• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dead Pilot's M36a2 Build

Dead pilot

After 6 plus years of the engine not being ran I turned her over. 1st time seemed a bit rough but then couple of other bumps I did seemed to be just fine. I didnt attempt to completely start her up and have it run since the fuel shut off lever seemed to be sticking and then I didnt have power to fuel pump or a radiator in. But just having the engine turn over was good enough for me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dead pilot

Got some more good news today. The shop I took my radiator to get checked out yesterday called me this morning. I was a bit worried but he said it could be saved only 4 leaks and only $40 to have it repaired. Now just have to get new hoses. Getting closer to having her running.

Dead pilot

Just having her turn over yesterday got me all excited and then the good news on my radiator makes things even better. I was thinking I was gonna have to have it rebuilt or worse find a new one. But luckily that wasnt the case. So this next week I'll be getting the coolant system all done up and change the oil and new filters all around. And fix the sticky fuel shut off lever. That way i can let her run when I get her ready to start again. I cant wait haha

71DeuceAK

I once looked at rescuing an M925 (Who later turned out to have a loving owner and was not left for dead in the junkyard she was at) and remember the thought of "When the weather warms up, I am sick with anticipation and dread at trying to have her make smoke and noise for the first time".

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm shooting for by the end of next week. Just depends on when I order the parts and when they come in.

Dead, keep us posted. We hope your first start goes well and she purrs like a kitten!!!

Dead pilot

I'm hoping for good clean start up when it's time. I'm gonna try and record it so I have record of it.

But for today's progress I have the alternator installed. Had to modify the stock bracket for the leece neville 12/24 alternator that came off a 915 but I got it to fit and able to use the stock size belts. Now I just gotta figure out the wiring of it.
Can it be ran without a 12v battery for right now till I can get a battery for the 12v side?20190124_105747.jpg20190124_105759.jpg20190123_123655.jpg

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW fantastic work! Please keep the pics coming, you're doing a GREAT job!

About 2 years ago I sent in a Deuce radiator to my local "GOOD" radiator shop; core was shot, so aluminum replacement was $750 and brass was $900. Prices included re-attaching all sheet metal so it would be ready to install once returned. So I'm glad that yours was able to be repaired and for a good price!

[thumbzup] [thumbzup] [thumbzup]

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can it be ran without a 12v battery for right now till I can get a battery for the 12v side?
The part that potentially sees high voltages is the regulator (mechanical energy goes in but no current flows out). I am not an expert on the mil spec alternators. A regular 12V car alternator is "expected" to survive being run without being connected to the batteries. Disconnecting the wires while running is another story.
I would probably just run 2 wires from the 12V side to any 12V battery (even if you park your pickup or car alongside the M36 and connect the two wires to it, or even pick up a $15 battery from a junk yard), just to not risk damage to a really expensive piece of kit.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob,

Great looking truck. I have a M36A2 in woodland camo with a tan top. Maybe
we could trade tops? Would rather have the woodland camo top but
couldn't find one so had to settle with the tan.

Are you interested? Any ideas to make it happen?

Thanks,
Orren

Dead pilot

Bob,

Great looking truck. I have a M36A2 in woodland camo with a tan top. Maybe
we could trade tops? Would rather have the woodland camo top but
couldn't find one so had to settle with the tan.

Are you interested? Any ideas to make it happen?

Thanks,
Orren
I just painted my top it started of as a tan top. It ends up matching the truck better. And that's how some of them were done when these truck were in the service. Well I know for sure the newer ones cause that's what we did so I'm sure not much changed

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob,

Are you happy with the paint you used? If so what brand and part number was it and where
did you get it?

Thanks for your help,
Orren

I just painted my top it started of as a tan top. It ends up matching the truck better. And that's how some of them were done when these truck were in the service. Well I know for sure the newer ones cause that's what we did so I'm sure not much changed

Dead pilot

Bob,

Are you happy with the paint you used? If so what brand and part number was it and where
did you get it?

Thanks for your help,
Orren
I used gillispie paint ordered from http://www.rapcoparts.com. I ordered quite a bit of paint since I'm repainting my whole truck. My color codes are probably different then yours unless you are using the 4 color merdc or the 383 3 color. Either way these guys have almost every color code that military trucks used.

Dead pilot

Well had a minor set back today. All the plastic return fuel lines are pretty much shot. So I have to go through and replace all that before I can attempt a full start up. Guess its time to start digging though the site and see what option I have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks