• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dead Pilot's M36a2 Build

Dead pilot

So I've been looking to get this M36 for a while now and finally pulled the trigger. Most of the truck is in good shape for the most part. Some of the parts are in the bed of the truck. A few things missing on it and it needs a couple a new tires. The engine needs some work. It hasnt ran in awhile but it did turn over. So next weekend will start the work.

Only got one picture of it today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Attachments

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Years ago I bought what I thought was an M35 through Govliquidation.

When I got to Redstone to pick it up it was an M36. The GL guy offered to void the sale but I assured him I was satisfied with the deal.

I later sold it to a fellow SS member SCSG-G4 from South Carolina. It now pulls the MKT that Mike brings to the GA Rally every year.

They are not the rarest variation of the deuce but they are not all that common.

I hope you make a show truck out of the old girl.

Dead pilot

I'm happy with my find. I know there's appt of work to do but it's a great base. No major rust most of the body is there. What's not shown is in the bed. The cab is going to need work. Both seats are shot but that's expected.
The paperclips are a huge plus. And it must of been a gun truck cause it has the mount for one.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
First thing I'd do after finding out if she runs is have the radiator serviced, man it looks rough.

Before you try to start the motor, pull off the fuel shut-off cover and make sure that lever moves freely. If not she may try to "run away" on you, or worse, not start.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm happy with my find. I know there's appt of work to do but it's a great base. No major rust most of the body is there. What's not shown is in the bed. The cab is going to need work. Both seats are shot but that's expected.
The paperclips are a huge plus. And it must of been a gun truck cause it has the mount for one.

When you have time take a few more pics, cab interior, engine compartment (both sides), and underside.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are no visible leaks underneath. That can't be right! Looks downright unhealthy!

Looks like someone partially pulled that radiator. The bumper looks level, so it is the rad that's crooked. M36 are practical if you put an S-280 shelter in the bed for camping purposes; you have room enough to have a little "porch" in the entrance area.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are no visible leaks underneath. That can't be right! Looks downright unhealthy!

Looks like someone partially pulled that radiator. The bumper looks level, so it is the rad that's crooked. M36 are practical if you put an S-280 shelter in the bed for camping purposes; you have room enough to have a little "porch" in the entrance area.

Yep, the proverbial OD Hilton...........my wife would put flowers on the porch.:whistle:

Dead pilot

So I've read the turbo post but don't really have a clear idea on the deal with having a turbo or not. I pretty much got out of it all it won't smoke having one. My truck doesn't have a turbo and has the side exhaust. I can add the turbo on it cause I could get one off a dead turbo engine. So should I left the engine alone or add the turbo

Prospector GM

I think M36A2's are tuff looking trucks with there long beds. With some resto. work you'll have a badarsh deuce. Hey Blendmaster2002 has a M36a2 also . If you are interested Blendmaster2002 is hosting the 2017 SoCal Summer Rally Aug,4-6 Big Bear California San Bernardino Mtns his M36 will be there along with other trucks and cucv's.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I've read the turbo post but don't really have a clear idea on the deal with having a turbo or not. I pretty much got out of it all it won't smoke having one. My truck doesn't have a turbo and has the side exhaust. I can add the turbo on it cause I could get one off a dead turbo engine. So should I left the engine alone or add the turbo

While the original intent may have been emissions only, there is absolutely no doubt that turbocharged multifuels are a lot more...agile. The turbo pushes more air in, making for a cleaner burn. It also allows you to add more fuel, resulting in more power. Turbo Deuces are louder, but a simple muffler modification takes care of that.
If you are not interested in that and rather prefer the fact that naturally aspirated multifuels are easier on the ears without using a muffler, you do not HAVE to add a turbo.
Smoke and rather lackluster acceleration come with not having a turbo.

Dead pilot

The other day I was able to go over the truck pretty good there's alot things but nothing that can't be dealt with. Trucks rolls just fine. There's pressure in the brakes but this truck has been sitting for awhile so I'll have to flush the brake fluid and bleed the system. Not sure on air system yet since I can't run her yet. The oil is full and I put the missing filter on. Just need to secure the radiator and fill with coolant. Needs a generator. Then the inside I need a few gauges cause those are missing. So all in all it probably will take some time with all the little things. And then once it runs that will give me a better idea on where I stand.
I do have to figure the year and make cause all I have is the number on the frame. I don't think the data plate is on the truck but I could be wrong.
But here's some pictures I got

Dead pilot

While the original intent may have been emissions only, there is absolutely no doubt that turbocharged multifuels are a lot more...agile. The turbo pushes more air in, making for a cleaner burn. It also allows you to add more fuel, resulting in more power. Turbo Deuces are louder, but a simple muffler modification takes care of that.
If you are not interested in that and rather prefer the fact that naturally aspirated multifuels are easier on the ears without using a muffler, you do not HAVE to add a turbo.
Smoke and rather lackluster acceleration come with not having a turbo.
Thanks for that. I think I'm gonna add the turbo but I gotta see how the engine is 1st.

mhb285

You have Eric's military supply for you locally.
He's my go to for stock item stuff...
But, pretty sure its mail order only... they will be of great help.
Good luck & have fun.
Got to remember the fun part...

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That long bed is certainly cool. And it is half of a drop side. Steel hardtop is desirable. But the interior shows...umm...signs of use and would ...umm...greatly benefit from a few easy to replace parts! A great time to think about a few mods you know you would love to make anyway, such as power steering (you need a new steering wheel, so now is the time to go whole hog!) :driver:,HUMVEE or MRAP seats (I mean, what are you gonna do? Replace seat covers??? hehe), remote brake fluid reservoir (ok, that's basically a must do)....

I stop thinking now.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks