• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fording Kit

MilitaryRestoration

I looked up the pictures in the tm of the original/correct Deep Water Fording kit but the pictures dont help at all... Does anyone have one installed on their truck and could take pictures of how the intake is plum'd? Or know where I could go via 'www.' to see pictures of a true original set up? Thank You

FreightTrain

Banned
I don't have a picture but I do have a kit(not installed and not boxed).But basically,a big rubber tube hooked to the intake can where the shroom was at and goes up the stack via 2 brackets with a new shroom on top.Then a smaller hose goes from the slobber tube.not exactly sure where you route it since there is no room though teh side panel.It goes between the stack and the intake snorkle though the 2 brackets to under the shroom.Then there is another even smaller hose that runs over the top of the engine.Hooks to the intake of the compressor to the small nipple on the rear of the filter can.Pretty much it under hte hood.The only other parts was a tube of battery slime to waterproof it and a bunch of air fittings so you could hook into a hot air line and regulate it down to 2 or 3 PSI and feed it into the top of the bell housing via a switch next to the front axle switch.I also think there was a check valve that installs between the tanks so if you suck one dry with the bellhousing line it will still have air in the other tank.

CliffW

Re: RE: Fording Kit

FreightTrain said:
I don't have a picture but I do have a kit(not installed and not boxed).But basically,a big rubber tube hooked to the intake can where the shroom was at and goes up the stack via 2 brackets with a new shroom on top.Then a smaller hose goes from the slobber tube.not exactly sure where you route it since there is no room though teh side panel.It goes between the stack and the intake snorkle though the 2 brackets to under the shroom.Then there is another even smaller hose that runs over the top of the engine.Hooks to the intake of the compressor to the small nipple on the rear of the filter can.Pretty much it under hte hood.The only other parts was a tube of battery slime to waterproof it and a bunch of air fittings so you could hook into a hot air line and regulate it down to 2 or 3 PSI and feed it into the top of the bell housing via a switch next to the front axle switch.I also think there was a check valve that installs between the tanks so if you suck one dry with the bellhousing line it will still have air in the other tank.
Do you want to sale the kit if so send me a PM.
cliff

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Re: RE: Fording Kit

Heck no_Only reason it ain't installed is I am rebuilding the engine on the truck.It is going back on.I would make a suggestion for anyone installing a kit.Go lower than the stack unlike the picture.Cause it sucks the exhaust back in when idling or stop and go traffic clogging the air filter.I watched it one day.Looked like a backdraft.Puff of smoke and slurp got sucked up.Big version of a EGR.

Rattlehead

On the slobber tube, I would be afraid that condensation and oil vapors would collect at the low spot on the tube and eventually create a plug?

FreightTrain

Banned
With the above worry,Just add a small check valve or something to the bottom of the extended slobber tube.Chevy had a cool little valve on the old 80s and early 90s Z24.Was nothing more than a thin soft rubber hose that was formed flat at the bottom.The water would collect in the cowl induction hood and drain out the hose.When suction from a running engine would suck closed.Pretty smart design.Simple and worked!You could also just add a ball valve and T fitting.Leave it open all the time unless you decide to play submarine and close it off(maybe an air powered valve to work off the bellhousing line?).

joec

What size is the pipe? 4" ...5" i can get pipe bent up to 5" i'm thinkin i like it.. :beer:

blowbye tube is pretty easy...put a rad drain in the elbow of that and drain once a week or so. weld a bung in it

I;m gonna research it.. ffriend of mine works at motorpool at FT.Dix

FreightTrain

Banned
All the pipes are rubber except the air lines that are copper.I will get some measurements tomorrow.But basically,the intake tube is hte same ID as the OD of the filter cans nipple coming out the side pannel.

FreightTrain

Banned
How often do you think you would need to take a deuce and a half underwater?Doubt many were made!Plus,I bet they ain't surplused them out yet other than the handful that are out there like mine.

CliffW

Re: RE: Re: RE: Fording Kit

MilitaryRestoration said:
come on cliff...i'm trying to get it :) thats why i posted
MilitaryRestoration
I’m sorry about that brother I was not trying to get one over on you. :( The way I read the post you were looking for pic’s of the install.

Cliff

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
FreightTrain said:
How often do you think you would need to take a deuce and a half underwater?Doubt many were made!Plus,I bet they ain't surplused them out yet other than the handful that are out there like mine.
im kind of surprised that all the trucks didnt come stock with the fording kits and a winch. if i was designing a combat vehicle i would have added that stuff for a "just incase" situation. i know one thing, there has been plenty of times i have had my truck out and not planned on using the winch and if i didnt have it someone with a tow truck would have had all my winch buyin money :lol:

CliffW

MUDLORD said:
FreightTrain said:
im kind of surprised that all the trucks didnt come stock with the fording kits and a winch. if i was designing a combat vehicle i would have added that stuff for a "just incase" situation.
:ditto:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks