• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Cooling System Upgrade Kit

sschaefer3

I do not have the sensor. But if you tell me what sensor it is, I'll buy one. I just want to make sure I'll get all this stuff back in the end.

911joeblow

Oh absolutely, I just need to them to make sure everything fits correctly. I could buy the sensor too if I had the part number.

richingalveston

that is the glow plug controller card sensor but not the one you need That one goes in the passenger side port right behind exhaust manifold. The one you need is for the idiot light.
It goes in the block off plate. I can possibly get a picture of mine.

sschaefer3

Idiot light sensor is the front of the driver side head. That is where I plumbed my mechanical temp gauge and I no longer have the idiot light. My truck has a GP sensor on the back of the drivers side.

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have yall tried swapping to a 180 deg thermostat? I also swapped to a 6 blade 20inch fan. The stock 5 blade fan isn't up the task. Even towing my tractor in 100+ Texas heat it never breaks 190 now.

ssdvc

I think the OP's intent is to come up with a system that attempts to improve the 6.2 cooling by directing some coolant flow directly to the rear of the block, where temperatures are much high than average and have an adverse effect on block longevity. Just swapping out stats won't do that.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree. I am planning on adding his kit my self. I can understand a 195 tstat for trucks in New England. But for those of us in a warmer climate running so close to critical temps can't be a good idea. I would think a lower inlet water temp could only help keep these hot spots in check. A bigger 6 blade fan and a lower tstat should help reduce these temps through out the block/heads. Some guys out west are running well over 200. too hot for my comfort.

911joeblow

This is the rear of my Drive Side head. View attachment 682387
This is what I need in hand. I assume both the two wire and the single wire are identical thread count and size. What I am going to do is fabricate a custom block off plate to contain both the sensor and my coolant fitting but the packaging is VERY tight and I dont want to start making these unless I know it will fit properly. I am getting a bunch of HMMWV kits out this week and will get back on this once I have a sensor in hand. I should be able to get this done next week or two.

rsh4364

Where does the AN fitting to hose barb 90 go to? I'm thinking heater but my humvee crossover has heater hose outlet in same spot as my cucv crossover.

911joeblow

Where does the AN fitting to hose barb 90 go to? I'm thinking heater but my humvee crossover has heater hose outlet in same spot as my cucv crossover.
I have fabricated an adapter that moves the thermostat and cover out from the crossover a bit and allows for the return from my system into the adapter.

richingalveston

You can purchase in line thermostats, just wondering if it would be simplified and give better flow if the rear cross overs connected to an in line thermostat which could then return to the radiator side of thermostat. It would be possible also to split the radiator hose with a simple T.

This would bypass the need for the dual thermostat setup that the cucv does not have

just a thought. carry on
Rich

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks