• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lift kit for M1009

I have 4" ORD with tough country front springs and tough country shocks. Not all the parts ORD is selling you are made by tough country. Post your quote and we can help you understand the costs. When i bought mine, I researched each price for each item and found ORDs prices to be competitive with amazon and eBay.

nathus

I have 4" ORD with tough country front springs and tough country shocks. Not all the parts ORD is selling you are made by tough country. Post your quote and we can help you understand the costs. When i bought mine, I researched each price for each item and found ORDs prices to be competitive with amazon and eBay.
I will,

but to give an idea : On suspension connections.com the shocks SX8000 cost 31usd.
ORD want to sell me this 48usd...

It give quickle a total different quote...

Ilikemtb999

That's where I bought my tuff country stuff, suspension connection. You can get longer rubber hoses if you want cheaper. Just buy them for an 85 2wd c10. That's what I originally did. Plenty long up front. I will say I'm not a huge fan of the shocks. I'll be going with fox or bilstein whenever I get around to ordering shocks and taller hoops up front.

with regards to the "kit" not fitting with a diesel, it fits but tuff country makes a HD version for the front with an extra leaf. You might be better off just piecing your own kit together on suspension connection.

Last edited:

Prflyer

I have all stock suspension on my M1031 and run humvv tires and 37's with minimal rub in some angles. The larger tires are extremely comfortable in city and highway. I also don't do heavy offroading so it works out. Have you tried just fitting the 35's and see how it woks and looks?

Attachments

Ilikemtb999

Looking at that picture, I don't see how that could even be possible to not rub like crazy while driving. It looks like it's rubbing in that pic just sitting there lol. My 35's rubbed turning out of my driveway with a 2" lift. I also have as much backspacing as I possibly could to get them tucked in as far as they could.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With 35s on "normal" offset wheels, this is how much I cut on a 3/4-ton Suburban.
And I think that a lift is largely irrelevant, unless the bump stops are lowered accordingly, or the springs so stiff that they don't really move much.DSCN0466[1].jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What front axle? The Dana 60 is a wider track than a 10 bolt or d44 by 2".
I know, and it makes me wish I remembered the tire size on the uncut M1008. I think those tires are about 33-1/2, on late model offset wheels.
Anyway, they do cause rub - on the drag link link, at full lock. But only when the tire chains are installed. I'll look at the size tomorrow.

Ilikemtb999

If he went the usual cheap small lift kit it would probably be fine with a 35/12.5/15 tire and maybe a bit of trimming since it sounds like he's mostly on the road. I don't think I'd go over a 33" tire though with stock axles and 3.08 gearing on an m1009.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If he went the usual cheap small lift kit it would probably be fine with a 35/12.5/15 tire and maybe a bit of trimming since it sounds like he's mostly on the road. I don't think I'd go over a 33" tire though with stock axles and 3.08 gearing on an m1009.
I put 35x12.50R15s on 10" wheels on my first M1009, to be able to drive the freeways around L.A. Sure wasn't the best on the 8-mile stretch of 8% grade along the way home, though. Okay, I think an M1009 is a slug with stock tires, and it was really bad with 35s.
A turbo, 700R4, and 4.10 gears fixed that.

Prflyer

To be honest, I have no idea but they do not rub, it looks close but nothing. today I did my step daughter's move to her new house and loaded it to the max since I only wanted to do one trip lol! and did not rub at all

nathus

Hi all,

I really apreciate your comments !
The 37s looks huge btw !!! :) So cool !

Honnestly I don't know if I want to run with 35s , first I wanted to keep my 33s but as more as I am looking at pics, the look of the 35s is nice !
Again, I'm doing all of this only for the look.
I don't care about offroad capabilities, it doesn't look nice for me to get these trucks in mud, water and bumbs because of their age.
You don't want to shake an old lady, right :) ?
Kidding

Mostly important for me is the look. A lot of k5 or M1009 are lifted in your country and the look is directly different, even with small tires.

I want to make it higher but I don't want to cut my fenders, I don't want to replace my driveshaft nor destroy it after a few miles. I can live with new brakelines and steering ajsuting but that's it. I need something easy to instal and to bring with me.
The max would be a 4 " lift kit but the 3" looks nice also. I guess lower is better for the driveshaft ?
2" why not, but it gives me the feeling that I can be full of regrets after installing it ; because the difference is not sooo big with the normal set.
Altought I havn't seen a lot of pictures with a 2" kit, even on google.

Tuff counrty seems to be the most common brand for k5, a lot of people are realy happy with it. But it's still hard to find people who explain exactly what they bought and what they changed on the truck...

Again thanks to all of you to comment this thread !
Regards from belgium

Nathan

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know, and it makes me wish I remembered the tire size on the uncut M1008. I think those tires are about 33-1/2, on late model offset wheels.
Anyway, they do cause rub - on the drag link link, at full lock. But only when the tire chains are installed. I'll look at the size tomorrow.
Okay, they're 255/85R16s, which is nominally just a hair over 33 inches. On 8-inch rims, by the way, so the hub still sticks out a little past the wheel.

Ilikemtb999

Hi all,

I really apreciate your comments !
The 37s looks huge btw !!! :) So cool !

Honnestly I don't know if I want to run with 35s , first I wanted to keep my 33s but as more as I am looking at pics, the look of the 35s is nice !
Again, I'm doing all of this only for the look.
I don't care about offroad capabilities, it doesn't look nice for me to get these trucks in mud, water and bumbs because of their age.
You don't want to shake an old lady, right :) ?
Kidding

Mostly important for me is the look. A lot of k5 or M1009 are lifted in your country and the look is directly different, even with small tires.

I want to make it higher but I don't want to cut my fenders, I don't want to replace my driveshaft nor destroy it after a few miles. I can live with new brakelines and steering ajsuting but that's it. I need something easy to instal and to bring with me.
The max would be a 4 " lift kit but the 3" looks nice also. I guess lower is better for the driveshaft ?
2" why not, but it gives me the feeling that I can be full of regrets after installing it ; because the difference is not sooo big with the normal set.

Tuff counrty seems to be the most common brand for k5, a lot of people are realy happy with it. But it's still hard to find people who explain exactly what they bought and what they changed on the truck...

Again thanks to all of you to comment this thread !
Regards from belgium

Nathan
My m1009 is a 2" lift, specifically the tuff country hd 2" lift springs in the front.

GPrez

Here are pics of my M1009 before I sold it. It has a 2-1/2" Pro Comp lift and 33" BF Goodrich KM2 Mud terrain on Mickey Thompson wheels.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nathan, you may want to go to your local library. If they have Four Wheeler Magazine, look through the 1980 through 1990 issues.
There should be hundreds of photos of lifted Chevys, ranging from two inches to ridiculous, an dozens of installation stories.

nathus

Here are pics of my M1009 before I sold it. It has a 2-1/2" Pro Comp lift and 33" BF Goodrich KM2 Mud terrain on Mickey Thompson wheels.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the pictures !
I love it !!!
Perfect size of wheels, it's proportional.
Were you happy of this kit ? What did you put in the back ?
How does it ride , better than standard or a little worse ?
What did you have to adapt ? Steering, brakes, driveshaft ?

Thanks already for your help.
Nathan

nathus

Nathan, you may want to go to your local library. If they have Four Wheeler Magazine, look through the 1980 through 1990 issues.
There should be hundreds of photos of lifted Chevys, ranging from two inches to ridiculous, an dozens of installation stories.
Unfortunatly, I won't find anything here.
Trucks and custom trucks are very uncommon in Belgium. Very hard to find books or magazines about it.
There are maybe 5-10 truck like this one it the hole country.
Most of them d'ont ride anymore....
Find parts is a nightmare or very expesive.
Europe is different guys :) hahah

nathus

My m1009 is a 2" lift, specifically the tuff country hd 2" lift springs in the front.
sorry I rember now, I have saved your pictures already! :)
But, you had to cut the fenders and put a shackle flip the back right ?
I love the result but I want something a little more easy to instal... :(
And I don't want to cut

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks