• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Timing, EGT's and boost

MAdams

I took my 931A2 out for a drive today for the 1st time after some recent mods. I have the pre boost screw turned out 1 turn, the gov springs tightened 3 clicks and yesterday I advanced the IP timing to 14 degrees. The way I advanced the pump was probably not the correct way. I installed the engine timing pin and pump pin, loosened the IP shaft nut and slide the pump back off the taper, then removed the engine pin and with a ratchet turned the motor over 6 degrees using some timing tape as reference. I tightened the IP shaft nut, removed the IP timing pin and fired it up.

The truck ran good but seems to have a little less power now and I am wondering if when I turned the motor over 6 degrees, if I went the wrong way. How bad would the motor run with only 2 degrees of timing?

Also, just for info. This is the 1st trip with a boost and egt gauge. At full throttle I am seeing 21psi and the highest egt's are 1,050 degrees on a 2% grade going 60 mph.

BTW where I located the gauges looks good but you really cant see then while driving.
2017-05-21 20.06.39.jpg

Ford Mechanic

Just for comparison, my gov is up 3 clicks, pre boost is adjusted some, and the rate screw is adjusted some. I'm hiring 25 psi boost and letting out at 1150*F on EGT.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

74M35A2

As long as you turned the engine backwards, then it should be advanced. It will not be fully 6 degrees advanced unless you went past the 6 say to 10, and then forward back to the 6 mark. This takes the slop out of the gears.

Do you remember which way you turned the engine to change it, vs direction of rotation when running?

Hat's off to you for making a go at it. Can always go back to both pin timing method to restore and/or start again.

Last edited:

MAdams

Thanks. That's one of the reasons I attempted this, because I knew I could easily go back to the stock 8 degrees. To be honest I cannot remember which way I rotated the motor. I should have been more careful but I was in a rush. Looking back, I had a 50/50 shot of being correct. lol

I can't imagine the motor running well at 2 degrees but I guess I will find out soon. I am going to line up the IP timing pin and pull the engine pin and see if its before or after the sight window

grendel

The truck will run fine at 2 degrees. It won't make power and it should smoke like a lot lizard at a chimney factory... but it will run.

aziator

Just for comparison, my gov is up 3 clicks, pre boost is adjusted some, and the rate screw is adjusted some. I'm hiring 25 psi boost and letting out at 1150*F on EGT.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
That is where I am at, except I changed the gov springs for the 3K ones. I see 25 PSI with an occasional 28-30. I get out of it around the same time.

MAdams

Stock boost is probably somewhere around 15-18. The only way to increase boost is to increase fuel delivery aka turning up the pump. These trucks don't have a wastegate so fuel flow is the only method.

Mos68x

Stock boost is probably somewhere around 15-18. The only way to increase boost is to increase fuel delivery aka turning up the pump. These trucks don't have a wastegate so fuel flow is the only method.
Thanks for that info, I was wondering how to turn up the boost. I can't wait to get my EGT and Boost gauges in on wed, too bad it'll have to wait until the weekend to install them though.

Mos68x

I ordered mine from TMG, bit pricey but not any different than any other kit price, I just wanted the digital look instead of the analog.

74M35A2

Where is the best place to get the EGT and Boost Gauge setup?

Up to you to decide the look and functionality you want. Digital is clear and does not bounce, but with analog you get a better feel of the change rate (how fast it is increasing). Easier to put a warning buzzer on a digital one if you don't think you will watch it closely after turning your injection pump up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks