• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Me-262

Another Ahab

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Me-262 originally came in both single and two-seat versions. The two-seater was designed as a night-fighter.

During WWII, many P-51s (and other planes) had a second seat added by squadron maintenance shops on war weary machines to use as squadron hacks (for flying about doing business, rather than combat). There was at least one production 2-seat version of the Mustang proposed, the TP-51C, but I believe they only built a few of them. One of the US museums has a flying one.
Check out the TP-47G for an odd one, proposed trainer version of the Thunderbolt.

Cheers
6e68b50a7059ad1d7d7131a7608380bc.jpgDon Bucky Dawson photo - N332 - 9-13-87 - 001.jpg In recent years there have been several P-51s that have been converted to TF-51 (dual control) aircraft. Two Reno Gold Race winning aircraft, the beautiful and famous P-51 racers Stiletto, and Sumthin' Else have been converted to plain Jane TF-51s. Very Sad!! :cry:

Another Ahab

You are right, Tracer. I didn't think it would be sad. But then when you see how the airframe was changed, it just is NOT the same aircraft.

It's not "pretty" anymore.

And that is sad.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, there are lots of post-war civilian two seat mods, I was only referring to the WWII military-modified planes.

Cheers

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep! Engine is mid-fuselage, so you can do whatever you want in the nose, just have to work around the prop drive shaft

Cheers

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
8f879428834e19bcdeac133b1edeed0d.jpg The beautiful Reno Racer Sumthin' Else as it exists today, as the long canopy TF-51 Diamondback. Sumthin' Else was owned and piloted by the late great John Crocker. Brother Ahab, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Thx.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

View attachment 682127 The beautiful Reno Racer Sumthin' Else as it exists today, as the long canopy TF-51 Diamondback. Sumthin' Else was owned and piloted by the late great John Crocker. Brother Ahab, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Thx.
You haven't hijacked anything, Tracer. This is just a conversation here and all contributions are appreciated.

That Sumthin' Else IS something else!

The North American P-51 is a beautiful airframe. And in flight, it's something to see. I count myself lucky to have seen them in the air once or twice.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lordy, they sure did butcher that one up.

View attachment 682118
They did! Your picture is actually a P-63 Kingcobra. It is basically the P-39 developed to it's full potential as quite good fighter. But by that time, the US wanted to limit the number of fighter types it was using, so the majority of P-63 production went to the Russkies, who used it to good effect. They also used the P-39 effectively long after the US had relegated it to second-line use.

Cheers

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF1668.jpgDSCF1671.JPGDSCF1673.JPGDSCF1674.JPGDSCF1675.JPGDSCF1676.JPGDSCF1677.JPGDSCF1679.JPGDSCF1678.JPG Took a trip to the Hawthorne Munitions Museum and took some pictures of the museums two QH-50C drones. The drones entered service in the early 1960s and were used by the USN for anti-submarine warfare. One of the drones is armed with torpedo's, and the other is armed with rockets. The drone control station is the size of a small car, a far cry from the hand held controls of todays drones. The info board on the first picture gives the details of this little known aircraft.

Another Ahab

This is kind of long (8 minutes +/-), but it gives an overall summary, from the early development to the final few sorties.

Towards the end of the vid it addresses a U.S. bomber raid over Berlin involving 1,200 bomber aircraft. That would not have been a good day to be in Berlin:

https://youtu.be/Bm4-7GXeaUA

Guyfang

Staff member
I met a B-17 crewman at the DMV in Ogdon, Utah. He told me that by the end of the war, bomber raids on Berlin were simply moving mounds of rubble from one side of a bomb crater, to another.

Another Ahab

This vid is pushing the limit on lapsed time (8 minutes +/_). Generally I don't like posting anything more than 5-6 minutes (people are busy).

But it looks like this might be pretty good (funny, but I haven't watched it all the way through).

I just scoped it long enough to confirm that it's good quality, and might have some good content:

https://youtu.be/2SBAhNb1Y4w

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice video to watch. [thumbzup]

I just wish the folks who make videos didn't think we need rousing music to go along with it, I'd rather hear the aeroplane! Same thing at airshows.

Cheers

Another Ahab

Nice video to watch. [thumbzup]

I just wish the folks who make videos didn't think we need rousing music to go along with it, I'd rather hear the aeroplane! Same thing at airshows.
Couldn't agree with you more.

Over the last couple of years I've even noticed how big Fourth of July fireworks now tend to have a musical "accompaniment". :shrugs:

Doesn't seem like any enhancement, but I guess it's become the fashion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks