• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are hydraulic winches hard to come by?

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would use a jib a lot more than a front or rear. The pockets for the corner crane through the bed could be mounts. There would be no twisting that I can imagine.
Yeah that's an interesting idea, and you wouldn't need the 24v electric winch/hoist. I was just thinking of twist from rotating the crane around, but as long as you didn't go in circles it should be pretty minimal.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah that's an interesting idea, and you wouldn't need the 24v electric winch/hoist. I was just thinking of twist from rotating the crane around, but as long as you didn't go in circles it should be pretty minimal.
I was thinking of four tubes or two back tubes and cable for top link, no swivel. It's a straight line thing but does what I need most, lift things vertical and carries them. It might be cool to have a hydraulic boom top link for boom raising and lowering or some other means. Or keep it all light and stow-able, if that is possible. Just throwing some ideas out that I've had for my deuce. (I recently purchased a LMTV bed....in picture)

Attachments

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The idea I had was to mount a series 18 on a 3/4" plate with a 2 to 3" center bolt. The winch cable height from the plate is 1.5 to 3.5" from the bottom of the drum. I would expect that the hydraulic spool is at least 3" on center away from the frame so there should be no difference to deal with with cable routing. To rotate the winch so it would work either front or rear would require approx 29" of room on the side of the frame. If it is only used front or rear it would only require about 10". I do have shorter series 18's that are around 26". I made a mount like a lazy susan for these winches to go on a flatbed truck to pull logs in any direction. I wish I had a truck for for 10 minutes just to get the mounting area drawn up. This way you don't have to fabricate a bumper mount for a front winch. These cable guides are nice for going thru a floor, bumpers or large cross members roller_guide_5192E617-BB88-8D22-45D99482915BE9E5.jpeg

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The idea I had was to mount a series 18 on a 3/4" plate with a 2 to 3" center bolt. The winch cable height from the plate is 1.5 to 3.5" from the bottom of the drum. I would expect that the hydraulic spool is at least 3" on center away from the frame so there should be no difference to deal with with cable routing. To rotate the winch so it would work either front or rear would require approx 29" of room on the side of the frame. If it is only used front or rear it would only require about 10". I do have shorter series 18's that are around 26". I made a mount like a lazy susan for these winches to go on a flatbed truck to pull logs in any direction. I wish I had a truck for for 10 minutes just to get the mounting area drawn up. This way you don't have to fabricate a bumper mount for a front winch. These cable guides are nice for going thru a floor, bumpers or large cross members View attachment 691709
What if you removed the cross bars from the winch and made your own mount to give more clearance to the winch cable/drum? Then you could hard mount the winch and just have enough space above and below the drum to route the cable out either side. If you did that you could possibly mount the winch vertically and it wouldn't stick out as far either. Does that make sense?

coachgeo

What if you removed the cross bars from the winch and made your own mount to give more clearance to the winch cable/drum? Then you could hard mount the winch and just have enough space above and below the drum to route the cable out either side. If you did that you could possibly mount the winch vertically and it wouldn't stick out as far either. Does that make sense?
You mean whole winch verticle? did some searching on that and only mention I found was that someone with past experience in something similar found that the cable tended to bunch at the low side.

Also old Sidewinder winch was mentioned but apparently they do not exist anymore.

Here is a thread discussing center mounted winches. Our own TennMogger discusses how he did it on one of his mogs. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/62520-The-center-mounted-winch-thread/page2?highlight=ibex

Wonder if one could just us an Elec. winch to drive the OEM winch set up?

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will remove the front bumper, make a frame extension to mount one vertical on my 5 ton and see how it behaves. I would hope that the cable tensioner would eliminate or reduce bunching. I should have done this before I started asking about where to mount it.

coachgeo

I will remove the front bumper, make a frame extension to mount one vertical on my 5 ton and see how it behaves. I would hope that the cable tensioner would eliminate or reduce bunching. I should have done this before I started asking about where to mount it.
assuming your winch is mounted like most winches (at what is typically called the front) your direction of pull must be toward those bolts according to what I've read in various places. Otherwise your putting forces thru the bolts in ways not intended. Bolts are only there to hold the winch in it's location. They do not take much of any forces while winching.

Cable Tensioner? What winch are you using? Many do not have a cable tensioner or guide

Last edited:

ramdough

the trans in nutrural is just a wire you hook up on the tcm as an option ive been through this before on commercial allisons I have a fleet of fuel trucks the up fitter didn't use this option on they will go into gear with the pto engaged. because they are air shift there is a brake interlock added so the trivers cant drive away with the pump running.
Are you saying there is a wire that can be grounded or powered that would allow the pto to engage while not in neutral?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

coachgeo

Did you ever do this?

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never got around to buying or finding someone with a truck to work with me. Just knowing what I do know about these winches a feet forward mount is the best. I have had customers break the winch casting by not having equal pressure on the mounting bolts thus cracking the casting. I have thought about mounting the winch under the frame and using the guts from 2 snatch blocks to direct the cables to the front or rear of the truck. If anyone with a truck near Greenville SC wants me to work on this just let me know. I am pretty sure I can fabricate just about anything that can direct the cables.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks