• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Benefits of a M1078 as a firetruck.

fcreamer88

I am looking for anybody on the forum who may have converted a M1078 into a brush fire truck. We received a letter from the Texas A&M Forestry service stating we are eligible for a truck via their rural VFD assistance program. They have a 1997 M1078 for us. We would be responsible for outfitting it and installing equipment, as well as paint and body work. Has anybody on here done this? I know they are releasing these trucks like crazy to volunteer fire departments. My problem is we have a 5 ton we have been converting for over a year, lack of manpower really slows the process. How much has to be done to a M1078 to get it fire ready? I want to get a grant for a skid unit to bolt into the bed, then build our own exo-cage and paint it ourselves. I have to convince the association we can manage this new project and it wont be nearly as difficult as the 5 ton has been. Any input?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. Use the "advanced search" button, use keyword "brush" and select search within the FMTV forum. This will give some ideas. I really like FMTVs, but to use one in fire service straight from TFS is very risky. They are VERY UNRELIABLE until numerous air brake components are replaced. Problem number two is parts support, which is abysmal at best. Vendors tend to have one or two of this or that. Until your truck has a certain number of parts replaced and is over the "hump" as far as reliability, expect the truck to come back on the hook again and again. Your 5 ton is an entirely different animal. Great parts support and very reliable. My opinion as a fellow Texas volunteer firefighter.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are VERY UNRELIABLE until numerous air brake components are replaced.
Could you elaborate on this? I hear people talk about it being nice to replace the air driers, but never anything this strongly worded. It would be nice if a couple of the long-time experienced members would get together and write a "So you bought an FMTV, now what?" article.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you elaborate on this? .
Frequntly reported age related failures on the FMTVs off the top of my head:
primer pump, voltage regulator, rear brake cans, cab latch, cab hyd pump, air brake valves behind front bumper, air brake valves behind drivers step, air brake valves above rear axle, wheel CTIS valves, engine fan mount, rear stabilizer bushings, wheel end spider gear adjustment, air compressor mounting, more?

snowtrac nome

the major air problems come from long periods of time sitting and soldiers not treating the air system right I bought one for a service truck specifically because I didn't want the headaches of hydraulic brakes like hydro vacs and wheel cylinders leaking. I expect the charging system to be the biggest hurdle I will have to overcome in the future. all things considered if it is mechanical its going to fail some day.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd stick with the 5T project you currently have.

If that were complete? sure, but getting 2 projects going? both with similar challenges? nah.

snowtrac nome

if you have an un finished project it makes sense to finish it, it would be hard to turn down a free truck, the lmtv platform has a lot of pros for your application most specifically you don't need a football field to turn around in. they're more advanced and use a lot of electronics, I feel they are as reliable or even more so than some of the new commercial stuff out there.

someoldmoose

If ya wanna brush truck, my $.02, forget the FMTV. If they wanna give ya the truck to use, make it a "troop truck" for the wildland crew. Use a "standard" cab [35, 54, 800, 900 (last 2 are overkill) series ] for yer brushbuster. LOTSA, LOTSA stuff out there for transforming them. Good Luck & Happy Brushfiring!

Last edited:

fcreamer88

Thanks for the input, everybody. Upon reading the proposal attached to the truck information, my mind changed. If we accepted the new truck, we had 180 days to finish "all" work on vehicles given to us by TFS, otherwise we would have to return all trucks given to us that were not in service...meaning the 5 ton as well. We did not accept the new truck and this actually lit a fire, no pun intended, under some of the volunteers who have better things to do than show up 1 saturday a month and work on the truck. We have welders and pipe cutters scheduled for tomorrow morning to start building the cage around the 5 ton! Maybe soon we can complete it and they will offer us another truck, I'm hoping for a Goat, but know that wont happen. :)

Fman911

I have a small department in oklahoma and I converted a M1078 into a brush truck. As far as getting around through the brush and mud it's been great, but yes I'm having air brake issues with it right now. I got in a hot area and melted a bunch of lines and that will get you in trouble in a hurry. I was able to replace the melted lines and wrap them and all the other lines that could get melted with exhaust header wrap. Now I'm having issues with the air valves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Webrep

We just finished our LMTV for a brush truck. It has a 500 gallon Military aluminum fuel pod as a water tank, two hose reels and a pump. We also use the truck for water rescues. This has been and excellent addition to our broke volunteer department.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks