• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20kw Generator - Drash / Applied trailer battery question

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have found a lot of the r22 units come on fine but then fault because the condenser fan does not kick on. I usually jump the relay trigger off the compressor trigger so the condenser fan is on when the compressor is on.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Good to know and will pass it on to the tech. Getting a friend of a friend deal for bringing back a MEP803a from NC for my neighbor.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Massively BIG THANKS to Will (Suprman) for helping out today.

The AC guy showed up today to add the R22. Turned out the system had been screwed with for turn-in. We had some issues and Will got the AC guy walked through it.

Bad day for him to show up....so hot the devil ran off at sunrise. AC guy was working on it for several hours before I knew he was here. He wasn't a happy camper. Will waslked us through some stuff and we now have a likely course of action.

BTW, hurricane between the Cape Verde Islands and the Lesser Antilles-----just sayin'. Spousal unit says we will NOT be without power or AC again.

Thanks again Will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

therooster2001

Would love to know the guts of what the issue was. I was lucky and had Jon walk me through a non-eventful fill of 407c. Will rocks too. I do light refrigeration stuff at my bakery so it's always helpful to walk it through. Once you get it running, be prepared for the ice cubes it puts out. It's seriously cold...

https://youtu.be/YHNNq7MomaU

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
We couldn't get the compressor to unload. It was by-passed and there is also a hole in the holding tank. AC guy stated the tank is only necessary at high altitudes so I think I'm ok at 30' ASL. I will eventually look at total replacement and it was recommended to put a remote thermostat and/or adjuster in place. The system is juryrigged to blow AC and I used it in the garage. We've had heat conditions of about 115' and the humidity has been oppressive. It works but considering the garage is open eve and not insulated, it is not ice cube city. I will say that I went from sweating and having to take long breaks to working for four hours straight without breaking a sweat. Then the fan belt broke. High temp shut off saved the system. I got a new belt today and I'd have to say they couldn't have made changing a fan belt any harder. The cowling around the fan has a hidden screw that you can't access. So you literally slice up your hands getting that belt into that tiny hand space. Got it done. Temp is holding at 180 again. I'm still concerned about the AC and would like to get a second system to try and bring this one back up to FMC. I also have a requirement for a second generator that will be converted to 220v 1ph. Hurricane season is upon us so most stuff will have to wait until after mid-Oct. Then at that point, ole CARNAC might potentially possibly maybe heading on a long trip to a place where it's 30 minutes behind anyone and everyone no matter what time zone you're in. That will depend on what happens at work.

GAPRIME

I am getting my generator trailer on Sunday, but it's doesn't have batteries. Previous auction pics show Optima red tops. Besides those, anyone recommend a good replacement (two obviously). I want to make sure I know how many CCA and a good fit in the compartment and ability to be secured. Thinking group 31's, reds are a little too rich for me at full price. Thoughts?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
I saw your post about your DRASH GENSET. What's the specification of the generator set? Is it 20KW? I am thinking of getting one but 35kW is a bit too much for me. Do they have small sized units?
Thanks for your help

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi
I saw your post about your DRASH GENSET. What's the specification of the generator set? Is it 20KW? I am thinking of getting one but 35kW is a bit too much for me. Do they have small sized units?
Thanks for your help
They come in a couple of sizes. The smaller one is 23kW and 3 phase. It uses about a gallon an hour of fuel whether mildly loaded or running full load. I have one and use it for primary power for offgrid property as well as a power source for welding and plasma cutting. I'm accessing it as 120v single phase, 208v single phase, and 208v 3phase, all at the same time...

It's nice and quiet and smooth. I got it as an impulse buy and I'm very glad I did.

GAPRIME

They come in a couple of sizes. The smaller one is 23kW and 3 phase. It uses about a gallon an hour of fuel whether mildly loaded or running full load. I have one and use it for primary power for offgrid property as well as a power source for welding and plasma cutting. I'm accessing it as 120v single phase, 208v single phase, and 208v 3phase, all at the same time...

It's nice and quiet and smooth. I got it as an impulse buy and I'm very glad I did.
Thank you for your quick reply. Happy it is working out for you and that sounds like the size for me and the consumption reasonable - would love to see picture if you have some on hand.

How do you use it for welding and plasma cutting? Running a welder off the single phase?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for your quick reply. Happy it is working out for you and that sounds like the size for me and the consumption reasonable - would love to see picture if you have some on hand.

How do you use it for welding and plasma cutting? Running a welder off the single phase?
The J1 port is 60 Amps of 208v 3phase. I run that to a PD box that splits it into 120v single phase and also has a pass through for another J1 connector. I wired up an adapter that grabs 2 of the 3 legs from that port and supplies 208v single phase. I plug the welder or plasma cutter into that.

The plasma cutter is 50 amps at 240v wide open. It's never hiccupped feeding it 208v. The welder is a Millermatic 200 and can run on various input voltages. The hottest I've gone feeding it from this genset is 200 Amps welding 1/2" steel plate with 7018 rod. No issues.

All while running an RV and air compressor.

Pics in a moment...

20181005_145025.jpg

20181005_144204.jpg

Screenshot_20190119-001705_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2018-05-17-08-06-52(1).jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks