• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv oil sample analysis

bob smith

A Hmmwv I would be interested in buying has only 20 lbs of oil pressure and very low mileage. i am concerned about the low pressure and what the oil sample on this low mileage engine shows.

On the face of the sample is this a bad deal? I would expect the oil pressure to be around 45 lbs

OIL SAMPLE ANALYSIS

ENGINE
TRANSMISSION

date of analysis
Apr 03, 2017
Apr 03, 2017
Lead
10.99 PPM
6.8 PPM
Chromium
4.05 PPM
0 PPM
Copper
3.98 PPM
22.71 PPM
Silver
0 PPM
0 PPM
Nickel
1.11 PPM
0 PPM
Tin
0 PPM
0 PPM
Aluminum
1.24 PPM
0.86 PPM
Silicon
74.46 PPM
20.52 PPM
Iron
33.99 PPM
24.95 PPM
Glycol
NEG
N/A
Water
NEG
N/A
Fuel
<5%
N/A

I am new to the world of the HMMWV so i really could use some guidance.
Bob

Carrera911

The oil pressure depends on how hot the oil was. On cold starts mine is at 45 and on hot days after a long drive it idles at 10-15. You can search black stone labs oil analysis chart for what normal levels are. I know high silicon is from poor air filtration and allowing dirt into the intake. Different metals are found in piston rings, bearings etc. The fuel in the oil is likely from a failed seal in the mechanical pump. I honestly don't know if they really test the oil. I've seen the oil topped off and the drain bolt didn't look like it was touched in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OPFORMI

The TM states that idle pressure should be 15 PSI. As far as the drain bolt not looking like it has been touched, that is not uncommon since most of us (ex-green suit wearers) always used a vampire pump to pull POL samples through the dipstick tube, so I would assume GP uses the same procedure. Draining the oil for a sample would be both expensive and time consuming. Nothing concerning in the oil sample analysis from what I can see.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like others have stated, the odometer can be changed at any time. Get a real oil gauge and see where that is going, mine usualy goes high at first start then goes to the 15-20 range once warmed up.
The only way I know that mine was low milleage is that iI replaced the rear main oil seal, so I was able to look at the cylinder walls and the crankshaft bearing, everything was like new, I even changed the oil pump while I was there, run's great

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks