• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Cooling System Upgrade Kit

Keith_J

With all due respect, while there were/are cooling kits out there, the devil is in the details. We are the only kit that does NOT utilize the heater circuit to attempt to return coolant from the back of the block. This seemingly small difference is actually quite a large one. With the heater valve closed these systems are of little benefit. In other words, you have to have the heater on to gain the maximum cooling benefit. I for one would like to keep my heater off in the summer when I want the most from my cooling system ;) Beyond that, there really is no comparison to our quality level either, no hose clamps and cutting of hoses to install our set-up.

As for the rest of what we are working on, again yes there is/was a turbo kit for the 6.2/6.5, BUT it is not intercooled, used very old turbocharging technology and did not take advantage of newer wastegate designs either. While there are several different options for OD transmissions, we are producing a full bolt-in kit with a lot of tech in the transmission to survive our hopped up trucks. We are not trying to cater to the masses, actually we would like to stay focused on this small group of enthusiasts which we consider ourselves a part of.
Interesting..still want to go 4L80, move the engine forward 1.75" to keep transfer case fixed (M1031 SECM with functioning PTO generator) and also use the extra space for two VNT17 turbochargers with Arduino controlled vanes for zero lag boost. Just 8 PSI boost, those turbines would spool up in a fraction of a second and not need intercooling.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am interested in these kits. Question - what size hose is run from the rear block-off plates forward to the crossover? From the photos, the early kits had 3/8" hose (6AN) and the newer kits have 1/4" hose (4AN).

richingalveston

I will let the op chime in but yes it appears to be AN 4 I just got my set. I don't have my heads back yet and my flowkooler water pump is on back order
The parts all look good, nice quality.
I thought the lines would be bigger. I suppose to much flow would not be a good thing either, probably create a hot spot else where, definitely large enough to keep all air pockets out of the back.
I had considered making something like this and for the price I am glad someone else has saved me a lot of time.
Rich

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rich what do you intend to do about the glow plug sensor in the block off plate on the drivers side? The kit doesn’t seem to accommodate this.

richingalveston

the hummer kit is different than the cucv. the cucv kit has a t that goes into the system at the rear plate, so the sensor has a place to be installed.

you may need a mixed kit if you are running a hummer cross over and the cucv sensors. the Humvee and cucv kits are different.

911joeblow

I am interested in these kits. Question - what size hose is run from the rear block-off plates forward to the crossover? From the photos, the early kits had 3/8" hose (6AN) and the newer kits have 1/4" hose (4AN).
We changed from a soft hose to an armored and rubber coated hose about a year ago but the internal flow of the entire kit did not change. The flow of the system is internally regulated which came from a lot of R&D to get enough to create rear flow to balance the block temperatures but not too much to overcool the rear and subsequently undercool the front.

911joeblow

Rich what do you intend to do about the glow plug sensor in the block off plate on the drivers side? The kit doesn’t seem to accommodate this.
As mentioned there are significant differences between the HMMWV kits and the CUCV kits. The Full CUCV kits have accommodated the glow plug sensor. If your application is modified from a stock HMMWV or CUCV we have existing kits or custom one-off kits we can build to accommodate nearly every iteration out there. Just send us an email on our site or give us a call.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Incoming order! Should be easy to install during an injector pump swap. This is on a 1031 SECM so there might be an issue around the governor.

911joeblow

Incoming order! Should be easy to install during an injector pump swap. This is on a 1031 SECM so there might be an issue around the governor.
We will get it on the way! Don't think there should be any issues with the governor but we have never had a 1031 in the shop either so I guess we are going to find out. We can always change things up to accommodate if need be.

Keith_J

The postman delivered! Love the all black tacticool look with this generation. Now to get a dry day to install. Its been pouring for the last month.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Installed with a few issues. Sure enough, the governor is a problem. Needed a 1/4" NPT nipple and coupling. Had a hydraulic nipple and brass coupling so corrosion may be an issue. Trying to find aluminum.

This mod also needs a longer driver side hose. I switched them, routing the passenger side under the manifold. Tight but works. I had to massage the steel vacuum line to clear the AN nut.

No leaks but not yet fully tested.

Yes, I broke the upper bolt. Didn't have enough alum to dissolve it, tried heat and silver soldered a 1/4" rod into the hole I drilled through the stub, no success. 10-1.5 Helicoil fixed it.1203181425.jpg

The issue with the governor is the arm and pushrod which actuates the throttle is right where the wye fitting sits. When the hex nipple and coupling are added, the driver side hose is too short so I swapped out the hoses which made the right side tight.

An extra inch would be perfect. I even tried to switching out the orientation of the driver side tee, still not enough.

Last edited:

911joeblow

Going forward, I think we can come up with a solution which will extend the normal 90 degree fitting packaged with the CUCV kits out a few inches to clear the governor on 1031 trucks. We can also change the hoses to accommodate the new position. We can then make this a kit option when purchasing the CUCV kit.

Keith, I will let you know what we come up with. Also let me know what length hose you need to fix the issue.

Keith_J

Copy that, working 11 hour shifts now so limited time. Going to use a rope mockup for hose length measurements.
No leaks in the system after a full temp run.

Mark7184

As promised here are the pics of the new ALL CUCV kits. Again this kit requires no modifications to install. The temperature sensor stays in the rear drivers side coolant plate area. The large adapter assembly you see in the pics is made on a HAAS 5 axis CNC machine out of a solid billet of 6061 aluminum and then anodized for long life and good looks. It also has an extra port (plugged when shipped) that can be used for an additional temp sensor or as a coolant return for those that want to run an aftermarket turbo set-up. In fact with our rear adapter added in you have a water feed for the turbo too. Lastly all kits are now shipping with our solid billet rear plates too (drivers side is steel in these kits).

So for those with multiple 6.2/6.5 trucks, this is our current list of supported vehicles:
HUMVEE 6.2/6.5
HUMVEE 6.5T
CUCV 6.2/6.5/6.5T
CUCV Hybrid 6.2/6.5 (w/HUMVEE crossover)
Civilian GM 6.2/6.5/6.5T (Side mount turbo)
Civilian GM 6.5T (Center mount turbo)

View attachment 711771View attachment 711770View attachment 711769
Beautiful kits!!!

2INSANE

I was wondering if there has been tests done that show this kit lowers the temperatures in the rear of the block with a laser temperature gun pre install and post install?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks