• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Free craigslist fuel preparation

st8drumz

So, fuel experts out there, here is the order of operations so far on 250+ gallons of free fuel oil off of craigslist (10+ years old),

-pumped (unfliltered) out of original tank leaving the bottom 5-10 gallons of sludge/water(?) (opened the petcock until dark fuel oil was coming out before pumping) into transfer tank
-pumped out of transfer tank with water block/filter into 250 gal storage tank

if I then pump out of the storage tank with a clean, fresh filter/water separator into the truck (or jerry can) and treat with Pri-D ( http://priproducts.com/ ) and possibly Sea Foam = ok to use?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long has it been sitting since you got it?
I would still plan on keeping extra fuel filters in the truck with you.

someoldmoose

Will it work, yes. How well ? Depends how long it's been sitting around. Mix it with some "pump fresh" and you should be OK. I always keep extra filters in the vehicle. Cheap insurance.

st8drumz

Kind of reddish brown. while I was pumping it through the clear hose, it looked like Sam Addams beer, maybe not quite as opaque or dark. thoughts? I can't imagine it would be any worse than WMO that people use, especially with filtering twice and using additive. Or am I wrong?

someoldmoose

Yessss, 250 gallons of free . . . oh wait, it just LOOKS like beer. Like I said above, if ya mix it with some new stuff, even 50/50 ya still lower yer fuel cost. The new will have plenty of algicide for what yer doing. I have used "old" heating oil many times. Just be aware that "the man" still sees it as untaxed fuel. Like when I have never used distillates from another source to run an engine. Dang revenuers. Roll coal ! :clinto:

Last edited:

Beyond Biodiesel

It sounds like pretty good waste diesel fuel. It just so happens that gasoline is an excellent biocide, and it forces water out of solution, so if you added fresh gasoline at only 5%, preferably to the bottom of your storage tank, before adding the waste, or old, diesel fuel, then the gasoline, being lighter, would work its way up through your old diesel fuel; and, if you left it to sit for at least 2 weeks, then you are likely to find more dark stuff at the bottom of the tank, which you can drain off, then just run it through a water trapping filter, not water blocking.

There is a difference between water trapping filters, not water blocking filters.

Water trapping filters actually trap the water, and other sediments, at the bottom of the filter, and there is a drain on that filter, so that the water and other sediments can be drained off.

Whereas, Water blocking filters rely upon a water absorbing substance, like silica gel, which does a great job of extracting water from diesel fuel, only until the water absorbing substance is saturated. After that, no more blocking. And, water blocking filters do nothing to remove sediments.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks