• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two Fuel Filters? and Air Inflation Pump Rusted Up

I went to clean the fuel filter and I ran across what appears to be two fuel filters?

One on the engine:

0C10YS6.jpg clfba7y.jpg

and the other by the fuel tank:

uoWc4Hf.jpg 8EjNJXs.jpg

Staring that the manual and the documentation, it looks right.

Is the fuel filter insert for both of these the same?

While we're at it, my Air Inflation Valve seems to be frozen in time, the button shaft is rusted solid in place, I pulled the rubber cover back and soaked it with WD-40, but it's just laughing at me.

xb4ycqY.jpg

any thoughts on repair or replace?
EI has a replacement for unknown amount
Unipaser has it for $145 and a rebuilt kit as well.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...soaked it with WD-40, but it's just laughing at me.
Not familiar with 404s per se, but most likely the first filter is a strainer, not a true filter. It's a cleanable mesh on FLUs, and may be on your 404, too.

If I were a corroded part and someone sprayed WD-40 on me, I'd laugh, too.
I think there's a reason that WD-40 recently released a series of new products. Those new versions may actually work, but since I have yet to try them, I don't know.

You could buy a lot of acetone and ATF for $145. Mix them 50/50 for the truly tough jobs. For the rest, there's JB-80, PB Blaster, and other brands.

If I were a corroded part and someone sprayed WD-40 on me, I'd laugh, too.
That's funny, I will remember that, probably make a good shirt too!
You could buy a lot of acetone and ATF for $145. Mix them 50/50 for the truly tough jobs. For the rest, there's JB-80, PB Blaster, and other brands.
You have mentioned this before, and I did write it down (somewhere). I even went out and bought an oil can to replicate your recommended use of such a cocktail.

I remembered that I had an Air Compressor in my shed, broke that out and after a couple of trips to Lowes got the right fittings and spent the evening pumping up my tires (12.5R20) to the right pressure for road travel (50 front, 45 back, don't laugh, I had them at 25 front, 30 rear). I will make your Acetone/ATF cocktail this weekend and see how it goes.

If it ever stops raining, I'll get out and clear out the fuel strainer and clean the fuel filter too.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have mentioned this before, and I did write it down (somewhere). I even went out and bought an oil can to replicate your recommended use of such a cocktail.

I remembered that I had an Air Compressor in my shed, broke that out and after a couple of trips to Lowes got the right fittings and spent the evening pumping up my tires (12.5R20) to the right pressure for road travel (50 front, 45 back, don't laugh, I had them at 25 front, 30 rear). I will make your Acetone/ATF cocktail this weekend and see how it goes.

If it ever stops raining, I'll get out and clear out the fuel strainer and clean the fuel filter too.
Make sure to use an oil can with a 1-piece bowl. I put my 50/50 mix in one with a crimped bottom, and it leaks out.

I don't think that 50 front and 45 rear is the correct pressure for your 404. Not with 12.5R20s, anyway. Try 30 front and 25 rear, it's probably much closer to what they should be at. Keep in mind that the military recommends 50 psi for road use with that tire size on a SEE - which weighs 16,000 lbs.
Look at a load chart and find out what you should run...once you know your axle weights.

Please send some rain this way, since you guys got a bit too much. I'm tired of heat and the lack of rain. At least the bedroom got down to the high 50s last night so I have regained the will to live.

In the manual it states Off Road to 20kmh for 10-20 Radial is 1.6 kp/cm = 22psi front / and 2.0 kp/cm = 28 psi rear. On Road is 3.75 kp/cm or about 53 PSI for both front and rear up to Max Speed, page 120 of 404s manual. I found a thread on BW that went into detail with some handy calculations for weather and different tire sizes too. Read another thread about new 404 owners not getting over 40kmh on the road and low PSI on front tires was one of the leading reasons.

Thank you for being concerned though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, 53 psi in a 10R20 is different from 53 psi in a 12.5R20. Also, chances are that the manual's recommendations are for a fully laden vehicle, not for running empty, or near empty.
Under inflated tires put up a lot of resistance, so it doesn't surprise me that it affects 404s, too. And especially in the front where the weight is usually higher.
That resistance creates heat, which you should avoid, so do consult a load chart for the tire size and axle weight you have. But it doesn't sound like you're erring on the low side.

Hey Flu,

Back to my original post. I went out and took those filters apart and sure enough one is the pre-filter and the other is the regular fuel filter. They were both the same type of filter. The pre-filter by the fuel tank had lost it's wing nut and the little screen started to come off separating at the seam. I pressed it to bend it back on so I think it may need to be replaced. I see EI has these.

f0de29V.jpg

The one by the engine had a little wire wrapped around the screen (to keep it attached) I presume.
A good through cleaning on both of them and cleaned out some gunk in the each of the bowls, and put them back in, easier than I thought.

So I guess I answered my own question and didn't need to burn (no pun intended) anyone's time with this.
Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

----------
On the topic of my tire pressure. Flu, your post was poking my brain all weekend. (This thread on another part of the web gave me the info about my presumably high PSI's) I went out and got a Digital PSI gauge and found that my Pittsburgh 4x4 Tire Gauge and the even worse Kobalt Air Valve PSI Gauge were both wrong, Upon checking with the digital gauge, my tires were all at above my Max PSI. So I aired them all down to 45.

Then I took it for a spin around the neighborhood and steering was better but she's still lacking power. We had a massive storm on Saturday afternoon and the streets in my neighborhood quickly returned to quick reminder of Aug 14 2016. Drove the Mog through several areas of 2'+ standing water. I presume the tire pressure of a 404s Radio Truck should be for regular drives through 2 to 3 feet of water is going to be down around 25 PSI.

btw, I made your Acetone / ATF Mix and it worked out really well, got an oil can labeled with that and used it to clean up a few things. Have to wait and see on the Air Inflation Valve though.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to hear that things are working out.
And be careful with over inflated, over sized tires in three feet of water - your little 404 might start floating away.

Oh, whenever I start using a new tire pressure gauge I check it against a known one. The digital ones are usually better than the pencil type, but it's rare to have two gauges agree.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks