• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allbright contactor control for 24 v winch

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Warn 24v Industrial Series 18 winch without the control pack and wired remote controller. The packs seem to be about $434 and the control $137.

Im thinking about going a different route. I see there are a lot of guys who buy these Allbright contactors. Anyone here ever "hot wire" a winch using this method?

Its basically a solenoid that reverses polarity. I can find them on eBay for $50 or so, but, it sure would be nice to get advice from someone who did this with a big 24v winch before I go throwing wires and solenoids and switches around. Especially since I'm "electrically challenged" ... I do believe that is the PC way of describing my disability.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Does the winch have 2 separate power inputs for forward and reverse or do you just switch polarity to reverse? It can be easily controlled with contactor relays.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not believe it is as simple as switching polarity. It can (and is) controlled by contactor relays. The proper replacement part is a Warn part at $368 (finally found the cheapest one out there!) But A $50-$100 contactor relay should do the same thing. The problem is that, while very mechanically inclined, I am electrically challenged.

I have found a contactor relay on ebay that should do the trick. One is a 24v version that is in the mid $50's and a 48v (that handles 24v) that has a higher amperage service duty rating that is $120 or so.

Another problem. I have 6 of these winches, and while biting the bullet and buying the correct part for one would be ok, for 6 it hurts a lot more. We are putting these in the front and back of 3 trucks.

Anyone with experience with electrical stuff could probably whizz through this problem without too much trouble. I am not that guy!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It probably is as simple as powering it thru relays and reversing polarity. Those things have a high current draw you will need contactor relays rated for the required current at 24v and with the correct duty cycle. Thats why the warn part is so expensive high quality high current contactors are not cheap. You need something that can do 2 poles and 2 separate throws with an off in the middle. Or 2 separate double pole relays.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you start googling this and get into these off-road forums, these guys are replacing their blown out power packs with Albright contactors and never looking back.

I just need the right one! And a very good wiring diagram. Since I have neither the hand heald remote or the power pack, I'll likely buy a remote and a Contactor and start putting a meter on it. I did find the Warn "hotwiring guide" to test if it's your motor or your power pack that has gone bad.

I can use that as a starting point to determine where wires go.

Warn wants $450 for the pack. I have found it for $385 +$100 for the controller.

$485x6 winches = enough for me to try this theory out. At $50-$100 for a contactor, I can afford to go the experimental route on one as long as it all adds up.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this forum that explains it pretty well. The fact that I have a 24v means I need a big 24v contactor that can handle the loads from this winch at full duty. I have found two that I think will work. One handles the amps from the mfg specs, and one clearly handles more amps than the other. Bigger is better right? It's not a fuse, so bigger isn't going to hurt.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...warn-winch-upgrade.html#/topics/130031?page=1

snowtrac nome

unless I'm missing something its not that simple every automotive warn winch I have ever had is a 3 wire hook up one wire is a field wire and the other 2 apply armature power for forward and reverse. than you have the motor ground

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You aren't missing anything. You are correct. The solenoid isn't that simple. Warn used four of them and recently started having Albright manufacture their control packs. Now that I look there are a ton of YouTube videos with schematics and wiring diagrams.
IMG_8740.jpgIMG_8744.jpgIMG_8745.jpg
These came from screenshots of a YouTube video. The pictures came from guys on ih8mud and pirate4x4 if I heard correctly. What I am trying to do is standard practice with a lot of these guys. Once you read Warns diagram on how to Hotwire a winch, these photos make more sense.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll need to use 2 or bigger wire, which makes it hard to put the solenoid on the winch, so I may mount it either in the engine compartment or in the cab. The rear one, probably just above it under the bed.

Truth is, I need to get my hands on it and see what's practical.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I found the real deal.these guys in the U.K. Were the first to start using these, if the Internet forums are correct, and lots of guys here in the states were buying them from the U.K. And upgrading or fixing their Warn winches because of yearly failures of their control packs. Once they started using the Albright brand solenoid, they seemed to last forever. Lots of stories of factory Warn power packs failing, couldn't find a story about these Albright replacements failing. Worst case I order from them, I'll look for a US supplier first.

http://gigglepin4x4.net/24v-albright-super-duty-solenoid-429-p.asp

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realize this has mostly been a conversation with myself, but thanks to snowtrac and suprman for pitching in!

For those in my position, looking to replace the power packs on a 12 or 24 v Warn, or Smittybilt, or milemarker, these are the real deal and what I am about to buy .. or 6 of what I am about to buy.

https://www.sherpa4x4.com.au/products/albright-winch-solenoid-dc88p
http://gigglepin4x4.net/24v-albright-super-duty-solenoid-429-p.asp

specs
http://www.albrightinternational.co...Catalogue-Sheet-v2-01-17-Electronic-Issue.pdf

As always, I will report on my findings. If it worked or not.

Fyi, these are auction winches. So the military also must not have trusted the factory Power packs or the factory ones were broken, so they auctioned these off. ... or the winches will be DOA.

Lets hope for option #1.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks