• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dead Pilot's M36a2 Build

Dead pilot

And the rest of the brake stuff and weather stripping came in today.
All thanks to Big Mike's motor pool

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dead, it looks like your going in the right direction. Can't wait to see it when your finished.[thumbzup]

Terracoma

I also found more info on the truck it self. It's a 67 kaizer jeep m36a2c and I found something really cool. It looks like some papers from it's last unit back in 87.
And I know the Vic number. With the paper it makes it easier to read through the paint

While it might have been a USMC truck in the past, this M36 was most recently a US Air Force truck, based on the paperwork that you've found! The second load list that you posted shows the vehicle ID, and is corroborated with the very faint "68Kxxxx" on your front bumper. This is typical USAF registration number format, as described in this thread.

In the top left corner of both the load lists, you'll also note the unit listed as: 148CCSQ...this was the 148th Combat Communications Squadron, which was stationed at the Ontario Air National Guard Station from 1984 through 1997. It looks like the 148th is still around, except now doing coolguy stuff at Vandenberg AFB.

Dead pilot

While it might have been a USMC truck in the past, this M36 was most recently a US Air Force truck, based on the paperwork that you've found! The second load list that you posted shows the vehicle ID, and is corroborated with the very faint "68Kxxxx" on your front bumper. This is typical USAF registration number format, as described in this thread.

In the top left corner of both the load lists, you'll also note the unit listed as: 148CCSQ...this was the 148th Combat Communications Squadron, which was stationed at the Ontario Air National Guard Station from 1984 through 1997. It looks like the 148th is still around, except now doing coolguy stuff at Vandenberg AFB.
Thanks for info. I kinda figured it was a USAF truck at the end of its service. It's kinda cool to find out the history of theses trucks

Dead pilot

Slowly getting the parts fixed up and painted before they go back on the truck. Had a take out a good dent out of the front of the hood. Then I repainted the same pattern that was already there. Fenders are next up then get to the cab. Figured that would be the easiest way to try and match the pattern

Dead pilot

Made some more headway this week. All the cab parts are cleaned up and ready for paint next week. Got the cab on a stand that I modified a bit to put the fenders on so I can get the pattern on to the cab.
Next week will be paint then putting the cab all back together. Slowly getting there.

Dead pilot

This week the cab has been painted green and mocked up on its stand to prep for the painting the rest of the pattern.
Once paint is done I'm gonna put in the weather stripping, the windows and windshields (just need to get the frame to window seals for all them), and on with the soft top. Then it's on to interior parts of the cab. So in few weeks it will go back on to the truck.

Dead pilot

This weeks progress makes the it looks truck is in the house now. The cab and the soft top is all painted, and I got the windshield glass and weather stripping in. The inside cab is slowly coming together. I just need to find the bench seat covers and cushions and the box seat cushions.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This weeks progress makes the it looks truck is in the house now. The cab and the soft top is all painted, and I got the windshield glass and weather stripping in. The inside cab is slowly coming together. I just need to find the bench seat covers and cushions and the box seat cushions.

Dead your M36 is coming together nicely. Dead, JATONKA has the bench seat covers you need, and covers for the box seats as well. Top quality, priced right, and made in the USA. Check out his website. John is also a Steel Soldiers member.

Last edited:

Dead pilot

Dead your M36 is coming together nicely. Dead, JATONKA has the bench seat covers you need, and covers for the box seats as well. Top quality, priced right, and made in the USA. Check out his website. John is also a Steel Solders member.
Cool thanks. I'll go check that out.

Dead pilot

Since painting weather is currently out I've moved on to the motor. And it seems like my radiator has seen better days. It leaks pretty bad from the back and bottom and the front is pretty bad. Is it worth trying to get repaired or should I go try and a replaced stock or aftermarket

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since painting weather is currently out I've moved on to the motor. And it seems like my radiator has seen better days. It leaks pretty bad from the back and bottom and the front is pretty bad. Is it worth trying to get repaired or should I go try and a replaced stock or aftermarket

Do you have a radiator shop in your area that does truck or aircraft rads? If so, it may be well worth having the rad boiled out to reveal any damaged areas and then fix it. They can put in a new core, for instance. These radiators are immensely repairable, compared to contemporary products.
A new one makes sense if your quote approaches $800-900. I would bet that you can get yours repaired and looking almost new for a lot less.

Dead pilot

Do you have a radiator shop in your area that does truck or aircraft rads? If so, it may be well worth having the rad boiled out to reveal any damaged areas and then fix it. They can put in a new core, for instance. These radiators are immensely repairable, compared to contemporary products.
A new one makes sense if your quote approaches $800-900. I would bet that you can get yours repaired and looking almost new for a lot less.
I'll have to check the ones near by to see who does. I may to check closer to San Diego itself though. But if it is repairable that sounds a lot better then a new one.

Dead pilot

A few weeks off and last night she finally made to my place so I can get more work done. Had a friend tow it to my place. Eventful movement but it's now at my place.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few weeks off and last night she finally made to my place so I can get more work done. Had a friend tow it to my place. Eventful movement but it's now at my place.

Glad you've gotten her home.

Your pic shows a rather RARE configuration!
Many of us keep our trucks "Topless", but your "Cabless" redefines "fair weather" limits. LOL

Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress. :driver::goodjob::grd:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a friend tow it to my place.
You know you are NOT a redneck if a friend towed your truck. It could have involved a garbage can on a couple 2x4 duct taped to the frame to sit on and a really airy ride, out in the open, being deafened by the multi without a stack!

Dead pilot

You know you are NOT a redneck if a friend towed your truck. It could have involved a garbage can on a couple 2x4 duct taped to the frame to sit on and a really airy ride, out in the open, being deafened by the multi without a stack!
I won't lie if it ran and stopped I may have tried that. Haha. But I was standing on the box steering to get into place. So close enough.
This truck doesn't have a stack she has side exhaust by the rear wheels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks