• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dead Pilot's M36a2 Build

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get their ferrules, too. You CAN use the brass ferrules from the plumbing section in the hardware store but they are a hair to wide and the compression nut won't grab a thread. Briefly touch the ferrule to the bench grinder on both open sides and - voila - they also work.

Dead pilot

I got some dot air line and the rest of the stuff now I just have to wait for the weather to clear up to go redo the lines. I'm thinking this is the time to remove my flame heater while I'm doing the fuel lines.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dead pilot

Latest update.... I got most of my return fuel replaced just have a few of the 3/8 lines left to do. Got the flame heater pulled just need to get the plugs for intake. Also replaced the o-ring for the fuel cut out lever. And if my understanding of how it goes back together is right the screws are suppose to finger tight so the lever can move freely. But its theres suppose to be a gap where the plate goes? 20190212_143640.jpg

rustystud

Latest update.... I got most of my return fuel replaced just have a few of the 3/8 lines left to do. Got the flame heater pulled just need to get the plugs for intake. Also replaced the o-ring for the fuel cut out lever. And if my understanding of how it goes back together is right the screws are suppose to finger tight so the lever can move freely. But its theres suppose to be a gap where the plate goes? View attachment 755848

The screws are tightened to about 30 InIbs, (need to look-up the actual spec) not finger tight. Also there is "not" suppose to be a gap there.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel control screws 18 to 23 inch pounds is what the book calls for. Just tighten them by hand to about what it took to get them off and check for free movement. Loosen and correct if not moving "very" "freely".
When installing the fuel control the pin blade must be horizontal when the arm of the fuel control should be around the 4/5 o:clock position. Sometimes just a little adjustment/wiggle on the arm to get the pin to slide into the plunger collar and fuel control will go in flush.

Last edited:

Dead pilot

Finally got my radiator back from the shop. $30 later and it's good as new. Next week it will go in and then it's time to start her up.
20190308_162845.jpg20190308_162701.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$30 is a really good price if it needed boiling out and a few little fixes! I paid..umm...300-ish for them to re-core and replace the tank. Still cheaper than a new one.

Dead pilot

I'm surprised that they were able to repair it. Had 4 or 5 major holes and **** ton of pin hole leaks. Guy had for about a month. So I'm not complaining lol

Dead pilot

Finally able to get back working on her today. I got all the belts replaced. Which took longer then it should have since the air compressor pulley fought me to no end. Ended up pulling the whole pulley off to put in a vice to use some heat and oil. But that didnt work either so I flipped and found a socket to fit the back and used an impact. That fought it too but it came off. So now its easy to get on and off Haha.
Radiator is back in just need a few new hose clamps before I can fill it up.
Tomorrow I'm gonna fix the last couple of fuel lines and the fuel shut off lever. So I'm hoping to start her up on Friday.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dead pilot

The long awaited update. She is ALIVE!!!!
Took a few time turning over to get fuel in the motor and for things to come alive after sitting dormant for some many years. The in tank fuel pump start right up when I flipped the switch, but the only thing is I think the magnetic starter relay is dead or my button doesn't work, so I bypassed that and that solved the issue.
I'll add the others when I have some more time.

https://youtu.be/HMMC6Beu3X4

Dead pilot

That was the 2nd video. I upload the most import one 1st lol. It took a few mins but still not too bad I think. I adjusted my fuel shut off lever the second time and closed it up for a 3rd start up and short run. Next up fuel and oil change, and brakes. Then I'm going to attempt to drive her up the yard to put the cab back on.

Redpawn

Am I the only one seeing these videos and thinking the truck is right hand drive? I know it has to be an optical illusion but it's still weird.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks