• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 318: To sell or not to sell....

McGuyver

Hi guys,

I have a decision I've been mulling over for a few months that I'd like all of your input on. I recently completed an engine and transmission swap on my M880- I replaced the Stock 318 and 727 auto tranny with a 440 BB with a 727 with BB bell housing. To anyone who's ever driven a stock M880, my reasons for doing this should be obvious: let's face it, the EPA regulations of the late 70's produced a SB 318 with much to be desired as far as horsepower is concerned. In fact the HP numbers for that year were the lowest of any year I looked up for the 318- a measly 150 or so. So now that I've "upgraded" I've got a decision to make: should I keep the motor and tranny on the remote possibility that someday I may want to keep it for collector value in order to do an "original" restoration on the truck, or sell the motor to my brother in law who needs to replace the blown 318 in his `86 Dodge W100? As much as I love my M880, (and I say this sincerely) I'm still realistic enough to realize that there probably isn't much collector value in the M880, which seems to be a disdained ugly step child as far as the rest of the military vehicle collector community is concerned. Be that as it may I'm not bothered by it, I still love my M880 regardless. So what do you think guys? What would you do?

nattieleather

Here I thought you were going to sell the truck and I was going to say sell it to me. You are right on the value thing, but 50 years from now they will be very valible because they will be an odd ball truck. Much like GTB Fords are from WWII. If your brother in law needs the motor sell it to him. After all if you decide to put the truck back to stock later in life you could just go and get another 318. Unless your trucks motor matches etc then maybe you should keep it.

I know not much help....that's a tuff call.

AJMBLAZER

Sell it.

I don't kid myself that 50 years from now someone's going to want the OEM parts from my CUCV. Just like there's Jeep snobs now there will be HMMWV snobs then.

N1265

I agree, sell it, after all he is Family and you cold proubly get it back if needed.

In fifty years nobody is really going to care if you have to put another 318 into it and the numbers dont match. In that ammount of time They will just be glad to see one on the road with a 318 in it .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks