• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M872 34 ton trailer "quality deficiency"???

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone got the straight scoop on this? Looks like A2 and A3 trailers. I ask because Uncle has already sold a bunch of these and DOZENS are in use here at the Port of Houston area hauling 30 ton coils of steel.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They had some lined up at Ft Bragg, and when I looked at them I didn't see anything in the 30 seconds I had, but the DLA rep stated that they had "non repairable" cracks in the main frame

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Louisiana Federal surplus has one listed available to agencies and I have seen some parked at local armories. You would think if is a manufacture defect, someone would be stuck with quite a bill especially with Uncle's resources.....

My opinion is just that it is a quick way to get rid of them as scrap than deal with them......and the difference in GL/GP contracts.

camo173

the way i understand it there is always a riff between GL and gov planet on "whose surplus is it"...if it has wheels, it usually goes to gov planet...scrap is the largest part of GL's $$...my guess is GL turned-coded rolling stock into scrap,and kept the money in house...if you have ever seen perfectly good surplus ,that other post sell, in another posts scrap pile,it would back up my theory

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think my original opinion was off base as I have seen many listings since of these trailers being scrapped in bulk nation wide. Safety recall. I remember another thread id the problem with the style of frame? Can't recall the details but there is a thread here on it.

Here in La, They have been collected at several bases and there is a scrap sale close to me here in New Orleans that I have never seen on GL/Gp listings ever at a National Guard Armory.

But on the flip side, There has been many scrap sales at Pineville of other ify GL/GP contract stuff...5 tons, deuces, cucv, trailers,forklifts......

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Double framed trailer. The interior frame quality either wasnt good or wasn't properly treated to keep from rusting. After years of sitting and use the interior frame was rusting apart . Loads on the trailer would then snap them in half.

At RRAD they are destroyed on site and will not be making their way to the GL yard to be sold as scrap.

There are approx 2100 872A4s in service.

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SOUM #17-001

a. Summary of Problem: TACOM has inspected the M872 fleet World Wide
and found severe corrosion, qualifying identified M872 trailers as
NMC.

b. Expected results if failure occurs: Excessive corrosion can
compromise the structural integrity of the trailer in critical areas
such as the king-pin, suspension, or load-carrying cross members.
Using trailers with corrosion in these critical areas could result in
structural failure of the trailer leading to a vehicular accident.

a. To expedite the turn in process and reduce the workload on units,
ASC has provided a bulk disposition process to dispose of CC "H "and
"P" trailers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks