• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20kw Generator - Drash / Applied trailer battery question

therooster2001

I am getting my generator trailer on Sunday, but it's doesn't have batteries. Previous auction pics show Optima red tops. Besides those, anyone recommend a good replacement (two obviously). I want to make sure I know how many CCA and a good fit in the compartment and ability to be secured. Thinking group 31's, reds are a little too rich for me at full price. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poccur

Depending on the model of gen you have, you may need the 4 post batteries...the HDT uses all four posts of the Optima RED...and the metal battery trays will limit what batteries you can use also...
Applied and DRASH are not the same...do you have any model information on the gen trailer?

csheath

If you want a standard type inexpensive battery you might can use a Value Power group 26 from wally world. Size is (L x W x H) 6.80 x 8.20 x 7.80 Inches. They are 525 CCA. Price at my location is $50 plus core and gov fees. Two of em spin my 803A just fine.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Takes a pair of any batts with post top. Dosnt take much to start them. There is an onboard trickle charger with regular plug under the control panel. Completely drain the fuel tank and replace the fuel and oil filters. Napa 3316 is the fuel filter. Most of these have water in the fuel tank I have no idea why. Alot of the fuel lines are dry rotted get some regular fuel line most of it is just cut to size. Has a hand prime bulb and a bleeder nut on the right side of ip.

therooster2001

Well, I scored two Optima's refurbished for $70 each OTD, they checked out at 800 CCA, so I think I'm good now. Auction pict only had one side of the engine battery shown missing, the other was not revealed, so I might actually have one in there. Will, good to know on the water in the fuel, and the bleeder nut. I got the Perkins filters, Oil, fuel, and air, so I will be busy before I fire it up. Filters say 2016 on them so that's a good indication. Driver is coming early, so Saturday will be the big day! Thanks all.

armyrino

I have several of the Applied trailers. I use a standard group 24 battery with the dual post types and they work great. I also have all the filter numbers and belt numbers if you need them.

armyrino

Make sure you drain everything before starting. I have received 3 of these units with water on the fuel tanks and the coolant drained. The ECU unit will have no Freon in it. The best Freon to use is the NU22 it is a direct drop in replacement for both R22 and 407a. I am EPA licensed and certified master HVAC tech so I can do it myself. But if you have to pay someone don't let the tech tell you have to pay for the r22 . Most charge $100 plus per pound. And these unit hold 12 pounds. The NU22 is only $180for a 25pound bottle. If you need anything feel free to contact me. I know these units pretty well now.

therooster2001

My unit came in with the fluids partially drained. Oil was at about 1/3, coolant drained, and fuel registered 1/8, but no pressure at the prime. I have not fired up the AC yet or hooked up gauges to see if there is a partial charge, but it's probably gone. Mine is a Nordic Air and data plated to have 407c in it, so will go that route. I am not an HVAC tech but help run our equipment at the bakery, so will probably charge it myself. Getting gauges and a new bottle off EBay. Will posted some manuals but mine is a bit different, so I'll probably hit you up just to triple check. Different refrigerant, difference in sight glass, etc.

The trailers is really nice, the filters were 2016 labeled and clean, but changed out oil filter anyway. Waiting for another tank full to be run before changing the fuel filter out. It also had pink coolant, so I used a fleet charged one. So far the only issue (it ran for 10 min, before I had to put it away) is a bit of rusty bolts on top, which I changed out, a cloudy gen panel , which had a stubborn sticker which I couldn't get off without ruining it, and a TBD AC, and just muddy and mossy green (it was from NC). I haven't checked brake fluid but the hand brakes don't hold much, so I will also get after those too.

therooster2001

Thanks Will, can you send over or upload in the same spot?

Jon, since you graciously volunteered. What state do they usually leave these AC units? Drained or full of nitrogen? Do you think I need to vacuum pump it before I try and charge? The TM says do this 3 times if drained.

armyrino

All the units i have purchased came drained without nitrogen as well. However you should always vacume down the system for at least 30 to 45 min. Check to make sure vacume holds. And continue vacuum for another 30 min. Then charge to proper levels. I recommend charging using sub cool and super heat method but you can also charge by scale to factory specs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks