• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Status of the Military Salvage Yard in Rolla, Missouri

Kaiserjp

salvage yard

I believe Mr Dean is still around and still runs his salvage yard. Every time I go to Rolla I look for his truck , that is the best way to catch him. The large amphibian has been gone awhile now. He told me he used to take his grand kids for rides in it. Mostly 5 tons and a couple of rough M151's in his yard now. 1 gamma-goat.

Mongo

I talked to the guy at the local surplus store just South/West of Rolla less than two years ago. ** I NEVER VERIFIED THE FOLLOWING** He told me that the owner of the yard actually had TWO yards. One was the one facing the main road that you could see where the large amphibian used to be parked and another 110 acres of vehicles that were off the beaten path. He continued to tell me that in place of a fence on the acreage, he had surplus vehicles parked side by side to form a wall around the place.

wdbtchr

While my sons were going to Rolla I spent quite a lot of time trying to catch up with Dean. The only response I ever go was a flyer for a GOER he sent to me after I left a message with my information on his door.

I sure would like to find out where this other place is before it all winds up going to a scrapper because he's not a spring chicken.:roll:

ARYankee

I was just going to post about this yard because my wife and I saw it yesterday on our way from Rolla to Ft. Leonard Wood. We spent the night in Rolla because it had a Choice Hotel which I have a ton of points for so we got a free night. I wanted to stop in but we were already running late to go get the M923. Has anyone recently dealt with this guy? I am curious because if it was worth it we would take another trip up that way to check out what he has.

pigpen60

I bought a m416 trailer from Dean 20+ years ago. he had piles of m151/m416 wheels with tires of diferent tread depth. like was said earlier he sandwich cut the m151's, brilliant idea. went back 10-12 years ago and he offered me a job but by then i was married and was being paid way too much for what i was doing. would have been my idea of a dream job. just remebered how i heard of dean, a fella in marquand mo.(my home town) had a m4 high speed tractor we all called "tuckers tank"(fellas name was tucker) and he told me where he got it. dean still remebered tucker and still had a m4 out back. some time in there dean sold some ground north of his house to walmart and his employee was telling me he made a buttload of money. he was reputed to be very well connected in jeff city, to the point he was pulled over by mo sthp and when they saw who it was they apoligized and sent him on his way.

42GPW

rolla salvage

Warren is not able sell any items now. he sold all items on his lot to vender up in N.Y. but due to his health family has gotten involved and everything is on hold.

Old Salt

I went to school there for 5 years (02-07), only managed to check out that yard once. He did at one point have a DUKW rusting in the front yard, this was 8 years ago though. He had $15,000 charcoaled on the side. He also had some fire trucks and some old Jeeps, I don't remember much else. Anyone happens to stop by and get some recent pics that'd be cool.

99mrpc

Hi guys,
I just spoke to him about 2 weeks ago, he's 90 now. It seemed like he wanted to sell some stuff but I didn't ask because I wasn't in the market for anything (at the moment). We just shot the s**t for about an hour.
I moved to the Rolla area about a year ago. I'm still unpacking and getting my place together. I have few acres if anyone needs to temporally store stuff from the Fort lost in the woods, Dean's or as a transportation transfer location. If anyone is bored or wants free fire wood I could use some help cutting trees to clear some land. I would be willing to pick stuff up from the Fort and store them on my property for a reasonable fee until shipping can be set up. I have a flatbed trailer I can move things on that are up to about 7k lbs. Can lift about 1000 lbs off trailer at a time. Also have an M35A3.
Mark

Last edited:

chief1983

So, last time I went through Rolla, it looked like the Duck was gone but the front area was mostly empty. Just drove through over the weekend coming back from Bull Shoals, and wow. So much trucks. I have pics, will be posting soon, but there are what looked like at least a dozen 5 tons and deuces that I didn't recall seeing there before. Maybe he just reorganized, I don't know, but they looked in better shape than the rest of his lot. Would have taken more pics but was with the girlfriend's family and they kinda wanted to get down the road. He was in his trailer next to his house, which I believe is new too, and it has a sign posted now that says 'Office'. Looked like he was watching Texas Rising, but he couldn't hardly understand a thing I said, so I just said "we're gonna look around for a minute, ok?" and he was like, yeah, sure, go ahead.

chief1983

http://www.cliftongordon.com/rolla_yard.php Ok pics are uploaded. First half is mostly stuff that looks newer in the front, second half is mostly where I wandered back into the woods a bit, mostly stuff that looks like it's been sitting there a while. Curious what those two are that look like giant Gama Goats though, with the triple pane front windows and massive tires. Couldn't get to the data plates in either of them without getting poison ivy probably.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
They are Goar's, M520 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M520_Goer . Father back in there and over grown are cut in 1/2 B58 fuel tanks and south of his home place on the east side of the road is the quarry that still may have some stuff in it, last time I was there there were a lot of the boxes that got cut of high speed tractors to make them into wood tigers plus trailer frames and various things that were rotting away.

chief1983

Also, one of those Goers looks surprisingly complete, considering they were apparently mostly broken up before surplus, and also might be an M877. That or he just has a front and rear section pushed together.

chief1983

Didn't see anything like that, I think he's more into utility vehicles than combat vehicles. Troop and cargo transports, etc. Easier to acquire en mass probably.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks