• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Practicality and other questions

Jake5150

I would say the biggest factor would be your willingness and ability to work on it yourself. Driving daily is secondary and certainly livable if your commute is short. I never had buyers remorse, but do have the sellers version of the same... I say get one if you like to tinker! I'm working out details for another one [thumbzup]
I would be willing to work on it myself as much as possible, I think it'd be rewarding and fun. I don't know a whole lot, but that doesn't mean I can't learn. I probably wouldn't exactly drive it all the time, but most of the places I go are only a few minutes away and it only takes me 10 minutes to get to work. I'd figure it'd only add on an extra few minutes to get to work if I take it. If I were to really be in a rush or need to get somewhere with little space for parking I'd just take my pickup. I like to park far away out on parking lots anyways, I don't like people parking next to me because some people are idiots and like to open their doors and hit other people's cars. Plus a little walking never hurt anyone.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't want to just hop in and take off with large diesels, they should be warmed up a bit, especially if your running motor oil in the trans still. A M1078 is shorter than a crew cab, long bed pickup. At least mine is shorter than my ram 3500. I would really look to drive one first hand, and tool, you need bigger tools. Wheel nuts alone are 475ft/lb. tires weigh 350+. Bed is 5 feet off the ground, you just don't hop up into it. 7mpg (mine gets awesome smiles per mile however). Blind spots!!!!! Co drivers are nice.

My first pick for a beer run out of a Ducati, Harley, jeep tj, BMW X5, ram 3500, the LMTV wins every time.

1951M1078

Don't forget the parking lot problem.

" Is that your truck ? "

And that turns into 45 min's lost. LOL

Oh, and you need to learn the history of the truck. Or you will look like a dumb ass ! LOL

Reworked LMTV

Things that ARE practical about FMTV's:
1. If you hit a Prius, you can just use bug remover
2. With an M1088, even semi-trucks get out of your way
3. If you can't find parking, you just make you own spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PrEUWAJ7Qg
4. Dings and dents just add personality to it
5. You always get asked to be in the parade
6. A Ferrari can be parked next you at a light and the people will only stare at your truck
7. If you wreck it, you are guaranteed to be on the news

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

smine arrived in town last weekend so far its been photographed as much as the migratory birds around here kids love it down sides I see as a commercial vehicle it costs lots to register, insurance isn't too bad but yellow motors are thirsty. most of our roads out here are gravel and the ones that are paved are roller-coasters from frost heaves the combo of a suspension that works big tires and air ride cab make it a dream to drive compared to a pu when driving in traffic there is a big blind spot next to the passengers door
parking isn't a problem the truck is just a little wider also driving cab forward you have to remember the driver should be in the middle of an intersection when turning not next to the stop sign.

Reworked LMTV

These are the things that I have found challenging:
1. Finding a useful part # can be a PITA. Finding a source can be even MORE challenging
2. If it's rubber on these trucks, you will be replacing it and it won't prevent child birth anymore
3. Many parts are specialty items, sourced from all over the globe, with short production runs, often discontinued or the part is not serviceable
4. The tech manuals to find a specific area is a pain
5. "Oh, its MILITARY? We don't have that information here" (Recent conversation with CAT Dealer)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine isn't a daily driver but I do take it to town occasionally. It's actually easier to park than my old F250 Crew Cab. Here's me in a single spot at What-A-Burger.

IMG_0008.jpgIMG_0007.jpg

utahpow

I have a question regarding the exhaust, oil, air filter, hydraulics, spare tire, etc located behind the cab --- for those like me who are interested in making an LMTV an adventure vehicle, how is it possible to relocate the aforementioned items so that the rear cargo area can be moved as close to the cab as possible? The spare I figure can be relocated to the back of the vehicle, so not so worried about that item in particular.

Has anyone thought of doing this, has done it? Or is it a lost and expensive cause that I should give up on?

TIA -

coachgeo

I have a question regarding the exhaust, oil, air filter, hydraulics, spare tire, etc located behind the cab --- for those like me who are interested in making an LMTV an adventure vehicle, how is it possible to relocate the aforementioned items so that the rear cargo area can be moved as close to the cab as possible? The spare I figure can be relocated to the back of the vehicle, so not so worried about that item in particular.

Has anyone thought of doing this, has done it? Or is it a lost and expensive cause that I should give up on?

TIA -
some have.... moved all those.... some didn't. suggest you comb thru here and read the few threads on here folk put while building their adventure rig.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many try to move the box close to the cab. A benefit to that is a possible pass-through... Just remember the cab tilts forward to access the engine. For me personally, I would lean towards leaving spare, air/hydraulic pump, ether injection, spare with lift mech, hydraulic controls, etc in place and extending the box off the rear. Here is a photo of a SS member's rig where they've done just that.

IMG_3709.JPG

utahpow

I appreciate the comments and advice, so thank you. Who's rig is this if you know? I'd love to read more about the build should there be more info.

coachgeo

Reworked LMTV

Yes, there are quite a few people doing this. The concept is called overlanding, which I believe started in Europe. Could start at website called " Two if by land". Martin and Bethany are quite nice and helped me get started.

There are three primary cabin types. Aluminum, composite, and Would.
Would build ="I wish I Would have saved more money for this build" :doghead:

There are two books you must have:
1. "Motorhome
self-build and optimisation
1000 tips and tricks for anyone wanting to build
a motorhome or optimise an existing vehicle" by Ulrich Dolde (nice guy, recently published in English)
2. "Build Your own Overland Camper" by Steve Wigglesworth (yes, that's his name)

or could get:
"My wife is gonna kill me. Bought another military truck...
How to talk your wife in to another Toy, that will eventually be a camper (Not)"

Better track down some high speed gears if you plan on doing this, unless you are planning on camping in your neighborhood. I would actually start there first. Cabins are relatively easy to find. Gears? Not so much. Plan on $2-3k for these.

Last edited:

utahpow

Thank you for the book recommendations, and also for finding the rig and thread behind the photo - which had no other context behind it, other than just the photo. That did save me quite the trip down search lane.

The RV/Overlanding box build portion while complicated isn't as scary as a jump for me as is understanding the MTV platform and what I'll be getting myself into with renovations, maintenace, and such. The details and experiences of the machine itself with everything else shared on this forum are quite priceless. Thanks again.

utahpow

These books are great, thank you! I'm trying to avoid the last one, but will probably have to buy that one as well ;)

There are two books you must have:
1. "Motorhome
self-build and optimisation
1000 tips and tricks for anyone wanting to build
a motorhome or optimise an existing vehicle" by Ulrich Dolde (nice guy, recently published in English)
2. "Build Your own Overland Camper" by Steve Wigglesworth (yes, that's his name)

or could get:
"My wife is gonna kill me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks