• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kentucky: VIN stencil in lieu of plate??

jimm1009

I am about 95% sure that I am relocating from Louisiana to the Cincinnati area but will reside in Kentucky.
My M38 and M1009 have no license plates and are registered using the VIN in lieu of a plate.
Does Kentucky allow this?
I am also looking to purchase a 5 ton up in that area and will want to do the same thing for it as well.
Any advice on this will help greatly as I have only lived in and am familiar with Indiana and Louisiana rules
on this subject.
Thanks,
Jim aka; jimm1009

Last edited by a moderator:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim,
Welcome to the Bluegrass State. Land of pretty horses and fast women. Kentucky will require a plate to be on the vehicle. Once the VIN verification is satisfied by the local sheriff's office, you apply for a KY Title and plate, your vehicles will be eligible for Historic Vehicle plates, real inexpensive. As for a 5 ton, got several to chose from, titled in KY.
JC

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Even in Ohio, you get a plate, but you are allowed to stencil the plate number on the truck (as long as you keep the plate in the truck).

jimm1009

Thanks for the replies. I wonder how hard this would be to introduce into legislature there.
Our trucks look soooo much better without that stinkin plate on them.
Jim

jimm1009

Well it finally looks like I am going to Louisville for work.
I just purchased new-to-me M35A2 W/W and need to transfer it from Texas title in
former owner's name to mine.
Can you guys in KY fill me in on what I will need to do for registration. I guess that we can
not register it without a license plate as I can in Texas, Indiana, Louisiana, and a few others
by using the military VIN method.
What are taxes and fees IF you know. If not, I will call the local DMV for Louisville and ask.
Not sure which county I will buy in but am actively looking hard.
Jim (jimm1009)

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim,
Congrats on your new truck, now you need a new home...
As for the truck, KY will require a title in your name, proof of insurance. Safety inspection is real easy, just the basics.
Register as a Historic Vehicle, tax burden is a lot less or the vehicle will be subject to annual property taxes. Buy 5 or more acres and register as a "Farm" truck. As for the plate, it will need to be installed on the truck, I tried driving w/ the plate in the cab/onboard. Got stopped by the state police, Trooper says, " you're not military, where's the plate?" I say. In the cab and show him the plate, He says, " put it on the truck where it belongs". I say " yes sir", he says, " nice truck", end of story.

jimm1009

are your KY guys and gals sure that there is no way to register it with the military VIN {serial number} and
not have to install an actual plate?
I know that I have been in a different state but there are several that do not have to have a plate even though
the vehicle is registered.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Indiana- yes, Kentucky - no. All my trucks have plates installed, magnetic plate bracket helps for removal for parades, etc. Its a minor inconvenience.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scar59 is correct, there is no provision in KY law that allows you to operate the vehicle without a plate, or use stencils in place of a plate. If the vehicle is registered as historic, then you can use a KY plate that is at least 25 years old, as long as you carry the registration and plate in the vehicle. See KRS 186.0435.

It might be possible to get a bill through the legislature that would allow stencils to be displayed rather than a plate. The police may have some concerns, so perhaps it could be limited to vehicles with historic registration, or require that original vehicle appearance and markings be maintained, as is the case in some states.

It would probably be easier to get the state to issue a special plate for former military vehicles. This would be a matter of producing a design and getting it added to the list of "perpetual" special plates in KRS 186.166. In order to build support, some of the fee could go to the KY Dept for Veteran's Affairs, as it does for the "I Support Veterans" plate (See KRS 186.1722).

It is also possible in KY to have a special plate issued for an organization, but it requires a commitment of 900 applications with the $25 fee prepaid, probably not going to happen. (KRS 186.164)

jimm1009

Can Kentucky owners use an actual Year of Manufacture plate for their real registration?

I have a 1946 CJ2A Jeep. I have an authentic 1946 Indiana plate and since it is registered there at this time,
I can drive it with the 46 plate displayed.
Is this the same in KY?

For the M35A2 would it have to be a Truck Plate used at the time or would a car plate be ok?
Over the river to the north, the plate used at the time for a 46 Jeep was a Car Plate and is
historically correct.
Yes I will reregister it in KY when I find property to purchase. I need to define the county of residence
as each county is different in tax rates, or so I understand. I may and probably be Bullitt County but
not sure yet.

jimm1009

Last edited:

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is 186.0435, which applies if the vehicle is registered historic:

KRS 186.0435.jpg

It needs to be a KY plate, or a reproduction of one. You could get one made:

KY repro plates.jpg

jimm1009

As I thought. I will try to find a actual 1970 plate for my truck.
I guess I will need to find one for my 1984 M1009 too. It has never had a plate
on it so this will be a first.
I also have a 46 CJ2A so I will be plate shopping. lol
Jim

jimm1009

So has anyone found out if a truck plate must be used for an M35A2 if you were to find a correct year of manufacture plate?

I have a 1970 and I found an Oldham County 1970 car plate in great shape that is for sale.
Can it be a car plate or did Kentucky require a truck plate at the time?
jimm1009

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks