• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All 5-tons: Heavy Duty Torque Rod Ends

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
after reading all the threads and watching you do yours, i came to the same conclusion - cheaper to fix than drive to suspension failure (dog bone separation). i had been inspecting mine regularly and two lowers just failed last week (as in picture in previous post). so your posts have been perfect timing. and on a different note the alternator is working like a champ - thanks for that.

tobyS - 1-1/2 wide plate across. your concern makes me wonder which way i should install them (if it can matter) - vertical or horizontal (i don't do hard off road, so have never put my suspension in a hard twist).
In line with the axis of the bone so that extreme twist has room to go 30+ degree.....but like you say, you may never articulate that far. Don't saturate the weld heat too deep. I was thinking your flat with 2 screws would be nice, but not near as fast as welding.

74M35A2

Personal opinion, I would not weld unless emergency and the rubber already failed, as the rubber has a hard enough time holding on as it is. I would not want to drill and tap twice as much as necessary either by using 2 bolts.

If one really wants to attack the "plate is going to hit the bone" issue, then use a valve spring between the bolt head or nut, and the plate, bottoming the bolt out or use a stud instead with nyloc nut. This would easily allow the plate to flex in any direction, and would force a self-centering return, and still not let the arm fall off if the rubber went to lunch.

Each their own. Thinking out loud is good and can help others regardless. Love it.

Last edited:

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tobyS - hope that holds for you as there are more fun ways to spend... mine were good one week, then noticed the bone had shifted off the rubber by about 1/4 in. and i had only been driving on roads.

I bought the pre-attached plates from big mikes - he has a good (enough..LOL) price and has the tool to assist in assembly (again lots of threads on fab'ing one up on the cheap). so heat issues were not an issue for me. my welding skills and ability/access to machine and tap were such it was worth the price to let them do it. but i like what 74M35A2 did, nice fab work.

I have not installed mine yet but the safety plate appears to have been attached prior to the rod end rubber being molded (big mike probably can answer that). so there appears to be no issues with heat affecting the integrity of the rubber.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not being critical, don't take my various questions and statements the wrong way. I hope yours hold up and you never have to test to failure.

I've considered using them in a four link on a 4x4 but would have an entirely different mechanism to keep it centered...a "Watts link".

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tobyS - hope that holds for you as there are more fun ways to spend... mine were good one week, then noticed the bone had shifted off the rubber by about 1/4 in. and i had only been driving on roads.
Yea, I couldn't agree more. Mine is a 929A2 that can haul a good size load for that frame size truck, and articulating with a load could cause this trouble fast enough. My real nemesis seems to be having to reverse in low transfer case gear.

74M35A2 mentioned having a couple straps, which should be in the tool kit anyway and when I have a chance to get a tractor tube, I cut long strips and make a type of rubber strap that stretches, but could be wrapped to hold it on and flex to get home.

My purpose in talking design is because I have a surplus M35A3 rear axle to play with (use eventually in a build) and want to make a 4 link with a lot of flex, single rear axle.

Last edited:

74M35A2

All family here, good to hear different ideas.

The ratchet straps I used actually took the place of the rod itself for the one hour drives home, 2 times. They are the larger ones, and because I could not get the bone back over the rubber, I was forced to leave it off. I actually put a ratchet strap tight in the forward and rearward directions to hold the axle in place instead of the bone. Worked great, both times.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I don’t have to store or pay for it. I bought these ... We do one off modification work on existing parts, so CNC did not make a lot of sense.
If there is anything I can help anybody do by using them, I’d be glad to. I allow government jobs continuously, just not on work time.
MIG, TIG, plasma cutter ... Fun stuff.
Uh, Yeah, can you do my dogbone ends for me? Thanks dude. Then just drive down to the ranch with them. We will test out the off-road worthiness of our vehicles, and we will shoot all the guns ... Road trip!

74M35A2

Bro, looks like 36 of them from your sig? I may say KCUF ATHT.

You would have to have an awfully cool arsenal, and some other unmentioned pleasantries (family board) to make that come together.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have sent you the videos of me shooting in my house. Without disturbing the neighbors. Just a sample of the fun.

While the term “tactical” gets thrown around a lot, especially if it’s black and nylon, my short range tactical range is a day long affair before you move on to the rest.

The long range course goes out to a mile. I provide all ammo for you of course, 5.56, 260 Remington and 308 being favorites up to 300 Win Mag, although, the 375 H&H does quite well on the course. I shall not mention the portion of the course that shall not be mentioned online.

And if that does not do it for you, the friend with the LWS and the full auto Ma Deuce should top it off!

Silverstate has been there, but didn’t spend the night. Too bad. We had fun that week.

rustystud

I have sent you the videos of me shooting in my house. Without disturbing the neighbors. Just a sample of the fun.

While the term “tactical” gets thrown around a lot, especially if it’s black and nylon, my short range tactical range is a day long affair before you move on to the rest.

The long range course goes out to a mile. I provide all ammo for you of course, 5.56, 260 Remington and 308 being favorites up to 300 Win Mag, although, the 375 H&H does quite well on the course. I shall not mention the portion of the course that shall not be mentioned online.

And if that does not do it for you, the friend with the LWS and the full auto Ma Deuce should top it off!

Silverstate has been there, but didn’t spend the night. Too bad. We had fun that week.
I want to come !!!!!!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still regret not being able to hang around longer, but I hope to be able to come by again sometime with some “contributions” of my own. :mrgreen:

Your ranch is absolutely gorgeous, and I greatly appreciate your hospitality & the helpfulness of your friends. I’m very hard-pressed to think of a better group of fellows, especially with like-minded interests.

I fell in love with the area, and 98G’s recommendation of the best Ribeye steak ever at the BBQ restaurant in Chillicothe was spot-on....best I ever had!

Clint, I highly recommend bringing your family down to his ranch for a nice family vacation...you may even be tempted to keep your family there & buy a nice ranch of your own. I love it there!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to come !!!!!!
I have considered a get together. We have challenging terrain, trails to drive, plenty of shooting and other activities close by should neither of these keep you busy. As Silverstate55 mentioned, the best ribeye, apparently anywhere!

Have been considering it for a while.

74M35A2

Pretty ladies in TX and AZ. If I was scouting a wife again, I would start there.

Throw in a tug-of-war with green metal or lawn tractors, and I’d consider it.

rustystud

I still regret not being able to hang around longer, but I hope to be able to come by again sometime with some “contributions” of my own. :mrgreen:

Your ranch is absolutely gorgeous, and I greatly appreciate your hospitality & the helpfulness of your friends. I’m very hard-pressed to think of a better group of fellows, especially with like-minded interests.

I fell in love with the area, and 98G’s recommendation of the best Ribeye steak ever at the BBQ restaurant in Chillicothe was spot-on....best I ever had!

Clint, I highly recommend bringing your family down to his ranch for a nice family vacation...you may even be tempted to keep your family there & buy a nice ranch of your own. I love it there!
OK, now I really want to come !!!!!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty ladies in TX and AZ. If I was scouting a wife again, I would start there.
Throw in a tug-of-war with green metal or lawn tractors, and I’d consider it.
Tug of Verde is now official on the roster. Everyone bring your 939’s, tow straps and your lawn mowers. Once you mow the lawn, the fun shall commence.

The area is also designated as one of a few “dark skies” areas. A place where light pollution is minimal and star viewing is optimal. If you have never seen the stars, never really seen the stars, it is amazing on nights when it is clear and dry.

It’s the home of huge ranches like the Pitchfork, 6666, Triangle, Waggoner and a few others that register over a quarter million acres that nobody has heard of (Waggoner is the largest contiguous ranch in TX at, I think, 550,000 acres)

Its called the big empty. And if you have ever driven through the center of it, you might understand why.

http://texashighways.com/travel/ite...anhandle-region-caprock-canyons-copper-breaks

It would make a cool road trip. We could go to Caprock Canyons, then my ranch, then Copper breaks isn’t but 30 miles from me. Not a trip I’d like to do in the summertime.

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
question, ok two questions, one - did you put anything on the rod ends when pressing the new ones in, anti-size etc..? second - Simp-5782 asked about pre-load, first i've heard. i will check the TM, but not sure i understand how the torque rod/bone would be "pre-loaded" - old off, new on. did you do such a thing or is he pulling our dog bone??

thanks

74M35A2

I sprayed the outside of the new link end metal shell and ID of rod end with WD-40. I pressed in the center of the new link end to install (easy/lazy). I'm sure you are supposed to press the new one in by the outer shell. When the rubber is new, it can easily handle this much shear force with no damage. A 20 ton Harbor Freight press is perfectly sized to do this job, from both a force and anvil bar spacing perspective.

I did not preload on install like the TM advises. I assume this is an attempt to dampen the rear suspension bounce and rebound when unloaded since there are no shocks back there, but I did not want the continuous force on the new bushings. I'll accept a little more hop in exchange for hoping the link ends last longer. After all, it is a 5 ton military truck, not a Lexus. I installed all 6 torque rods with the truck sitting level on its wheels. Should be zero stress at this point.

I have several old shells from my removed ones. If you want one, it works great to press out your old ones, as the shells will likely stay behind in the rod end. Slit it and it becomes an easily reusable tool, I used one 12 times for mine, worked perfect every time, removes with finger pressure once done each time.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't read the TM but a preload would be like installing one end and tightening it down in say it's top position and then forcing it down to hook to the axle, where the rubber spring would be putting continuous torque, trying to return it to a neutral position. It makes sense, but I wonder about the performance difference....if there is any difference vs having no preload torque? Maybe someone can explain the concept a bit more. It could make a lot of the force shift to one or the other axle, if taken to the max.

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks for the offer but i sprung for the install tool from big mikes when i ordered the ends, it will install and uninstall the ends. tomorrow i will start the project. tonight i will cut the wrench down to fit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks