• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Made it rancho cucamonga california to alaska

wilkusmcrecon

I just completed one long recovery. My adventure started on 22 May 2017 outside Rancho Cucamonga, California at Those Military guys shop.They pulled the M9 out and I thought tomyself you just might be in a little over your head.

I did a quick go around and headed out in LA traffic. Its’ only been 30 years since I was in a M8 or Duce and they are no way as big as the M9.My first gas station was a night mare as I could get in but had a hellof time getting out.It took me close to 1 hour before I got to Hwy 5 at least I did not kill anyone in LA, however, there is one pissed off guy in a black mustang who I almost cut in half.

I pushed it hard and was able for the first 1100 miles keep her at 60 and I got around 9 miles a gallon. Temps were up but it was HOT and DRY.I ran her hard averaging about 18 to 20 hours a day on the road.I slept in the cab at rest areas for 2 may be three hours then hit the road for another long ride.

She ran fine with no troubles around 1500 miles everything changed all my temps dropped, I stopped smoking, she smoothed out and I started to see 10 and then 11 mile per gallon where she stayed for the remainder of the trip. I was able to go close to 63 but I kept her at 60 where she seemed to like it.

Do to some attempts at theft in California and Washington State I was not able to use my friends go pro and I put my other friends TOM TOM up for good. I was able to get a lot of vids on my cell phone until I was cut off outside Beaver Canada and I broke my cell phone screen.Working now to recover my vids.

I made the last push just outside St. John and ran her 23hours hard. I kept hearing a weird thumping sound as I passed TOK AK and then a heard a pop just outside Sutton AK which turned out to be the belt.I saw the temp rise and pulled off the road 30 mile short of home as I did not wantto burn anything up being so close.

I got out with no cell and no way to call anyone, and onMemorial Weekend to boot. I was pretty loopy by now and I was having a hard time thinking when a Car pulled up and asked if they could help.They drove me back into town and to a friend’s house.I thanked them and tried to give them some gas money but they just smiled and drove off.

My buddy Russ Boyer dropped everything and helped me get the parts and put her back together. We made a slow drive home as the alternator pully was destroyed.I pulled into home and parked her on 27 May 2017.

To the guy in LA with the black mustang hope you learned not to pass on the right shoulder as I could not see you.I was just assurprised as you I did not cut you in half.

To the guy in Sacramento, California who jumped up and grabbed my chargers F-OFF all you got was the cables and USB jacks. You did not get the cell, TOM TOM or the go pro as they fell off as you pulled down but you did get me for $19.00.One day you will try that I hope the owner catches you and kicks your butt.

To the guy in San Francisco who jumped up and grabbed my ice cold Gatorade I hope you enjoyed it. If you noticed I was laughing at you as you took that deep refreshing drink and flipped me off as you drove past me.I must tell you you were not the first guy to try that that is why I filled that red Gatorade bottle ½ way with warm piss.You made my DAY.

To the two truckers who took some time to give me a few pointers on driving a rig thanks the grades were steep but the way you told me to use my air breaks saved my butt and I agree I do have BALLS much bigger then my brains. I'm a MARINE

To the two DRUNK Canadian oil workers who I help out of the CAB of my truck hope your buddy did not break his nose when he stepped off the first step that was a 5 foot drop. Would have been nice if were not laughing so hard you could not tell the Canadian Mounted Police that I did not trough him from the truck as it was reported. I was glad you finally stopped laughing long enough to tell them I did nothing.

To the two Canadian Mounted police I’m glad you did not arrest me even though you wanted to. I must say your uniforms are magnificent and you are very polite.

To all the crazy Canadians who could not leave that truck alone good on you. I’m glad you took as many pictures as you did.What a shame the only one of me was my butt I bent over with my butt in the air when I dropped my cap, REALLY…

To Russ Boyer thanks Brother you dropped everything and helped me get her home an safe.

To my wife who thinks I’ve lost my mine….LOVE YA

To my SON oh ya this year’s hunt will be a blast.

Last edited by a moderator:

snowtrac nome

I guess lucky me no one to pi$$ off while on the barge. we'll see how many bird watchers get upset when I pass them on the dirt roads this summer

JDToumanian

Nope that is much older, The M923A2 is the 5 ton 6x6 cargo truck 80 - 90 being replace by the LMTV starting early 2000.
Ah. I had looked up M9 in my book and it comes up as a WWII tank transporter trailer... Giving your truck a nickname that is the M-number of other vehicles is going to confuse a lot of people! I did remember another thread where this trip was mentioned and I figured it was a 5-ton truck. Other than the petty thefts and minor breakdown near the end, the trip sounds like it was a lot of fun!

Jericho

All I can say is wow impressive. Is it the record for recovery distance I'll let you all know when I do 5423 miles from my home in NH to my sons in Alaska. He retires from the AF next year and I promised to haul two of his muscle cars behind my M 931A2 Almost hope he forgets

snowtrac nome

I think I had him beat mine went from seattle to western Alaska in Nome of course mine had to hitchn a ride on a boat as the Iditarod trail wasn't an option

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks