• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

B-29: The "Kee Bird" Disaster

winfred

last i checked a year or two ago the update at the time had said a good bit of scavenging had been done, i remember no pics of said plundering so no clue if it was true but that would be a further insult to the story

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why bring this one up? Post count low and need to boost it?

In the general aviation, and Warbird Community in particular, any mention of Darryl Greenamyer is a really bad thing due to the Kee Bird event.

This particular subject remains so sore to this day that any respectable member of the aviation community simply does not mention it; it is understood that all those involved in the community already know the event.

Thanks for this.
Pond Racer.jpgSame with Bob Pond and the Pond Racer. RIP Rick Brickert.

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Kee Bird should have been disassembled as Doc was and shipped out. Flying it out of the Arctic of all places was doing it the hard way.

Last edited:

Bill W

last i checked a year or two ago the update at the time had said a good bit of scavenging had been done, i remember no pics of said plundering so no clue if it was true but that would be a further insult to the story
As I remember she burned up on a froze over lake and when it thawed that spring ( if you want to call it that ) she sank to the bottom with pretty much just only her tail sticking out

vtdeucedriver

The Kee Bird should have been disassembled as Doc was and shipped out. Flying it out of the Arctic of all places was doing it the hard way.
How would you ship it out???? It was beyond fuel range for most helicopters. The initial investigation trip was by huey and they had to shuttle fuel to a half way point just to reach it to investigate it.

54reo

I replied poorly in this thread to the OP, and I offer my sincere apologies for it.

I don't really know why it set me off, but my reply was way out of line.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior, I am sorry for being a jerk, you definitely do not deserve it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Why bring this one up? Post count low and need to boost it?

In the general aviation, and Warbird Community in particular, any mention of Darryl Greenamyer is a really bad thing due to the Kee Bird event.

This particular subject remains so sore to this day that any respectable member of the aviation community simply does not mention it; it is understood that all those involved in the community already know the event.

Thanks for this.
Since this thread was brought back up, so reading the above statement that ASSUMES that the whole MV world knows why the above was made, and being that most of the MV world does not KNOW as the poster ASSUMES, SO WHAT HAPPENED and WHY THE above STATEMENT?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replied poorly in this thread to the OP, and I offer my sincere apologies for it.

I don't really know why it set me off, but my reply was way out of line.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior, I am sorry for being a jerk, you definitely do not deserve it.
Brian,
I've sent a PM.

And since this is also out in the open forum.....

Apology FULLY accepted.
Forgiven and forgotten, brother!

Though your insight into the aviation-world's perspective was just as informative as the original topic. Thanks for sharing it.

John

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone who has been in aviation long enough knows stupid things happen.
Complacency, overconfidence, fatigue, get-home-itis syndrome, etc. are all factors.

I was sitting right seat in an MH-47, and after startup, watched the ground crew as they were pulling a MH-60 Blackhawk to the flight line.
Instead of going straight like they were supposed to, they made a 90* turn.........and hit a parked fuel truck with the tailboom.
We were talking on radios of course, since we could see what was going to happen, but no one could contact the tow driver. (Radio volume was later found to be turned all the way down) and our crew chief, who was running over to them, couldn’t get there fast enough before it hit.
Ground guide was on opposite side of helo.
Expensive mistake is an understatement.

Our operational tempo had been high and we were all feeling it.
Lots of missions and everyone was giving their all.
But having tunnel vision is a common problem.
They were so focused on getting the bird to the pad, they missed what should have been so obvious.

Lots of aircraft and lives have been lost for same reason.

Aviators like me are just as guilty.
You train and prepare as best as you possibly can, but we are still human beings.

It’s easy to have hindsight.
Easy to say...they should have done this or that.......after the fact.
When you are “in the moment”, you have a thousand things going through your mind.
Extremely easy to miss something.
That’s where checklist and training and experience make a difference.

Yes, they should have paused before attempting the takeoff.
Mentally, physically and verbally going over everything.
Easy for me to say, but I wasn’t there.

Unfortunately......They missed something simple and paid the price.

Guyfang

Staff member
It doesn't matter what field you work in. Stupid stuff happens. A friend of mine was the Hawk Fielding Officer, when we gave the Egyptians Hawk Air Defense systems. When the freighter docked in port to unload, there were 18 trucks lined up to tow the Hawk launchers, (enough for a Battalion) on the dock. Each launcher was lifted out of the hold, and sat down behind a truck. The trucks backed up, and hooked up the launchers. When all 18 were hooked up, the convoy drove off. At the end of the dock, each truck made a right turn, and drove away. Sadly, the Egyptians and Americans who planned every little detail, didn't consider that the Russian truck tow pintle, was at a much lower height then the American trucks. When said truck made the turn, Charlie arm on each launcher made contact with the rear of the truck. 18 launchers non-op, before they even were signed for. Anyone who has been in the military can tell you like tales.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks