• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This looks important - What is it exactly?

While inspecting my brakes, I was scooted on my back under the rear bumper when I looked up and saw this nifty and very rusted piece with 3 lines running back to the engine. I'm thinking to myself this looks important, it's sitting just inside the frame in front of the air tank. Is this the cold air unit that needs a specific kind of alcohol? I thought it was elsewhere on the truck.

Can't find it in the diagram books or in the workshop guide. I am home sick today, so maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

0Hicmsf.jpg

I'm trying to ask smart questions here, I'm wondering if buying a U1300 would have been a better choice. Nonetheless any pointed help would be appreciated.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trailer brake controller. Not all 404's have them, only radio trucks like yours. You probably have the manual brake control handle sticking out on the right side of the steering column too, and an air compressor. When you pull down on that brake lever it's this controller that applies trailer brake air to the gladhands. It also 'follows' hydraulic brake pedal pressure with air application on the trailer brakes.

Why yes, I do have a Montgomery Wards looking wrench handle sticking out from my steering column with the air gauge, and next to the trailer hitch is the access cover for the hook up.
It's good that you say that as I'm considering getting a M1061A1 trailer to put the koffer onto while I work on the Mog. The M1061A1 has air over hydraulic brakes which this Mog can control.

Talking to a friend of mine last night about it, tells me he works for a steel beam shop here in town and has a 20T crane that can pick up the box for me, I would just need a trailer to put it on as they can't store it for me.

I see in your signature you have a Unimog 404, French NATO, would the version I have be considered a NATO truck as well because it has this configuration? I still don't know the full history of my truck.

btw: I see you have a U1300L Fire Service, can you post a picture of that or point me to a picture of it? As I'm considering a U1300L FireTruck myself. While I like the 404s as a project truck, I am looking to expand my collection and that's one style I'm looking at.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Crunchy,

When I said NATO truck it simply meant that it served as part of the NATO participation from that country. What that means (to me anyway) is that the trucks were modified to be equivalent in lighting and interconnections, like trailer plug, with USA trucks. For example, your Unimog 404 radio truck probably has the USA/NATO type trailer connection (12 pin), and glad hands, needed to pull and control your big flatbed trailer. Counter example would be my U1300 which is not NATO compatable and to which I cannot plug in a USA trailer. Even a change in plugs does not fix the problems due to light wiring, as on US trailers the brake lights blink, but not on the Unimog (a separate light).

Here are a few U1300 pictures. Since it's your thread I won't worry about leading it astray :)

Attachments

Thanks for sharing. You've contributed so much to my understanding of how my Mog works. I've read every thread on this forum about Unimogs including all of your posts. IMHO some of the best information is from threads that went astray. I seem to be asking a lot of questions, I was raised not to be greedy and not to take more than I provide, I'm sure the time will come when I can do for others as you have done for me, I'm still learning so I'm glad someone like you, Flu, PB, Ahab, and others who are providing info. Jay Couch told me not to buy a 404 and instead go for a 1300, I think now with all the work I've done on my 404 and the work to be done I think he may have been right. Yet as I see guys like you who have more than one in their collection, I will cut my teeth on this one and it will prepare me for when the day arrives that I decide to get a U-Series. My friends and colleagues ask why I don't get a Deuce, or American steel instead and I just shrug and say maybe, the Unimog for me is where it's at. :-D

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am happy to pass along information gained from guys smarter than me, and lessons learned in the 21 years since I bought my first 404 Unimog. I actually discovered Unimogs in Ecuador in about 1979 and have been intrigued with them ever since.

Before I bought a 404 I volunteered to help a buddy change out a transmission on a 404 TLF fire truck. (Hard cab and difficult-to-remove body complicated the job.) Wow that was a learning experience. After that I could handle anything!

The 404 model is a remarkably capable truck for what it was designed to do. Name the hardest trail anywhere and the 404 will navigate it better than any other Unimog. Ok, leave out sand and mud where horse power rules!! I say this from experience in Moab and other interesting places. The U1300 is a much bigger truck and most established trails were developed by smaller vehicles, making the trail much more difficult for the larger Mogs. Except for the small military Jeeps, there's not a military vehicle, including Deuces, FMTVs, 5 tons, etc, that can come close to following a 404 offroad. Bet that stirs the pot!

As you noticed, I also drive an LMTV and have done back-to-back comparisons to the U-1300 in adverse conditions. No comparison, the U1300 wins every time. If the LMTV axles had the clearance of portal axles, fully locking diffs front and rear, and was completely redesigned to get rid of all the hanging hoses and easily damageable stuff underneath, they might approach equality in offroad performance, and would be an entirely different truck.

One caveat though, your radio truck (and mine) with the one ton radio box on the back, are greatly limited in trail ability due to high center of gravity. Otherwise they have the capabilities of any Unimog. Check out the picture of my 404 radio truck on the Golden Crack. I never touched the clutch, just put-putted right through with not a tire slipping. This is a completely stock 404.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks