• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dead Pilot's M36a2 Build

TGP (IL)

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than us will chime in.
My truck as I said has a 12 to 14" hose from the steel line to the WC.
There is a clamp about half way securing it to a bracket on the knuckle.

Maybe it was changed during rebuild or by previous owner (state of IL).
I don't know.

Tom

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok so after looking through that TM something doesn't make sense with what I'm seeing on there and what's on my truck and then what I can find parts wise.
The TM shows a single hose that goes from the axle to the wheel, I have found a hose that does from eastern. But my truck has a short soft hose from the axle to the knuckle and hard line from the knuckle to the wheel cylinder. Or is this the way it done in the earlier years?

I'll add pictures when I get home.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
DSCF2282.jpgDSCF2291.jpg Dead, this is the Front R/H brake flex hose on my Deuce. Year 1971/72. The flex hose goes from the Wheel Cylinder to a clamp, from the clamp to a bracket that bolts to the axle housing, and then joins the steel line on the other side of the bracket. What year they made the change from early to late I don't know. I would call Memphis Equipment and ask their mechanical department when the change was made, and then talk to their parts dept. to see if they still have your early parts in stock. Dead, from the looks of things you should also check your king pin bushings at this time. Grab either front tire at the top, and rock it back and forth (left to right) and if you can feel a click either way you're due for king pin bushings. They're not to hard to install.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2292.jpgDSCF2293.jpgDSCF2294.jpg Dead, I apologize for the crummy pictures. Seems my camera batteries needed to be recharged. Here's some better ones. Being as your this far along, you may want to install some new front axle dust boots.

Dead pilot

View attachment 762551View attachment 762552View attachment 762553 Dead, I apologize for the crummy pictures. Seems my camera batteries needed to be recharged. Here's some better ones. Being as your this far along, you may want to install some new front axle dust boots.
Thanks Tracer. That helps out alot. I'll be able to use the hoses that came in set I ordered. I have a new set of boots that are waiting to go once I pull everything to do the brakes. I'll be checking everything as I get to each part.

Dead pilot

I'm really wondering how spoiled this truck was. It doesn't seem like it ended up at depo. All the axles motor trans are all the same year as the truck. Front brake lines are old school style and from what i can tell there isnt a ton of paint. Too bad there is no real way to find out the history of these trucks

There was a way, but I think someone said the guy that did it for us isn't around anymore or doesn't have access to his system anymore.

I was able to give him my frame number on here and found out my truck is really a 67 KJ even though the military messed up and gave me documentation for a 70 AMG.

My truck was originally assigned to a USMC unit for cold weather operations, built in Western PA (LEAD-Letterkenny Army Depot) built there and didn't move until 2016 when I bought it and drove it home. Have the "reconditioned" plauqe one the right side of dash saying 0010 mi in 01/89

His username is CARNAC and bikeman was able to get his hands on this system, do t know if that is still the case.

It's amazing the history of these trucks. Back then we figured out mine is a 67 Kaiser Jeep, but was upgraded through the years and may have been an A1 originally. I have the old style front crossmember

Dead pilot

So the M36 has some company for alittle bit. The m109 project I'm also working on. The 109 isnt too bad just little things.
But for the M36 the brake lines and fittings have been ordered. I manged to save all the T fittings. And the soft line kit I ordered a while back will take care of the old style front axle to wheel line. So if all goes well next week she'll have brakes once again then cab will go back on. I'm hoping to by the end of the month to have her on the road. 20190429_191427.jpg

Dead pilot

So after a parts shopping trip last week I got a few things that I needed for the M36. A long style air pack to replace my old busted one. It could be a new old stock one. It has all the plastic plugs in the fitting holes. Going to check out the internals just to make sure before I install it.
Got a replacement steering box since the current one seems bound and the column is bent at the box and leaks bad there.
Lastly was everything but the side racks for the bed.
Turned out to be a great shopping trip. Now the weather needs to unscrew itself out here so I can pull the wheels off the get working on the brakes

Dead pilot

So major progress is coming in the next few days. The cab is going to finally get put back on to the frame. Have a reach forklift being dropped off on Monday.
I have all the 5/16 brake lines ran and flexible lines to the axles in. Master and air pack is installed just need the air back to block line. Then next week will be all the 1/4 lines on the axles and wheel cylinders and bearing and seal mess. So hopefully she will take a test drive by the 22nd.

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just finished reading all from start to present, wow you are doing a **** of a job. keep up the good work and the photos coming so that members like me and others can keep tract of what is being done and how it is being done so that when we need to do it is already planted in our heads in what to expect. I have a bunch of trucks that will need some work to be done to them,now I need a place in where I can do the work. thanks

Dead pilot

Today was the day the cab found its home on the frame finally. A bit harder then planned since the company i was going to rent the forklift put the wrong date for the rental. But 3 of us manage to get it on and in place. Tomorrow the rest of the cab will go back together. 20190617_092619.jpg20190617_093915.jpg20190617_113130.jpg20190617_113838.jpg20190617_112138.jpg20190617_151630.jpg20190617_151614.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pizza and beer for 3 was probably cheaper than the forklift rental!

Good job, she looks like a much improved truck!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Dead pilot

Looks good but were you under that? Those jack stands look like something I would do!! Little sketchy.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
No. The Jack stands are just down there right now. No weight was on them. They will be used with some dunnage when I do the brakes but then it will only be 1 axle at a time

Dead pilot

Well had some major progress follow a major failure this past weekend.
1st the progress
I got all the brake lines replaced, master cylinder rebuilt and new air pack in. Replaced all the wheel cylinders and repacked all the bearings and replaced all the seals even the corks. Had to replace 4 shoe return spring cause they broke when take them off in the rear. Adjusted all the brakes. Got all the electrical up working and was ready for the 1st test drive.
Started off great when up the drive from the bottom of my property, then headed up my drive to main street. This when the major failure happened.
I went to test the brakes again while going up the hill and then the pedal goes straight to the floor and doesnt come back. At this time the truck starts rolling backwards rather quick. Lost my mirror to a branch so now I cant see where I'm going. But I manage to put it the corner post of my retaining wall instead of into the drive where our cars were parked. I managed to miss the power pole and kept it from sliding into the waterway.
Not too much damage was done from what can be seen right now. Broke one dog bone for sure. Waiting till I put the truck on some frame stands to pull the rear axles out to inspect everything better.
So what we think happened was when I was bring it up from the bottom of my property theres a place were it goes up hill then turns left with still going up hill. Not the great transitions though. When it got to this point some part of mid brake lines got caught in the mid to rear drive shaft. And it took it about 200 ft till took it the mid axle brake line off. Not sure how since it was mounted up like it came off but it did. 20190628_201430.jpg20190628_201442.jpg20190628_201500.jpg20190628_201509.jpgIMG950757.jpgIMG950758.jpg20190701_115137.jpg20190701_115146.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks