• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best way to tell when power is restored?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can't do a passive solution you're pretty much left with calling the power company and having them pull your meter while you install something.

csheath

I just wanted to finalize this thread with my choices. I purchased a power out and a power back alarm made by Reliance Controls.

IMG_1499.jpg

The power out alarm will wake us if power goes out while we are sleeping. It has it's own battery built in so all I had to do is plug it in and turn the switch on. I plugged it into an unused outlet in the master bathroom.

For the power back alarm I wrapped the sensor wire around one of the feed lines and tie wrapped both ends. I notched the sheetrock on the side of my panel and left the middle fastener a little loose to allow the wires to the unit to pass to one side. The alarm box has a magnetic back so after putting the panel cover back on I just had to stick it on the cover. Now I just have to remember to turn it on when I use the generator.

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

Thanks to all that provided helpful suggestions.

jamawieb

I'm glad they updated the reliance power restore box. When I bought mine 5yrs ago, you had a 90 degree bracket that it was mounted on. Stupid design. I like the updated magnetic!

csheath

Had a 3 hour outage last night and both alarms worked as designed.

This was the third outage since getting the generator set up in January. It sure is nice having a set that runs our well and AC along with all the other comforts.

Another Ahab

Had a 3 hour outage last night and both alarms worked as designed.

This was the third outage since getting the generator set up in January. It sure is nice having a set that runs our well and AC along with all the other comforts.
Third in 5 months?!

What's going on in FL, thunderstorms knocking out transformers or something?

csheath

We have had a rash of oak trees falling. I've had two on the property behind me fall on my fence and 3 more on that property fell the oposit direction.

One went down on the line 4 miles down the road last night. I am surprised it knocked out as many houses as it did. Power company said 571 homes.

Chainbreaker

Been meaning to install one of these for a while. Now you've inspired me to pull the trigger and buy one!

Conveniently, next weekend our power company has a scheduled 7 hr substation pwr outage for maintenance. That should be a good time to install while power is out and will be a good functionality test when pwr is restored.

csheath

Had several short outages today and the power back alarm failed on the last one. So far I can't find the receipt or proof of purchase so I may just have to eat it. Glad it didn't cost a lot.

Katahdin

I installed one a couple years ago, but haven't had a long enough outage to take advantage of it.

There is a battery in there, don't forget to change it, like a smoke detector. Maybe a weak battery caused it not to work on the last outage.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed one a couple years ago, but haven't had a long enough outage to take advantage of it.

There is a battery in there, don't forget to change it, like a smoke detector. Maybe a weak battery caused it not to work on the last outage.
The bane of modern convenience. I intend on putting the batteries into the unit (after initial testing of course) only when the power is down, and otherwise storing them near the unit. I hate finding corroded batteries and a ruined device, no matter the price point.

coxju04

I went with a small LED light, that I installed in my transfer panel, for the simple fact that I didn't want to mess with batteries. I really don't do good with batteries because I will forget about them. I do like that unit, the you all got. I didn't know they made anything like that.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 10c fix...
I have a small gauge extension lead connected to a small window "candle" lamp holder with a red painted night light that hangs near the basement door. When the power goes out and I hook up the genny, I hang two short bare wire hooks - with insulated connection to the extension lead, on either leg post of the incoming supply - before the main breaker.
Red light on - power back on. Disconnect genny, flip main breaker, lift off lamp extension 'hooks'.

csheath

Battery should be okay but going to check it today. Alarm was sounding when I turned the alarm on and power was off.

Triple Jim

There's also a sensitivity adjustment pot inside the unit. I adjusted mine a little to get it to be reliable. It's been a couple years, but as I remember, with the power on, I turned it until it just screeched, and then a little farther. Hearing protection required!

csheath

There's also a sensitivity adjustment pot inside the unit. I adjusted mine a little to get it to be reliable. It's been a couple years, but as I remember, with the power on, I turned it until it just screeched, and then a little farther. Hearing protection required!
They welded the adjustment on mine. Looks like they touched it with a plastic melting tip to prevent adjustment by HO.

kc5mzd

If you have a transfer switch there are wires going to the main line inside it. I would start there when looking for wires that are always hot when the utility power is working.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks