• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone swapped a 6.5Turbo engine into a 6.2 HMMWV? What is needed? Grocery list?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am considering a 6.2 to 6.5 liter TURBO swap.

I hear rumors about requiring a 2 inch body lift kit. I also need to know about issues with fuel return lines and compatability of new style fuel injector pump with old style vehicle.

I can get a 6.5l TURBO rebuilt block with alternator and new power steering box and water pump ready for drop in, BUT there is no way it is just a simple engine swap. I need a grocery list of everything I will need to make this work. I initially plan to budget a weekend, but is this reasonable?

Is there a TM on swapping one engine for the other?

Has anyone done the swap. When I search the forum too much other stuff comes up and I found nothing valuable, but there is no way someone here has not attempted this and posted.

(I'm doing the swap because I need a turbo especially when I drive the mountains of Vermont and New York. N/A vehicles fall flat on mountains, and my other Diesels sucked until I turbocharged).

Best,

T

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks...

And what about the other issues I might encounter?

T

snowtrac nome

the 6.5 t engines had a reverse rotation fan and water
pump. the 6.5 td also had a different radiator pack with ,additional power steering coolers, and a large air to oil oilcooler and transmission cooler. the radiator was thinner likely, because of fact a turbo diesel creates less heat than the precup na engine. I cant remember about the radiator hose inlets and outlets but you could likely get away with your 6.2 radiator and not use all the hd oil coolers if the truck will never see service in Iraq. the exhaust was just one pipe that dropped down than attached to the muffler instead of a y pipe, any muffler shop should be able to fab one up for you good luck

bobwire

Yes the 6.2 rad works fine. Your will need a turbo style doghouse. And if the motor does not come with, you will need the plastic air intake tube as well. The 6.2 rubber tube that connects it to the air filter works fine and the 6.2 wire harness works as well.
If the voltage requirement for the future 700R controller is 12V, you may want to make sure the included alternator is dual voltage.
I agree, I dont think you need a 2" body lift. I reluctantly put one on mine because I thought it was necessary and I have more than enough clearance.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you get the turbo dog house...you have to cut the body in the doghouse area for the exhaust.

erasedhammer

I just replaced my 6.2 with a GEP 6.5Turbo take out about 6 months ago.

If you can find a mostly complete engine, then order any missing/broken parts of the new engine... It will drop right in place of the 6.2. All cooling, fuel, and oil lines will match right up. Everything bolts right in. The only thing that will require more than just turning a wrench will be the doghouse. Gotta trim the body slightly.

It's actually a little more complicated to mate the turbo up with the th400, since the turbo engines are set up for electronic tps and rpm sensors, and the fact that the th400 is not tuned for the turbo.

Hmmwvproject1

I just replaced my 6.2 with a GEP 6.5Turbo take out about 6 months ago.

If you can find a mostly complete engine, then order any missing/broken parts of the new engine... It will drop right in place of the 6.2. All cooling, fuel, and oil lines will match right up. Everything bolts right in. The only thing that will require more than just turning a wrench will be the doghouse. Gotta trim the body slightly.

It's actually a little more complicated to mate the turbo up with the th400, since the turbo engines are set up for electronic tps and rpm sensors, and the fact that the th400 is not tuned for the turbo.
I'm in the middle of doing this swap. I'm using a pull out 6.5 gep turbo and 4l80e. I started it for the first time last night. Engine is running rough at idle and I don't hear the turbo at all. First thought was air in the fuel still, do I need to check anything on the turbo?

Skrilex

Banned
I'm in the middle of doing this swap. I'm using a pull out 6.5 gep turbo and 4l80e. I started it for the first time last night. Engine is running rough at idle and I don't hear the turbo at all. First thought was air in the fuel still, do I need to check anything on the turbo?
Did you make sure the compressor spins freely? If they sit for a long time they can seize up a little.

erasedhammer

Air in the fuel lines will be a definite. Another common problem is old injectors. My injectors were completely ****ed when I got the engine so I had to replace them. After that I had some more power, smoother running engine and a whole 8 mpg extra!

Hmmwvproject1

Air in the fuel lines will be a definite. Another common problem is old injectors. My injectors were completely ****ed when I got the engine so I had to replace them. After that I had some more power, smoother running engine and a whole 8 mpg extra!
Thanks for the advice. It was air in the system. Cracked an injector smoothed out the idle. Think I need a new set of injectors. Hear a slight knock and black smoke. Any recommendations?

erasedhammer

Thanks for the advice. It was air in the system. Cracked an injector smoothed out the idle. Think I need a new set of injectors. Hear a slight knock and black smoke. Any recommendations?
New set of genuine Bosch injectors with a new set of glow plugs and it should run new!
Don't fall for the high output or marine injector scam. Just get standard high quality injectors for the 6.5 turbo

Rmtaunton

Ok motor is in and wired up , it is going to the th400 have power but can’t get starter to turn , since new motor doesn’t have a plug for the neautral safety switch so thinking I might try to send alternate power to solenoid to trick it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks