed 48 of them in 4 off road use only m931s last week. They are 100,000 lb gvw in mud on uneven terrain and 1 has failed so far.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I too would like to see the failed one. When that one did fail, did it separate and allow the dog bone and axle to move out it's alignment the way a stock one would? I'm curious about this.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took my truck out for a little street and freeway driving yesterday. You know, to celebrate Earth Day ;);) The ride characteristics appear to the same as with the standard ends. Really no change. Being a short wheel-based truck, it has always been a bouncer anyway. Luckily, in the past few months our freeways have been getting a grade profile grinding which has smoothed them out considerably.

According to the TM, my truck weighs 20,165 lbs. With the added modified (less four ft.) dropside bed, I'm giving that another +/- 900 lbs., I will call it 21,000 lbs. curb weight. Even if I load it it up twice its rated payload weight (15,000 lbs.) to 30,000 lbs. equaling 51,000 lbs. GVWR, I will still be nowhere near 100,000 GVWR or even 97,000 lbs. That is a near 49,000 lb. difference. I think I will be OK in the weight area.

red

Yes and i am testing 4 dogbones fitted with them as we speak. I tow heavy and haul heavy with mine so i will have a good understanding of their durability. They do have some lateral movement especially with a heavy trailer and emptu bed.
I won't disclose the part number or supplier till i am sure they are worth it. I installed 48 of them in 4 off road use only m931s last week. They are 100,000 lb gvw in mud on uneven terrain and 1 has failed so far.

How's the testing going?

Mos68x

I certainly would feel more comfortable replacing mine, but I will definitely have to figure out how to justify $135 for each one to myself.

Csm Davis

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

74M35A2

Just slipped a bone and had it trash a day of off-roading 5 minutes into the trip. What is the story on these replacement ends? Anybody else use them? Like how they can't pull through, concern would be ball/socket seperation, as mentioned by others earlier. I'm considering to just improve my stock ones by drilling and tapping the center for a bolt and then use a big thick washer to hold the arm in place. Opinions valued, I will search also.

IMG_2854.jpgIMG_2857.jpg

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone made one from UHMW plastic and (something like) bolt/stud w/washer?

Lukes_deuce

Bumping this thread to see if there are any reviews of the new metal bushings or the other methods of securing the original torque rods. I just had two pop off this weekend while off roading. I had to weld a wrench across the bushing to keep the torque rod in place to limp off the trail. Not fun in the dark.
20171024_190731.jpg20171024_190705.jpg

Last edited:

74M35A2

I also just had a second one pop off at an off road park this past weekend. Can't get them back on. I use large ratchet straps to hold the axle in the correct place, and it drives home OK. Easy on accel and braking.

Such a stupid weak link on an otherwise fabulous suspension.

Last edited:

Lukes_deuce

bumping this up to see if there are any better new replacement bushings or updates on the new metal ones? I welded quarter inch plate across all of my dog bones but cant do much for the top ones.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Given the limited range of flexibility required, I wondered about a wrap or strap that would go around it in a figure 8 pattern and hold them on. Even something like strips of innertube that could be stretched tight to keep it from moving sideways and off.

cwedge411

Bought a set for one that blew off coming to a stop sign, rear-rear axle slide back, drive shaft popped off and destroyed itself...

DON'T LET THEM FALL OFF. I Went HD because I don't feel like dying..

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Driver's lower. The rear end just just sits on the spring pack, it's not tied to it at all. There was enough room for it to slide back enough to pull the drive shaft out and turn into a propeller.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
When the uppers bust loose is when the fun happens. I have had lowers bust loose at 60mph. Just feels like a trailer is pushing ya

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet the racket and damage left you with stained....well newfound pucker power.

74M35A2

The frequency of this seems to be increasing. Must be how long they last. I’ve lost 3 total on the last 2 off-road outings. All lowers so far. Upper seems to hold the axle from rotation. Sucks this is such a weak part and design. I get nervous wjen I hear the stories of them coming off on normal driving on flat hard ground. I’m convinced all 12 need to be replaced with and modified with a retainer mechanism to have any sort of reliability.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The frequency of this seems to be increasing. Must be how long they last. I’ve lost 3 total on the last 2 off-road outings. All lowers so far. Upper seems to hold the axle from rotation. Sucks this is such a weak part and design. I get nervous wjen I hear the stories of them coming off on normal driving on flat hard ground. I’m convinced all 12 need to be replaced with and modified with a retainer mechanism to have any sort of reliability.
I have a 90% complete rear bogie that Wes brought me. It's missing an axle but everything else is there, to include torque rods and all the mounts. I've been taking some measurements with the intent to adapt the more common, and cheaper, captured T-bar style rods.

The axle mounts are fairly straight forward. The trunnion end mounting is more difficult but I've got a plan for that as well. It's as long term, bottom shelf project so don't expect much progress in the near future. I'm sure you know where I'm coming from there. :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks