• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

US Unimog inventory

peakbagger

The person I bought my 1300L has been out and about for awhile (and still on the road) I caught him in between trips to buy mine and while I was there I was impressed with his inventory but held off posting any pictures. His website was down for a bit due to technical issues but a new version is up again with an interesting main photo

http://www.unimogcenter.com/

The resolution is a bit low in combination with the lighting but one of the dark green ambulances could be my rig (not sure which one) or it may have been taken after I drove mine home. The white one to the right of center was prepped and painted by the German Army for Ebola duty but never was delivered. He is probably going to prep out the remaining ambulances like the white one (with a bump up in price). Unfortunately the blue lights have to come off for road use. I have the alternating European horns but they were disconnected somewhere along the way. He imported the olive green ambulances as they were very late production and have the "good parts" which are a newer style engine (OM366A which is a turbo diesel), fast axle ratios that allow a bit higher top speed, and possibly a newer style gearbox with beefier synchros. The military version also have a circular roof hatch over the passenger seat that swings out of the way and stows and locks open so a gunner can stand on an elevated passenger seat while in operation. Many of the red fire/rescue vehicles are the same engine as SEEs (OM352s), some are standard cabs and some are dual cabs (called DOKAs). The equipment lockers and details on the work boxes are very impressive. Many have winches, water pumps and PTOs (the ambulances don't but could) He has some of his personal vehicles mixed in, one of the DOKAs is his and the Orange one with the plow (complete with tilt bed, sander and deicing tank) is what he uses to keep his driveway open since he lives at the end of dead end road on the side of a mountain. You will note the SEEs on either end. At least one of them looks to be mint and a very late rebuild. I didn't look closely at the other one but expect its in similar shape. These are all roughly the same chassis occasionally with different wheelbase. They are similar vintage as the SEEs. The SEEs are based on the older 406 chassis while the square cabs are based on the 1300 series. The track is wider on the 1300's although many of the portal axles are composed of identical parts as the SEE with the exception of the axle tubes and shafts from the diff to the portal boxes. Most are the same tire size but he does on occasion go up one size 335 to 365s. I expect when he gets back there will be few more additions like a 1300L cargo version and probably a few will move off to good homes.

If you watch the video, you will notice the trucks have quite bit of body twist which is intentional and a Unimog selling point. The cab and box are on flexible frames to allow then to flex independently from the frame. The SEEs are far less flexible as they were stiffened up at the back end to allow the backhoe to be installed.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks