• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Cooling System Upgrade Kit

911joeblow

Guys, you may have seen the kits I build for the HMMWVs 6.2, 6.5 and 6.5T which reduces the overall system temps and balances the overall block temps. You will have less fan on time and more power as a result. Longetivity will be improved significantly as well. The side benefit of the kit is reducing the cabin temps as the rear of these blocks runs much hotter than the front.

The issue is that the system will not fit the same due to the difference in the CUCV and the HMMWV coolant crossover pipe. I have developed a different system but I need a guinea pig. So for the first taker the kit will be $200 vs the normal $250. If the kit needs to be reworked you will get the reworked kit. I am 99% sure this will fit correctly but I dont have a CUCV right now to verify.

Below are pics of the HMMWV kits. Several SS members have the kits and they are working great.

IMG_20170416_133215.jpgIMG_20170416_160048.jpgIMG_20170416_160059.jpgIMG_20170416_160245.jpgIMG_20170417_113725.jpg

911joeblow

I like the kit but where does the temp senor go. Idiot light water temp sensor goes in the rear driver side hole.

rich
I have an adapter that adds an AN fitting inline between the plate and the sender. I will need one as an example to make sure the measurements are correct. The ideal situation would be someone who is out of commission for a few weeks that can send the drivers side plate to me for verification and ideally the front crossover too.

richingalveston

The only access to the front cross over would be between the water pump and cross over, you would have to put a T in the short hose. this would connect your two rear feeds to the bypass on the water pump so you would have flow at all times,

The rear sensor plate can be ordered it just has a threaded hole in the center for the sensor, I think they are less than 10 bucks.

The only other input or output in the cross over is the heater core connection and that would not work. The t- at water pump would be best option but the rear connections will not utilize the thermostat so cold weather guys may not warm up very well. I like it for my area.

Rich

911joeblow

The only access to the front cross over would be between the water pump and cross over, you would have to put a T in the short hose. this would connect your two rear feeds to the bypass on the water pump so you would have flow at all times,

The rear sensor plate can be ordered it just has a threaded hole in the center for the sensor, I think they are less than 10 bucks.

The only other input or output in the cross over is the heater core connection and that would not work. The t- at water pump would be best option but the rear connections will not utilize the thermostat so cold weather guys may not warm up very well. I like it for my area.

Rich
Rich,

Thanks for your comments. I am actually going into the thermostat area. This will not effect warm up time negatively at all. I need a crossover and a rear plate with the sender in it to complete the kits.

richingalveston

what I am trying to say is there is no place to connect on the cross over besides the bypass or the heater hose. unless you drill tap and thread the cross over, you cannot connect to it. you may be able to make a thermostat housing extension but the 6.2 cross over has no sensors or other connections. without making a new hole, the only option you have with the 6.2 cross over is to put a T at the bypass hose.

911joeblow

I am putting it on the the thermostat housing area with either a modified housing or an intermediate plate between the thermostat and the crossover. I need the entire assembly to make sure the measurements for the hoses are right.

richingalveston

Ok, that could work.
I don't have a cross over to send you, I am in need of mine to finish my build. there should be someone out there with a loner. may want to put it in the want adds.

I think in hot areas, it would work best if it were running through the bypass. This would give you a bypass on all 4 corners since the front has the main bypass and heater core bypass.

With the connection behind the thermostat, I would think the flow would be very minimal from the back even when the thermostat was open due to the small hoses and long travel.

I have been considering adding a rear cross over so keep us posted on your progress.

rich

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1988 and newer models have a 3/8 NPT port on the passenger side of the crossover.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a CUCV cross over also if in need of another. I have interest in this project.

ssdvc

I have a HUMMER cross over I was going to use on my M1009, but I won't be able to get to it for a little while. Would that help?

911joeblow

I have a HUMMER cross over I was going to use on my M1009, but I won't be able to get to it for a little while. Would that help?
The Hummer one should be the same as Ken's so no need. I will need the other type out there at some point too.

911joeblow

SWISS or SSDVC,

Ken just let me know his crossover is not to be found so can either of you send your out? PM me. Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks