• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU fuel issues

peakbagger

The gizmo is a differential pressure transmitter for the STE/ICE diagnostic system. Unless you have the STE/ICE reader, its worthless unless you want to monitor pressure drop across the fuel filter and want to set up a custom interface to be able to the read it.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, it's looking better for the Summer SEE.
Checked the strainer and there was very little black crap in the bowl. Pulled the drain plug on the tank, and while the hollow part of the plug was full of crap, that was about it - no noticeable debris in the fuel that came out. Looks like Bio-Bor and the frequent strainer cleanings are starting to pay off.

For what it's worth, peakbagger, I don't bleed the filters after cleaning out the strainer. I see no need to.
By stopping the engine before it runs out of fuel, which is easy enough since it gives plenty of warning, the only air introduced into the system is what the strainer holds. That's maybe 4-5 cc.

I used to fill the strainer with additive from a bottle, which was the easiest, and bleed. Then I noticed that the times I didn't have the wrench to bleed with, it made no difference, so I stopped doing the bleeding procedure.
Then there were times when I didn't have the additive and just put the empty strainer cup back on. Again, other than a barely noticeable hesitation after a while, as that small amount of air had made its way up to the pump, it ran just fine.

I'd guess that the constant air supply from the leaks in the lines that this SEE used to have was far worse for the pump than getting an occasional dose of air from the strainer.

Of course, trying to start with a system that's full of air, without priming and bleeding, would explain why General Hood sold his starters so quickly.

LZahariev

Update on my fuel system issues. I replaced the filter assembly and filter strainer assuming that would solve my fuel problem. I was wrong. The Mog was still not starting. After setting up a temporary fuel cell to feed the prime pump, I realized it was not moving fuel at all. I removed the pump and disassembled it completely. It was also full of the brown sticky gunk. I cleaned it completely, reassembled it trying to keep both float valves and plunger free of dirt. After remounting the pump on the Bosch injection pump, a quick prime, and the truck started almost immediately. The beast is back!! I learned that the prime pump is sensitive to small debris. If anything gets stuck in the pump and prevents the small plastic float valves from creating a tight seal, the pump does not function at all. Troubleshooting and cleaning is very simple after you experience the issue first hand. Hope this helps other people fighting fuel issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks