• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Cooling System Upgrade Kit

ssdvc

Derek,

If I use the Hummer crossover on my M1009, will the Hummer kit fit without mods or will the CUCV need to be used, but with mods?

911joeblow

If you have the sensor in the back head plate you will need a hybrid kit.

I forgot to mention recently that I still need the rear plate with sensor as well.

911joeblow

Thank you SSDVC for sending your crossover. So the crossover sent is exactly the same as the HMMWV crossover. Is it correct then that some CUCVs have that style crossover? My understanding was that they all used the civilian style crossover?

Which brings me to the next question which is do they all also have the rear temp sensor in the drivers side rear block plate?

Lastly I still need to borrow the temp sensor on the plate for fabrication. Thanks!

richingalveston

post some pics of the cross over.
all cucv's to my knowledge use same cross over. thermostat facing radiator. with hose connection for bypass and heater core.
and I believe all cucv's have the same sensor in the back of the engine, drivers side, passenger side is a block off plate.

There is a winter kit, not sure what changes, I think it is all add on stuff.

Rich

richingalveston

I have thought about taking the back to ports and connecting them to the heater core, plug the front heater hose connection. this will give you a bypass operating full time in the back of the motor and in the front.
you cannot extend the thermostat housing very much or the bolt will be in the way of the alternator belt.

no other connections like the hummer and civy

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a little curious, I was under the assumption that the coolant flows from the water pump around the cylinders then up into the heads from the back of the block. Then forward across the heads to the thermostat housing and out to the rad. If this bypass helps then is coolant able to come up to the heads in the front of the block? Allowing some of the coolant in the back to become stagnant? Or at least not flowing very well? I know in the later years GM used a higher volume water pump with a larger bypass and a dual thermostat to increase flow. Is the stock pump able to move more GPM with this kit?

911joeblow

I'm a little curious, I was under the assumption that the coolant flows from the water pump around the cylinders then up into the heads from the back of the block. Then forward across the heads to the thermostat housing and out to the rad. If this bypass helps then is coolant able to come up to the heads in the front of the block? Allowing some of the coolant in the back to become stagnant? Or at least not flowing very well? I know in the later years GM used a higher volume water pump with a larger bypass and a dual thermostat to increase flow. Is the stock pump able to move more GPM with this kit?
You are correct about the flow pattern. The issue is that the feed and return are at the front of the block and heads, coolant stagnates at the rear of the block. Localized temperatures of the rear two cylinders is 40+deg hotter than the fronts. This is a VERY common issue on early GM style V8 blocks and the best fix has lways been what you see here. I used to do this a lot in my past motorsports career. Because this system creates flow from the rear of the block it balances out the inherent design flaw having the coolant feed and return at the front of the engine.

911joeblow

I am interested, the 6.2 in M1008 runs really hot here in Arizona going up the mountain grades.
Unfortunately I have hit a brick wall as it were. Until I have the drivers side rear coolant block off plate with the sensor in hand I cant complete the CUCV version of the kits. Ideally somebodies truck is down for maintenance or unused for a few weeks and can send it too me to finish the kits. As I said above they will get a discounted kit.

911joeblow

I do have a local guy with a CUCV but his F150 took a dump and his CUCV is now his daily driver. So that is my backup plan but how long it takes is the question.

sschaefer3

Well, I can send you one of the things above and a crossover, am I going to get them back? I leave for Mexico tomorrow for 2 weeks as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks