• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV M1079 M1078 ARB air locker group buy, we need 50 of you to make this happen.

Plasa

Sorry, me again... :)
Does it work without changing the original axles? In Europe everything is regulated by the goverments, and if you change something on the suspension / transmission you need to redo all the certification....
Thanks and regards from Italy!

Christian

m37charlie

Sorry, me again... :)
Does it work without changing the original axles? In Europe everything is regulated by the goverments, and if you change something on the suspension / transmission you need to redo all the certification....
Thanks and regards from Italy!

Christian
The only external difference will be a thin air line going to the differential housing, otherwise the axle will be identical. I doubt a Ministry of Transport inspector will even know it is an aftermarket diff lock, all European military vehicles that are worth anything have them from the factory. It is really quite shocking that the FMTV did NOT come with them!
Which part of Italy are you from? I was in Venezia Mestre/Veneto with my Unimog camper in June.

Charlie

Last edited:

Plasa

Hello Charlie.
I live in the north of Italy, in the middle of the Dolomites, near Bolzano. About 300 km from Venice. I bought a M1078 a couple of weeks ago, now waiting for inspection. Italy is a nightmare for trucks. I bought mine in Germany, trying to convert it to a motorhome...
I know it's far early to discuss, and I'm a complete greenhorn about this type of truck. Do I need to change the axle ratio between front and rear? I think my truck is quite default, without modifications. And I don't want to start my adventure by changing half of the transmission :)
If it's quite easy to install the arb locker than I will take 1, otherwise if it's necessary to change axle ratio, or the hole axle than I will let it be...
Thanks and sorry for my bad english...
Christian

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I sure don't want to be the nay-sayer on this group buy, however, having been involved in them before, someone is going to get screwed. If you compare the small number of interested parties on here to the required 50 units to get the build done, the numbers just do not add up. Many will be 'interested' until time to send the cash, then the organizer is stuck with the shortfall. Been there, done that.

Mister Organizer, just watch your wallet!
Yup, I ran that AVM locking hub group buy. Thankfully we got through it without anyone getting affected negatively.

Who's going to be holding the money? How is transparency being provided? (I did a spreadsheet on google docs with who was in and what they paid) Who's on the hook when things go south?

Plasa

Hello again.
If changing the diff to the arb locker is done without changing front/rear axle ratio and/or other heavy stuff I will order 1....

Thanks and send me a pn for payment details...

Christian

If we can actually get 50 lockers spoken for here then Carl at Nitro Gear and Axle would handle everything, I am just doing the foot work so we can get ARB to produce the parts we need, I spoke with ARB and they will design and manufacture the lockers just for us, but we need 50 lockers to make it happen, This all will be ran through Nitro Gear as ARB will only work with one of their official ARB dealers, Carl has the resources to get all of this handled properly.

I hope that answers everyones questions
Cheers Seth

Yup, I ran that AVM locking hub group buy. Thankfully we got through it without anyone getting affected negatively.

Who's going to be holding the money? How is transparency being provided? (I did a spreadsheet on google docs with who was in and what they paid) Who's on the hook when things go south?

yes you can install locker with out changing gear ratio, everything is heavy in these trucks

Seth

Hello again.
If changing the diff to the arb locker is done without changing front/rear axle ratio and/or other heavy stuff I will order 1....

Thanks and send me a pn for payment details...

Christian

Aernan

I have an ear mark on a rear soft locker. If the ARB becomes available I may move it to the front and get a rear solid locker. Depends on offroad experience. Maybe I will just go full front and rear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks